Havings issues...

Options
ahjenny
ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
I've been paleo (minus some minor amounts of dairy) for about a month now. I lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Then when I started keto about a week ago, I gained 5 pounds back and I can't shake it for anything. I've been in mild ketosis (pink to lighter purple on ketostix) for the last week, and keeping my total carbs under 50. I've been tweaking my fat/protein intakes since I may have been eating too much protein. I've been working out 3 days a week, with 20 minutes on the elliptical and rotating strength training between arm and leg days.

I'm only worried about the weight loss portion because I foolishly joined a dietbet game and I am probably not going to lose those 5 pounds I gained back to get to my goal and I will lose the game. I am not going to join another dietbet game again, because it makes me too scale-focused.

My nose has been slightly runny for a majority of this past week, and my skin is freaking out. I have patches on my legs that are super sensitive and they can't tolerate diluted magnesium oil (that didn't bother them before). My forehead, and the areas below my nose and above my chin are breaking out and are itchier than all get out. This is not normal for me... I don't have to use products on my face ever, and the limited amount of stuff that I have is not working. It's any wonder I haven't scratched my face off.

Any insights would be appreciated. (I also posted this in the keto and primal/paleo forums).

Replies

• mrkylematthewj
    mrkylematthewj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The symptoms you have posted sounds like a reaction to something? figuring out what is a big issue though.Could be food related or something else.

My first question when somebody puts on weight and isn't sure how is always "How do you look?,How do you feel?" Because people shouldn't be ruled by what the scale says.it can downright lie to you and make you feel terrible if you let it.

Im on a ketogenic eating plan right now and cant say iv had any side effects but we are all different.whats the difference in your paleo diet to ketogenic diet? more/less dairy?,less carbs? is there a new type of food your eating regular?

Don't be disheartened.finding out what works for you is always the trickiest part
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'd tell you not to worry about things like this. When your body is healing and getting healthier, it often prioritizes things besides weight loss. The inclusion of a diet bet and a deadline does further complicate things.

How much longer do you have on the bet? How much do you need to be down (from where you are at this moment)?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Is there something specific you added when starting keto that you weren't using before? That sounds more like an allergic reaction.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking allergic reaction too. Have you added anything specific to your diet lately? Also since you mentioned skin reactions, have you changed any soaps or lotions?
  • ahjenny
    Options
    I haven't changed soaps or lotions. The only thing I can think of is that I've been using a bit more coconut oil in my cooking. Maybe I need to pare that back and work my way up?

As for the bet, my scale is really messing up. I weighed myself twice today (to give more information to the customer service rep, if they ever bother to respond to me) and in two hours, it said I lost 7 pounds. I think I either need to get my scale fixed or buy a new one. After this dietbet, I'm not going to do another one. I hate obsessing over the number on the scale. I did take my measurements and will be comparing them at the beginning of April.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Could it be stress?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes, ditch the coconut oil for now. It can cause detox symptoms. I love LCHF and wouldn't want to dissuade you, but for many people paleo is a perfectly good diet. Is there a reason you decided to switch when you were doing so well on it?
  • ahjenny
    Options
    I'm not more stressed than usual. I am still following paleo with a glass of milk once in a while, but I started LCHF because I want to keep my blood sugar levels in check, since I have a family history of diabetes.
  • ahjenny
    Options
    Is it possible that I'm doing too many changes too soon?
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ahjenny wrote: »
    Is it possible that I'm doing too many changes too soon?

Can you detail exactly what changes you made going from paleo to LCHF? That might help pinpoint what's causing the issues.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you are using a digital scale, they are notorious for not being accurate. A "balance beam scale" is much more accurate.

Make sure your scale is on a hard floor (not carpet or rugs). Look up how to calibrate your scale and do it. Make sure you have new batteries in it. Then, stand on and off it several times and see if it repeats the same weight. If it doesn't, it may be time to get a better scale.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatrics (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
    My Blog: Intermittent Water Fasting & Keto
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    5 pounds is very easily attributed to water weight. Assuming that three weeks of weight loss on paleo is the past three weeks, then you've only just now completed a monthly cycle. Hormones play a big part in water retention. Give it a week before you freak out. It may very well just be a week that you're up a little because of where you're at in your cycle.

And for the love of all that is good in this world, don't weigh yourself multiple times a day, especially given your reaction to the numbers you see on it, otherwise you're going to drive yourself insane. Your weight can fluctuate as much as 10 pounds throughout the day, depending on a number of factors. Weigh once in the morning, after you go to the bathroom, before you get dressed. Log it for the data point and forget it.

And read this -- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants?new=1
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Yes, ditch the coconut oil for now. It can cause detox symptoms. I love LCHF and wouldn't want to dissuade you, but for many people paleo is a perfectly good diet. Is there a reason you decided to switch when you were doing so well on it?

I was thinking detox symtom too.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I also had wild and wacky skin reactions in week two of adjusting to Keto (didn't have until I seriously stepped down, and probably around when I added coconut oil). I stayed the course and am having less issues just a few days later. I'm still having what seems to be the detoxing effect of the coconut oil, but I'm sure it will level out soon, too (it's already much less)... Good to have the info.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Didn't think about it earlier, but it could also be "keto rash" (prurigo pigmentosa) http://www.theketorash.com. Take a look and see if your symptoms fit.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Luckily that doesn't seem to be me, @Mistizoom . I had a little bit of splotches like that on the underside of my forearms and on my lower legs, but in glancing now, it's all gone. My skin is still dry, but that's partially because weather here is still ridiculous, and probably partially because I'm in week 3 of keto, I think.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to that blog Mistizoom, I read some of it and am thankful my slight rash is no where near as bad as the poor folks on there. Some personal thoughts, at least one commenter there mentioned anti fungal theory as a possible treatment and this sort of resonated with me.
    Before I started a keto diet a week ago, (I 'm in ketosis currently) I suspected I was experiencing some form of candida again. The first time I had a yeast problem, I made a tea like drink using Pao d'arco, which I think is an anti fungal. There was a period of detox I experienced much like the keto flu when I went on a candida diet.
    For those who aren't familiar, that diets aim is to starve an overgrowth of toxic yeast in the system. I can't remember after all these years what if any similarities there are between the two diets but at the time it did help me.
    I do admit that I tend to believe in the the body detoxing and all the gunk that could be stored in fat. The skin is our largest organ and is a last defense for purging toxins. By the time it gets to that, the body has already been struggling to eliminate through other organs first. At least that is what I was taught in esthetician class years ago.