Camping & Food

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
We're going camping later this week (big church camp), and I figured it would be easiest to bring my own food instead of trying to figure out what to eat in a cafeteria-type setting. It'll be a bit chilly out. I'm planning to take my kettle and figure my best options are:
1) Do a fat fast of sorts, surviving mainly on hot drinks with plenty of cream & butter with cheese & bacon for lunches
2) Take along an electric skillet or toaster oven so I can take something easy to prep & fix for dinners.

I should note that large amounts of eggs are out, as more than one tends to cause issues for me. Also, I can't have soy, pretty much any sweeteners, or almonds.

Recommendations? Suggestions? Alternative ideas?

Replies

• vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Spam is great stuff cold out of the can or fried, and comes in many flavors.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Any shelf stable meats, like pre-cooked bacon, salami, etc. Other nuts?
  • Twibbly
    Options
    I can eat other nuts, and I will be taking an ice chest.
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good even from a spoon, some type of bouillon is very sustaining too. Hope this helps and have fun!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    What about grilling? That is what we do. Or do you have a small crockpot? I make low carb chili, any type of roast, some chicken thighs, pork, whatever meats you like in there. Soups too. Or you can make things ahead like chicken salad, egg salad, etc and take them. Cold chicken legs, any type of food you can eat cold or would, jerky, etc.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    I know from experience that if it requires me to be outside in the cold, I won't cook. I do have a teeny tiny crockpot, but I don't want to attract anything by having it continuously cooking.

Probably the best option will be to just take enough cream, butter, bacon, and cheese to do for a few days, with some fat bombs and veggies thrown in for good measure.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love tins of smoked oysters, canned tuna, nick's spicy sticks (avail off amazon, but expensive), no time - but for the future or anyone else reading - luther's jerky - has a popcorn version that is sugar/carb free. Chewy but tasty wonderful stuff. I'd take a good head of celery - love celery sticks and they help keep you regular :)
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges - great with the celery or melt into your tuna and veggie - green beans would store unrefrigerated if fresh or take cans of.
    King Oscar Smoked Kippers are also nummy unless you just don't like the fishy stuff ;)
    Mini baby bel cheeses are also easy to pack and delish..they now have a gouda version.