LCD for Vegetarians - is it do-able?

Options
LesleyJDee
LesleyJDee Posts: 10 Member
Noob here. I gave up sugar about a month ago and noticed a weight loss. I've since been researching related stuff (books, internet and videos) and finally landed here a couple of days ago.

I'm keen to try LCHF but it seems to require a lot of meat :o . I eat fish, eggs and dairy and of course veggies. Can someone maybe point me to where I need to go for more info? Are there any veggie LCDers here?

I've ordered a couple of books from Amazon on low carb eating/recipes for vegetarians but it's going to take them a while to get here (Australia).

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It could depend on low carb you want to go. Your biggest challenge will be protein. You eat eggs so that will help. Do you like tofu? It's high in protein. Also, beans are higher in carbs but depending on how low you want to go they could work. We have a couple folks here that do slow carbs, like South Beach. Maybe look into that for some guidelines? The biggest part of going low carb is increasing fat and there are several great plant based options.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I know there were a few LCHF vegetarians around, either here or on the Keto board. Hopefully one will chime in and help you out. I know someone just asked this on the PCOS board too. Maybe we need to make a sticky for vegetarian LCHF ppl so there is a go to place?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For another take: google eco-atkins.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    It could depend on low carb you want to go. Your biggest challenge will be protein. You eat eggs so that will help. Do you like tofu? It's high in protein. Also, beans are higher in carbs but depending on how low you want to go they could work. We have a couple folks here that do slow carbs, like South Beach. Maybe look into that for some guidelines? The biggest part of going low carb is increasing fat and there are several great plant based options.

You could EASILY do a vegetarian Slow carb. If you decide to go that route, I'd be happy to assist.
    There's a HUGE vegetarian and pescetarian (fish eating) South Beach diet following.

One great protein source for vegetarians on lower carb diets is BLACK soybeans.
    1/2 a cup is 11g protein, 8g carb, 7g fiber (120 calories).
    http://www.edenfoods.com/store/images/products/nlea/103050.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I don't count carbs, but when do I post-log lately (I've been doing a more strict slow carb approach) I have been averaging around 50 grams net or lower. I'm not vegetarian, but do go through phases where I eat no meat, no red-meat, etc. (Hubs is a vegetarian) Left to my own devices, I eat fish, but only eat red meat once in a while. My carbs are that low lately because I've been for-going bread for a while.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I was veg for almost two years, on my path to try and find ways to fight disease and inflammation...I gained an additional 30lbs doing that (but i learned to make a killer vegan mac and "cheese"). My fave thing to eat now is ribeye steak, with blue cheese and butter on top. Its delicious.

If you eat fish, eggs and dairy, you are really pescetarian & ova-lacto, and should not really have issues getting your protein requirements, since the protein requirement is moderate, not high...adding in fat is easy, especially if you do dairy. Cook your fish and eggs in butter. add olive oil. try coconut oil. You will more likely have issues with not over-doing carbs via your love for veg, and fruits if you still eat fruits (i'd reconsider that if you still do).

The one thing i'll strongly disagree with is adding tofu to the diet though...mainly because you will not find a non-gmo'd soybean on the planet. Unfermented soy is harmful to the thyroid also, and you totally don't want to jack with your thyroid, trust me. if you must eat soy...i'd probably stick to tempeh and the like. I loved my buffalo tempeh...lol

Good luck :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that about tofu and thyroid.
  • Alliwan
    Options

Tofu, which is soybean curd isnt good for hormone issues, either. Soy messes with hormones, especially increasing estrogen. So most women, but especially those with hormone issues like PCOS, are recommended to keep their soy intake to a bare minimum.

Which sucks when i saw my mayo was made with soybean oil. I need to make my own mayo, I know, I know, @Dragonwolf, I havent done it yet. But I will, bought avocado oil for it and everything :D

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I was veg for almost two years, on my path to try and find ways to fight disease and inflammation...I gained an additional 30lbs doing that (but i learned to make a killer vegan mac and "cheese"). My fave thing to eat now is ribeye steak, with blue cheese and butter on top. Its delicious.

If you eat fish, eggs and dairy, you are really pescetarian & ova-lacto, and should not really have issues getting your protein requirements, since the protein requirement is moderate, not high...adding in fat is easy, especially if you do dairy. Cook your fish and eggs in butter. add olive oil. try coconut oil. You will more likely have issues with not over-doing carbs via your love for veg, and fruits if you still eat fruits (i'd reconsider that if you still do).

The one thing i'll strongly disagree with is adding tofu to the diet though...mainly because you will not find a non-gmo'd soybean on the planet. Unfermented soy is harmful to the thyroid also, and you totally don't want to jack with your thyroid, trust me. if you must eat soy...i'd probably stick to tempeh and the like. I loved my buffalo tempeh...lol

My naturopath disagrees on both fronts about soy. She says if it says non-GMO it can be trusted. And she says I would have to eat a crap ton of it to have it affect my thyroid. In fact, she's more worried about hormones in beef, and the crap in salmon than the effects of soy.

Regardless, I eat soy beans, and we eat tofu.

PS: love your avatar. It's fabulous.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Tofu, which is soybean curd isnt good for hormone issues, either. Soy messes with hormones, especially increasing estrogen. So most women, but especially those with hormone issues like PCOS, are recommended to keep their soy intake to a bare minimum.

Which sucks when i saw my mayo was made with soybean oil. I need to make my own mayo, I know, I know, @Dragonwolf, I havent done it yet. But I will, bought avocado oil for it and everything :D

Again my naturopath (who's my menopause OBGYN) disagrees. She recommends phytoestrogens for me. Especially during this time.
    I won't speak for PCOS, as I don't have experience with that.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options

My naturopath disagrees on both fronts about soy. She says if it says non-GMO it can be trusted. And she says I would have to eat a crap ton of it to have it affect my thyroid. In fact, she's more worried about hormones in beef, and the crap in salmon than the effects of soy.

