In and out of Ketosis?

Options
parkdad73
parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
How long does it take to get into Ketosis? Based on the answer what happens if you fall out of it. Does it take as long to get back into it?

Replies

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Generally, the first time you try to find your way into Ketosis, it takes about 6-8 weeks to fully adapt. However, you will probably feel good in about 1-3 weeks. If you've been in Ketosis for a while, over 6-8 weeks, it generally shouldn't take too long to find yourself back in Ketosis after a "cheat meal" or something of that nature. A couple days maybe? As long as you're keeping your carbs low, and your fats high, you shouldn't need to worry about bouncing in and out.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I can generally get myself back into ketosis after one cheat meal in less than 24 hours, butttt. . .hmm. Probably not in a way that would be worth it to you. I exercise as hard as I can as long as I can, try to burn at least a thousand calories (I can burn 2200 on a long hike, so not unachievable). I eat 0 carbs.

The more realistic answer is a couple or 3 days.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    generally I am measurably back in ketosis within 72 hours. I have no way of measuring adaptation but if the carb use is short in duration (2 hours to the hours), I can feel signs of adaptation (waking up early, energy in the afternoon) within 7 days. If the cheat was longer feeling the benefits again can take weeks.
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was just confused because I was reading about a body builders alternate version of the diet where you carb up once a week. It just seed counter to what else I was reading.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of different ways to implement / utilize ketosis. Sounds like you were reading about targeted ketogenic or cyclical ketogenic...I guess it would depend on what your goals with LCHF / ketosis are overall.