falling off the wagon

Options
Farmgirlfit85
Farmgirlfit85 Posts: 65 Member
Old story I'm sure. But over the last few days I've utterly given up on recording calories. Partly because I had friends in town, but honestly I just got tired of all that tracking. Normally I love my gym days and hit it with vigor, but even that has turned into a chore. Part of me just says to be happy at the weight I am at now but other parts are screaming are me to lose the bulge. I guess I'm just reaching out for motivation or some tips to re energize my routines!

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to be happy with your size while also finding tips on motivation: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/12/23/be-kind-yourself-youll-eat-better.

I would see if there is some sort of workout that you'd enjoy. I play field hockey so that has been my constant for the past 9 months. But it's ending so I need to find something new. I'm going to start the c25k programme tomorrow which will take over for it. I was forced to not workout (lift or run) since getting back from skiing on Feb 7 due to injury so I'm thrilled to be able to do so again. Perhaps find something that would be a cool new challenge - could you train for a race or do something like a tough mudder? Take up a sport or active activity?

For me, tracking has become a habit - other than holidays, I've done it every day since November, 2013. I feel it's helpful for me to do. The holidays have been great because it's given me a break from tracking and I get my enthusiasm back again. So, enjoy the time off if you need - perhaps give yourself a date to start anew. See how it feels. Sometimes you just need a diet break!
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to be happy with your size while also finding tips on motivation: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/12/23/be-kind-yourself-youll-eat-better.

I would see if there is some sort of workout that you'd enjoy. I play field hockey so that has been my constant for the past 9 months. But it's ending so I need to find something new. I'm going to start the c25k programme tomorrow which will take over for it. I was forced to not workout (lift or run) since getting back from skiing on Feb 7 due to injury so I'm thrilled to be able to do so again. Perhaps find something that would be a cool new challenge - could you train for a race or do something like a tough mudder? Take up a sport or active activity?

For me, tracking has become a habit - other than holidays, I've done it every day since November, 2013. I feel it's helpful for me to do. The holidays have been great because it's given me a break from tracking and I get my enthusiasm back again. So, enjoy the time off if you need - perhaps give yourself a date to start anew. See how it feels. Sometimes you just need a diet break!

completely agree, honestly some weeks i just say the hell with it and give myself a break. how long have you been logging?
  • lovtolaff
    lovtolaff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've slacked off too. I injured my back a couple of weeks ago and pretty much went off eating right and lifting all together. However, I'm psyching myself up to get back into both on a regular basis. If I don't log my food, I end up eating WAY too much.

One thing that helps me get motivated is to read success stories or even just come here and read the boards.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    I am technically training for a 5k. I need to re up my effort with that. Leooftheyear: I've been tracking fairly consistently for well over a year. Had a break for a while, gained weight, panicked and cracked down after holidays, to the point of eating 1400 cals. That was only for a few weeks until I found this group. I'm just feeling lost and fat lol. I know this will pass. I also wish I could afford a personal trainer! Someone to kick my *kitten* while I'm at ye gym!
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think give yourself a sensible break. Maybe don't track every calorie...just enjoy your food, try to eat in a way that make you feel good, balanced. Do some activities that sound fun. Then in a few days or a couple of weeks you will likely feel up for more tracking. Everyone needs a break.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I just came off of a week's logging and gym break and boy do I feel rejuvenated. My pre-workout shake even tasted good this morning, and usually I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I gained a pound but who cares? Off to the gym with a little more enthusiasm this morning. One of my issues was minor aches and pains from what was more than likely over-training, so I feel the break was just good for my old bones!

Sometimes it's just difficult to realize that this is our life now, logging, exercising, and never letting up for fear of going back to the way we were. It can be daunting I think. A break might do you good.
  • attackcat64
    attackcat64 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    From what I've read here and on the EM2WL forums/articles, I think it's a good idea to have a regular "break" for a few weeks every few months and focus more on intuitive eating. If you've been tracking for over a year, then you will likely have a ballpark idea of what you need to eat to fuel your body. If you keep in mind that you can take breaks when you need them, then I think it kind of loses control over you. You want to be mentally refreshed as well as physically, so when the break is over, you are motivated and ready to go.

I think finding a new challenge, sport, or physical activity may help as well. I try to change up my ST routine, and while I'm biking for cardio now, I may switch to Zumba or dance games for the Wii if I want something different. I also love swimming and hope to get back to that soon. Hopefully if I can change it up every few months, I'll be more motivated to stick with it.
  • Farmgirlfit85
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I had a very gluttonous weekend. I'm finding I lose all self control when I stop tracking. But I've got a fridge full of veggies to start over. I'm really sick of being at this weight. I'm ready to lose this baggage!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It's one of the reasons I'm still tracking. I'm getting better at it though, even on holiday. The longer you track, the more it becomes a way of seeing things and understanding true portions.