Help

Options
Peggy108
Peggy108 Posts: 32 Member
I have hit a place where depression is winning. Every part of my body hurts. It is so hard to move and I really don't want to even try. I still work full time but it is hard. I am embarrassed about my size, about having so many things wrong with me. I try and always seem to get off track. So... here I go again. I would love positive thoughts and help with baby steps. At the moment I have no identification with people who post they walked 2 miles today. I am glad for them of course but it just makes me feel wimpy and hopeless.

Replies

• craftscout
    craftscout Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just found this group, and haven't even actually joined yet, but the first couple of sentences of your post sounded really familiar, and I wanted to say something. Yes, every part hurts. And when you start moving parts of you that aren't used to moving, it hurts even more. I decided to start really losing weight, instead of just talking about it, because my knees hurt so bad I nearly cried everytime I had to sit down or stand up.

There was nothing wrong with my knees, according to three different doctors. I believe they were just sick and tired of carrying around 395 pounds of weight all day long. And now that I have lost 100 pounds, they feel better. Not on the days when I am running and jumping and playing, but I CAN DO THOSE THINGS NOW.

I couldn't a year ago. I didn't start by running. I didn't start by walking 2 miles. I started by walking for 5-10 minutes after every meal. Just walking in circles around my living room. ANYTHING is better than NOTHING.

If your knees hurt, move your arms. If your arms hurt, then walk around. If they both hurt, then work on your abs, sitting up in bed, then lying down, then sitting up, then lying down. Do what you can, as you can. Baby steps are still steps.

You can do this, and you will be so proud of yourself for starting!
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Peggy108: it must have been difficult to come to these realization, it is not easy to feel motivated for others when your struggling so much. Take those baby steps look forward to tomorrow forget about yesterday's mistakes and some days your gonna have to fake it till you make it! I am not a "I walked 5 miles today" type of poster and you may add me if you want it's okay if your not always positive!
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Acknowledgement is the first step!!! This isn't a competition with other people, don't let their successes worry you. You are doing this for yourself! Your goal should be to be better than yesterday. Consistency is the only thing that will get you results. Even if it means just walking to the mailbox and back. You are in the drivers seat!! You can do it!!!
  • Peggy108
    Peggy108 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I appreciate it very much.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Exercise during weight loss is good for making sure that you don't lose as much muscle mass as fat, but on a reduced calorie intake you'll lose (regardless of what you eat).

Focus on that goal first, and over time you'll feel more able to exercise. Let the people that say they've walked two miles be a light at the end of the tunnel; I had trouble doing a portion of the exercise I'm able to do now, and that isn't a tenth of what I was once able to do.

It takes time either way. Be patient, slug it out, and you'll get there.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I also want to add that your post here, and calling out depression is a great first step.

Once you recognize and grasp what depression is and how it affects you, I personally think that it is easier to deal with moving forward.

This TED talk about depression is also really poignant. I like his description of depression being that voice that says all those horrible things about you. It helps you realize that it's not you, it's the voice, it's depression. You're worth more than that voice will ever let you believe.

Don't be afraid of counseling or therapy, and never discount that just trying is a huge accomplishment.
  • shamrocker182
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to the people around you, focus less on how you think people are looking at you, and more about how you're feeling, physically. Take it easy on yourself, if all you feel up to doing is logging what you eat, than just do that. If you go for a walk and only go a block, screw it. 1 block is better than no blocks, acknowledge it! People who don't have depression don't understand that sometimes it is a tiresome, and challenging task just to get out of bed and take shower, if that's all you do today than good for you. That's an accomplishment that you should acknowledge with positivity.
  • Charles1964
    Charles1964 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I understand Peggy.I was fine until 3 years ago.I broke my leg and shattered my knee.I still have a hard time getting around.I had a massive stroke in Jan.2014 which left me me blind in my visual left field.I was just 6 pounds shy of 400 pounds when I seen my doctor on Feb 26.I've been eating right now.Everyday I put on music and do my exercises on the sofa.It's far from walking 2 miles but one day I want to be able to do that