Protein Intake While LCing

Options
karirenae
karirenae Posts: 106 Member
Ok, I just read that too much protein can kick you out of ketosis... how do I know how much protein to have daily? Is there a magic number like the carbs are 20g or under... Ive heard that you should have so many grams per body weight.... if I am 170 lbs, how many should I have to stay in ketosis? I never thought of any of this!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Realistically, you would have to eat an unreasonable amount of protein to kick yourself out. Don't stress about It.

Here is a discussion of it.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketoscience/comments/228n7h/excess_protein_does_not_negate_ketosis/

Also, there's more threads under ketoscience.

As personal anecdote, I have tested blood ketones after a meal of over 140g of protein (on a day with over 200g total) and still had a measurement of 0.7 (anything 0.5 or higher is ketosis).
  • tracyscarpello
    tracyscarpello Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. I've been wondering about this myself. I feel like I should say "explain this to me like I'm 5 years old."

Can someone explain to me how long it takes food to be metabolized? I would prefer to eat once or twice a day (in a 6 hour window) but I also eat late at night. I've been afraid that this would cause blood sugar spikes.

It's hard to know what's "enough" "too much" etc. Or is it really as simple as keeping carbs low? Under 50 now and considering between 50 and 100 carbs depending on how I fee.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    IMO, it is as simple as keeping carbs low. I've eaten once a day before, often right before bed, without effecting my weight loss. I've measured blood glucose, even high amounts never raised it to any significant degree. So, I wouldn't worry about a steak late at night causing problems.

Now, if you're eating 50g of sugar, you'll probably see a spike. But, if you're eating low-glycemic carbs, it won't be a problem. That's the reason I can't give a "ELI5" for you. It depends on exactly where your carbs are coming from.
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree It would be impossible without supplimenting very intentionally with protein. I kicked myself out with protein but that was with doing the body builder's 1gram protein for 1gram weight. It was really a ridiculous amount.
  • tracyscarpello
    tracyscarpello Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's very useful info and sets my mind at ease alot. I tried whey protein powder but it made me quite ill.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I don't pay a great deal of attention to protein at all. I have a number set in my diary as a ballpark figure, but I let hunger cues handle the bulk of my daily protein needs. If your meals follow the "meat plus veggie " formula, protein will generally fall right about where you need it, anyway, without much need to artificially increase or decrease protein intake.