Pretty new to mfp and fitbit

Options
I am very active. Active enough that my trainer is having me back off. One of the things I have started to realize with mfp, is that I was under eating calories. I bought the charge hr in attempt to actually monitor calories burned during exercise. I'm having trouble between the two. Do I need to manually enter my activity under exercise? The fit bit only seems to be giving mfp calories for how far I walked. I lift, do speed and agility training as well as intense interval runs. I've cut my running back from 5/6 days to 3 max per week.

I have 20 lbs to lose, and have tremendous trouble losing weight.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Fitbit tells MFP your Total Calories Burned for the day. Your adjustment is the difference between what MFP expected you to burn and what Fitbit tracked your burn as.

examples:
    bi0mh6089g2f.jpg
    jybahwkvef71.jpg

The HR model should base some of your calorie burn based on your HR. However, I'm not sure if this kicks in when you hit a certain HR or if it only does it when in exercise mode (hold down the button till it vibrates is what I've read...I have the surge which is a little different in accessing the mode).

Hope that helps some.
    1.JPG 34.5K
    2.JPG 33.2K
  • stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are issues with the syncing of the apps. You will see that many people are having problems including myself. Don't touch a thing to mfp sorts it's crap out.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    jpettolina wrote: »
    I am very active. Active enough that my trainer is having me back off. One of the things I have started to realize with mfp, is that I was under eating calories. I bought the charge hr in attempt to actually monitor calories burned during exercise. I'm having trouble between the two. Do I need to manually enter my activity under exercise? The fit bit only seems to be giving mfp calories for how far I walked. I lift, do speed and agility training as well as intense interval runs. I've cut my running back from 5/6 days to 3 max per week.

I have 20 lbs to lose, and have tremendous trouble losing weight.

You need to manually enter non-step based activity, as your FitBit isn't going to be very accurate for things like lifting. I recommend reading the FAQ that heybales wrote.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy#latest
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    jpettolina wrote: »
    Do I need to manually enter my activity under exercise? The fit bit only seems to be giving mfp calories for how far I walked. I lift, do speed and agility training as well as intense interval runs. I've cut my running back from 5/6 days to 3 max per week.

No need to log any step-based activity, as your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Non-step activity (such as swimming or biking) can be logged either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. It will take trial & error to find which you prefer.

Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so I log in Fitbit.
  • MrsFairey87
    MrsFairey87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need some friends that use fitbit and mfp if anyone wants to add me feel free xxx
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I need some friends that use fitbit and mfp if anyone wants to add me feel free xxx

To add you as a Fitbit friend, people need your public URL. To find yours, go to Fitbit.com and click your profile pic at top right.

There are lots of threads in this group where people have posted their public URL. Click the link, then on "+ Add friend" at the top left, underneath their name.