Regardless, I eat soy beans, and we eat tofu.

PS: love your avatar. It's fabulous.

Thanks. I enjoy being a ninja...lol

Its a lot easier for me to find farm-raised meat and wild salmon, than it is for me to find non-gmo'd soy.
  • Alliwan
    Options

Again my naturopath (who's my menopause OBGYN) disagrees. She recommends phytoestrogens for me. Especially during this time.

Isnt the HRT they use for menopause an estrogen replacement? If so, I can imagine her wanting you to eat soy instead because it would it would increase your estrogen, which is what a phytoestrogen does...hmm if i read Id have less DUH moments... :|

But with PCOS because most of us are high in estrogen already, it can be a major problem. But even for normal women, it can increase your estrogen. Might not be a problem for one and be a problem for someone else. Read a study somewhere a few years ago, id have to try to google it, that a largish soy consumption can even cause boys to grow breast tissue and possibly even lactate. IDK all the specifics on the study or where to get it, so dont freak out or quote me, but that always stuck with me.

Was just throwing out there why soy can be a problem for some, but good to know it is a good neuropathic replacement for HRT, which I am getting closer and closer to that time myself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options

Isnt the HRT they use for menopause an estrogen replacement? If so, I can imagine her wanting you to eat soy instead because it would it would increase your estrogen, which is what a phytoestrogen does...hmm if i read Id have less DUH moments... :|

But with PCOS because most of us are high in estrogen already, it can be a major problem. But even for normal women, it can increase your estrogen. Might not be a problem for one and be a problem for someone else. Read a study somewhere a few years ago, id have to try to google it, that a largish soy consumption can even cause boys to grow breast tissue and possibly even lactate. IDK all the specifics on the study or where to get it, so dont freak out or quote me, but that always stuck with me.

Was just throwing out there why soy can be a problem for some, but good to know it is a good neuropathic replacement for HRT, which I am getting closer and closer to that time myself.

I'm doing a bio-identical estriol and progesterone. So no, traditional HRT isn't an issue.
    My naturopath still recommends phytoestrogens for me. She checks my thyroid as she should with any patient.
    Look I've read it going both ways. I've read studies that blame soy. I've read studies that laud soy.
    I also believe that the hormones in meat can/do cause some crazy stuff. I believe it's just a matter of time until we trace the earlier and earlier age of puberty to two things: better health, and hormones in conventionally raised meats. When's the puberty talk now? 3rd grade? 4th?

I also don't know any traditional asians consuming a traditional diet (my in laws included, my husband included) with any unwanted boobs. My MiL says she doesn't remember her menopause. just that her period stopped.

Again: I'm not speaking for those with PCOS. Does the OP have PCOS? if so, I missed that. If that's the case: ignore my comments about soy and ask your doctor.

I will say, as a menopausal woman: vegetarian proteins work well for me. I have soy milk for breakfast. We have tofu a few times a week. I eat edamame as often as I want.

MEANWHILE: one can be low(er) carb without eating meat. One can enjoy vegetables A LOT and still eat low carb.

If my mention of black soybeans threw everyone for a loop? Fine: erase.

OP: yes you can do SLOW carb and low carb vegetarian. Good luck!
  • Alliwan
    Options

MEANWHILE: one can be low(er) carb without eating meat. One can enjoy vegetables A LOT and still eat low carb.

If my mention of black soybeans threw everyone for a loop? Fine: erase.

OP: yes you can do SLOW carb and low carb vegetarian. Good luck!

No no! dont throw it out! It is good info. More info is always good info and it is good to know that many can handle soy, I actually really liked to cook with tofu.

I was just asking what was working for you and letting you know what id heard/read/etc, not saying dont eat soy by any means. Just be aware for some, it can have hormonal affects but for others, it is a non-issue.

Never be afraid to let others know info you might have. What I love about this forum is the ability to learn from others and share that info without judgement.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Just don't want to derail the conversation. If someone wants to do low carb and do vegetarian: GREAT!
  • LesleyJDee
    LesleyJDee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input - fabulous links and info
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @LesleyJDee as you eat fish... for lunch today I am having a salad: 50g mix of wild rocket and watercress and spinach + olives and feta cheese + tin of mackerel in olive oil. Comes out just over 500cals. It is highly ketogenic as most of the cals are coming from fat and flippin' delicious too. Meals like this should be possible for you. I do NOT know how people do this without dairy though.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks. I enjoy being a ninja...lol

Its a lot easier for me to find farm-raised meat and wild salmon, than it is for me to find non-gmo'd soy.

Well, ninja your way over to Japan! Soy grown in Japan must be GMO, by law. (At least until the TPP forces of evil push through a change.) You might try an imported Asian foods shop -- you may be able to find imported frozen non-GMO soy products, like tempeh or age-dofu, albeit at a higher price.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sabine wrote: "I also don't know any traditional asians consuming a traditional diet (my in laws included, my husband included) with any unwanted boobs. "

I live among literally millions of them! Soy is in everything here in Japan, and people are mostly normal weight and look pretty healthy, so not sure what to think about that.
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I've been doing this as a vegetarian for about a month now. Lacto-ovo. It is challenging. I am actually seriously considering eating meat. But if you are curious about what I eat, feel free to friend me and take a peek at my diary. It is not exciting at all, I am basically a grazer. Lots of nuts, cheese, some tofu but not much, occasional meat substitutes though they're pretty gross, Atkins shakes which are also pretty gross but good for protien....also a lot of spinach. Iron is a concern. Anyway, feel free to take a peek.