Pull-ups help

Options
Marchmallow
Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
I desperately want to do pull-ups, they work all the muscles that I most need to work on. But at the moment, they're impossible - my upper body is really weak and I'm carrying about 50lbs that I need to lose. The fat's coming off, but in the meantime I've got this pull-up bar mocking me. I can do assisted ones with a chair (but so can anyone) but is this really how I'm going to build up the strength to do real ones? I bought resistance bands that support about half of my weight, but still can't manage one even with those.

So my question is, what strength moves can I do that will build the strength I need to start doing proper pull-ups? Or is it not feasible carrying 50lbs of extra weight? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Look up convict conditioning for pull ups. It is a progression plan that I know a lot of people seem to like :)

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'd recommend inverted rows, barbell pull-overs, and, if you can, assisted chin-ups or pull-ups (resting your feet on something for support)

I freakin' love inverted rows (aka bodyweight rows). They are a great compound movement and a good way to work your lats and back. If you're not familiar with them:
    http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/horizontal-pulls-progression.html or http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/06/inverted-row-are-you-missing-out-on-this-great-exercise/
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have/had the same goal. I finally got to a full unassisted pull up last year, but then with a few breaks, I'm back to not being able to do them. I can do half one, so I've just got to keep at it.

The biggest thing I think is consistency, keep working at it! These things helped me:

*Inverted rows, as above, they helped build up some back strength.
    *Resistance bands, I had varying levels and progressed through them, I'm not sure if they helped me get to an unassisted pull up, but I liked that they made me feel like I was getting closer as I reduced the resistance and I think it was good for practising the movement.
    *Negatives, jumping up and lowering yourself down as slowly as possible. When I first started, there was barely any slowing, I just dropped, now I'm getting really good at it and can take 25-30 seconds lowering!
    *Half pull ups, starting with arms at 90 degrees and pulling up from there. And also the first part to 90 degrees.
    *Practicing, all. the. time. This was when I noticed the most improvement and finally got there. Every time I walked past the pull up bar I had a go. I think people call that greasing the groove or something.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Get a bigger resistance band. I use a black one and can do about 3 with it and Im 217lb. Also start with jumping pull ups and just try and hold it at the top even if its for a nano second it will start to engage the muscles. And if you have a gym buddy do negatives get them to assist you on the way up then resist on the way down
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had a good outcome with the assisted pull-up machine at a gym?
    Thanks!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My PT seems to think they arent much cop so not tried it sorry
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is the method that I am using right now:
    How To Do Your First Pullup! (Then 8 more!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

No bands or machines, all you need is a bar and something to stand on. It starts out with just doing negative chin-ups as phase 1, and then it progresses through different phases eventually working your way up to doing complete pull-ups. It is a hell of a workout for your lats and arms! I am on phase 2 right now.
  • girlnamedsarah
    girlnamedsarah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had success with the assisted pull-up machine at the gym. I began with my body weight and then lowered it as I got stronger. It took about 3 months of doing it three times a week, several sets. As of 3 weeks ago I did my first unassisted pull-up. As of Friday, I can do one set of 8, then 5 and 1. I'm working towards 3 sets of 10.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice work.

I tried to use the assisted "chin-up/dip" machine at the gym but the weights only help me get to where the top of my head is near the handles, it doesn't go far enough up for me to get my chin up with assistance. Guess there is a slight height requirement on that machine, lol.
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. I've never been able to do a pull up. I recently got a thick band to assist and even with that I can only do 4. But I feel it working