Havings issues...

Options
ahjenny
ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
I've been paleo (minus some minor amounts of dairy) for about a month now. I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Then when I started keto about a week ago, I gained 5 pounds back and I can't shake it for anything. I've been in mild ketosis (pink to lighter purple on ketostix) for the last week, and keeping my total carbs under 50. I've been tweaking my fat/protein intakes since I may have been eating too much protein. I've been working out 3 days a week, with 20 minutes on the elliptical and rotating strength training between arm and leg days.

I'm only worried about the weight loss portion because I foolishly joined a dietbet game and I am probably not going to lose those 5 pounds I gained back to get to my goal and I will lose the game. I am not going to join another dietbet game again, because it makes me too scale-focused.

My nose has been slightly runny for a majority of this past week, and my skin is freaking out. I have patches on my legs that are super sensitive and they can't tolerate diluted magnesium oil (that didn't bother them before). My forehead, and the areas below my nose and above my chin are breaking out and are itchier than all get out. This is not normal for me... I don't have to use products on my face ever, and the limited amount of stuff that I have is not working. It's any wonder I haven't scratched my face off.

Any insights would be appreciated. (I also posted this in the keto forum).

Replies

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    We cannot see your diary, so are comments will be based off of total guessing and conjecture. The most we can say is you're doing something wrong, or you're eating something you shouldn't, or don't blah, blah, blah.

First thought, stress is a killer. Also, much of the initial weight loss that occurs in such a large amount when switching to paleo occurs due to shedding water that is stored in excess. Same with initial low carb diet loss.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had a similar reaction (unbearably itchy face) early on in my keto journey. Are you taking any vitamin D in supplements, by chance?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It also could be a food allergy. Food allergies can cause inflammation=water weight and itching. Have you eaten more of something you normally don't? Anything new recently?
  • PrimalRemedy
    PrimalRemedy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Classic symptoms of dairy allergy. Many people think dairy allergy is only lactose allergy but there are several parts of dairy you could be reacting to, including whey or casein.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My first couple of months Paleo went the same way - I had a breakout on my face that took a month or two to go away, but now my skin is great. I lost a bunch of weight at first but like they say it was the initial watershed, blah blah. Also check into "low-carb flu". I did keep losing weight, though, you will lose those 5 lbs again pretty fast if you're doing everything right (for you). Keep drinking water, and taking body measurements when you aren't seeing results on the scale. Those are my thoughts, not gospel. :wink:
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My first couple of months Paleo went the same way - I had a breakout on my face that took a month or two to go away, but now my skin is great. I lost a bunch of weight at first but like they say it was the initial watershed, blah blah. Also check into "low-carb flu". I did keep losing weight, though, you will lose those 5 lbs again pretty fast if you're doing everything right (for you). Keep drinking water, and taking body measurements when you aren't seeing results on the scale. Those are my thoughts, not gospel. :wink:
  • PrimalRemedy
    PrimalRemedy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The breakouts could also be die-off, or Herxheimer effect, especially if you had any lingering Candida going on. You may be detoxing. If that is the case, within a few weeks it will go away. You are literally healing from the inside, out. I have gone through this 3 x in the last 10 years as I moved closer to going Paleo, healing my gut and removing food allergens/sensitivities.