where do they come from?

Options
K8cain
K8cain Posts: 14 Member
Just curious but where do all the Carbs come from in a starbucks caramel frappacino??? A tall has 47 whopping carbs!!!! Was hoping to sneak one in as a treat once or twice a month but THAT'S not worth it!!!

Replies

• ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sugar from the Carmel, syrup, and whipped cream would be my guess!
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You can make your own pretty easily. Here's a good recipe, just add sugar-free caramel syrup: http://healthyindulgences.net/2012/03/my-recipe-for-a-sugar-free-healthy-frappucino-frozen-coffee-drink-move-over-starbucks-2-2/

She has a few more Starbucks recipes: http://healthyindulgences.net/category/beverages/
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use their brewed unsweetened concentrate for homemade frappi's which is very convenient vs having to make your own.
    Also if i am in a special treat mode i add a pinch Bob's Red Mill Gum Xanthan which sticks the ingredients together so they don't separate after blended. Also a excellent thickener..

14648884497_afa2ced249_b.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    K8cain wrote: »
    Just curious but where do all the Carbs come from in a starbucks caramel frappacino??? A tall has 47 whopping carbs!!!! Was hoping to sneak one in as a treat once or twice a month but THAT'S not worth it!!!

Frappucino ingredients is something along the lines of:

Coffee
    Skim milk
    Sugar (may not be separate from the syrup in the made one, but is in the bottled version)
    Caramel flavoring/syrup

The milk, sugar, and flavoring add to your carb count. Frankly? It's not that good to be worth it. Starbucks in general isn't that good, in my opinion. Find yourself a good local coffee shop and get something from there, instead. Ask for half and half (or better yet, heavy cream) to further cut down the carb count.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, here's the thing about frapps, they all use a "base" it's like glue, keeps things all emulsified. It has a huge amount of carbs, and without it the frapp isn't a frapp. There is no sugar free version. If you ask that a frapp be made sugar free the syrup (carmel, mocha, peppermint etc) will be sugar free. The base and the coffee flavor (which isn't shots of expresso, it comes in a jug and is sweetened), cannot be made sugar free.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, here's the thing about frapps, they all use a "base" it's like glue, keeps things all emulsified. It has a huge amount of carbs, and without it the frapp isn't a frapp. There is no sugar free version. If you ask that a frapp be made sugar free the syrup (carmel, mocha, peppermint etc) will be sugar free. The base and the coffee flavor (which isn't shots of expresso, it comes in a jug and is sweetened), cannot be made sugar free.

Ew... all the more reason to go with a local coffee shop that sells real coffee drinks (where you can see them steam the milk, grind the coffee/espresso beans, and add the syrup).
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

14648884497_afa2ced249_b.jpg

Not to be nitpicky but the nutrition label lists 10 calories with zero everything. 10 calories is 2.5g carbs. Not a big deal if you are having 1 a day, but if you go through the 6 servings listed, you are now at 15g. Just food for thought (no pun intended)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    yeah i have only one every month or so buts its a nice substitute than getting a frappi directly at starbucks and much more cheaper.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I use their brewed unsweetened concentrate for homemade frappi's which is very convenient vs having to make your own.
    Also if i am in a special treat mode i add a pinch Bob's Red Mill Gum Xanthan which sticks the ingredients together so they don't separate after blended. Also a excellent thickener..

I wonder if adding a teeny bit of xanthan gum would help make my BPTea stay emulsified... Food for thought.