Post VSG looking for support and motivation

Options
Skrymmorie
Skrymmorie Posts: 30 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Hi, my name is Frances. I've been overweight pretty much all my life. I tried a lot of dieting over the years, sometimes with my mom, sometimes on my own, or alongside friends, but I could never hit the weight loss goals I wanted, and would eventually become demotivated and gain any loss back, and then some. In July 2014, I had VSG after playing with the idea for years, and having a few friends undergo WLS and see positive results. I finally made the decision because I hit 430 lbs at 28 yrs old. I managed to lose 19 lbs prior to surgery, making me 411 lbs, but since surgery, now 7 months out, I still have only managed a grand total of weight loss of about 65 lbs, including my pre-op loss. I lost my dad 3 months after surgery, and he was my biggest supporter in my weight loss, and then in December, I got engaged. I lost my motivation last year after my dad died, and have been trying to get it back. I am going to start tracking my eating on MFP again, but I don't generally eat much anyway. I know my biggest hurdle to overcome is to get active. I feel like my body has accommodated my decreased calorie intake by just slowing my calorie burn, and I need to get in gear to up my expenditure ( my doctor and nutritionist concur). I'm hoping joining this group will help motivate me to work out more, and get back in the mindset that led me to getting surgery in the first place. I currently just want to get under 300 lbs, which I haven't seen since probably high school. If I can get there, then I know I can keep going.

Replies

• lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! They people in this group have been very motivating and supportive, feel free to add me as a friend if you's like :) Best wishes! You can do it!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances! Welcome back!! I am 3 week post op and find this group to be wonderful for support and encouragement! Timing seems perfect for the new challenge that is starting tomorrow! It would be a great opportunity for you to meet another member and get some extra support and encouragement! Good Luck!
    For our next Challenge:
    We are going to try something a little different, PARTNERS! We will team up as a 2 partner "team" for this challenge! I will go through and see all who have signed up and pair you with a teammate. (*) I will have you partnered up by Sunday so let me know you're in! (*) (I have no problem with special requests for your partner, so bring a friend!!) The partner is just someone to keep you accountable & involved in the challenge. You would be each others personal cheerleader! ;) Anyone can still jump in on the challenge anytime and we will pair you up as you sign on. If you'd prefer to go solo, No Problem just shoot me an email and let me know!

When you join the challenge simply reply to this thread with the following info:
    your CW (current weight)
    your GW (goal weight for the end of the challenge 5-3-2015)
    THEN
    ANY personal goals you want to work on during these 8 weeks for example:
    (*) cardio 3 X's a week
    (*) weight lifting 2 X's a week
    (*) Get in at least 8 cups of water a day
    (*) Log In Food Diary X amount of times per week
    (*) Get into those old Jeans!!
    (*) Be the best looking Bride/Groom or Bridesmaid this June!! o:)

Whatever it is you find you need to really focus in on.

I would just ask if you "sign up" for the challenge you don't bail on your partner! Once you have your partner become MFP friends with them and interact with each other. Also, stop by the thread periodically (daily, weekly, bi-weekly) to let the group know how you are doing and of course get advice & SUPPORT if you need it!

We have lots of new members and this is a great way to "meet" one another and get proactive with your goals! As of today we have over 2745 members in this group!!

We won't have a weekly weigh in and you won't get kicked out of the challenge. We will still keep it open for people to jump into the challenge AT ANY TIME during the 8 weeks. It is just a way to set goals for yourself, sorta put it all out there and see where it takes you!

5of1x3.jpg
    2s7jaxk.jpg
    214qaue.jpg
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances, I wish you so much luck in your new endeavor. You can do it! I am going to have RNY surgery on Monday, and if you'd like I'd be glad to be friends to help support each other. Have a great weekend!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I think once you add in exercise, you will see your metabolism increase and your weight loss move again. Best wishes!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances! I just had RNY surgery in February. One of my biggest challenges is getting more active, too. Sending a friend request so we can support each other!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances, you can do this. Try back to basics protein needs are your current weight times 0.3 each day. Water 36 to 64 oz each day. Eat 3 meals and 2 protein shakes as snakes. Skip counting carbs you won't have room for them. No sweeteners or sugars.
    Exercise the best solution would be swimming or water aerobic exercise.

About me I had my sleeve in July 286 pounds today I'm 185 with a BMI of 27 . I'm a retired nurse. My Dr said I'm at maintenance now but I still have work to do. I need to get my fat ratio down to 7% by increasing muscle mass. Only then will I be done. The increased muscle mass will consume my calories thus making it permanent.

Randy RN
  • stephenbernierla
    stephenbernierla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone that will be your exercise buddy? If not, a personal trainer may help you even if once or twice a week. My trainer helped me develop a sense of accountability with going to the gym. Still wish I had some fellow WLS friends to buddy up with at the gym. I lost contact with most that were in the same class I was in.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Start by walking everyday! Do what you can, then walk a bit farther. Each day do your walk. At the end of the month tell us how you did! I know how hard it is losing your dad. He would be proud of you! You can do this!
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Frances,
    I was almost 400 lbs when I started this journey, so I know exactly how you feel. 65 lbs is great! Slow & steady will win the race. Just don't give up. Don't give in to old habits. Are you a stress eater - I sure AM - not I sure was, I AM still a stress/emotional eater. Every day I feel the urge to overeat. But just 30 lbs from my goal (not since 8th grade) weight, I can tell you not giving up is SO worth it. Add me as a friend & I'll support you in any questions I can. Stay strong - you can do this!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I had surgery in Nov 2014. I too find it easier to watch the calorie intake than to commit to exercise. However, my dr told me I would not get to the goal weight I wanted unless I exercised-- so I do. I started out walking on a treadmill and have continued to increase my pace and added some elevation intervals as I got better at it. Start with a goal of just doing some kind of exercise and when that has become a routine, then you can start increasing intensity. Make it a priority in your day and you will reach your goal. Best wishes.