Cravings

Options
what do you turn to for snacks when a carb craving comes along? I'm new to this and trying to avoid my usual snacky things like a muffin, cookie, toast and cereal (not all at once lol).

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Fat. Seriously, I lived off of fat bombs and BPC while breaking the carb cravings. It took awhile but I don't have them as much now. I do feel the urge at certain times of the month and I happily will go over in calories rather than dealing with the cravings. Now if it's just something sweet I want I'll go for some flavored tea. And don't forget to drink plenty of water.
  • jacklynb46
    jacklynb46 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i agree with sugarbeat...fat is your friend and has helped me tremendously with my cravings
  • Micah_Carter
    Micah_Carter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will add that if you just go ahead and ditch the artificial sweeteners for a few days to a week, you'll stop craving sweet things a lot sooner. Just do it. Once you've not had the carbs or sugar substitutes for a while you really do just stop craving them... it's just like any other addiction. Cold turkey is the only way.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate. Nuts. Or more dark chocolate. This time dipped in peanut butter. :)
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    cheese dipped in mayo. or spread with butter. serious.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Bacon dipped in mayo is better! But apparently I am bacon obsessed and my bacon speaks to me, so I may be biased LOL
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    what do you turn to for snacks when a carb craving comes along? I'm new to this and trying to avoid my usual snacky things like a muffin, cookie, toast and cereal (not all at once lol).

I hit them with protein bullets. Smoked oysters, tin of smoked kippers, a baby bell gouda cheese with celery sticks, some cooked chicken breast or thigh (wrap a slice of bacon around a small chicken thigh, your favorite sugar-free seasoning - I love "The Zip" mild, by The Spice Hunter. Make some deviled eggs - can stuff with tuna or shrimp salad, scallion diced in there, make it super spicy with a bit of diced jalapeno.
    The possibilities are endless!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Dill pickle spears... No idea why this works, but it does.... Zero carbs, zero calorie snack.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dill pickle spears... No idea why this works, but it does.... Zero carbs, zero calorie snack.

Um.... since when did cucumbers have neither carbs nor calories? Still a great low carb, low calorie snack, but not zero on either front. One spear may be only a small amount (52g has 8 calories and just under 2g carbs), but it adds up quick, especially if you have a low carb allotment.

That said, vinegar is probably why. It's known for a variety of uses, decreasing appetite is a common one (an old trick for cutting back on eating is to drink some vinegar about 10 minutes before a meal, no joke).
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected.... According to further investigation the calorie count is 0 to 5 depending on the brand. Carbs are stated as 0 to 1 again depending on the brand, the USDA shows them as 4 calories and .84 carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of fat and salt to nuke any cravings, not always together. If fat doesn't get rid of the craving, I'll do some buillion broth, pickles, or something else high salty to get rid of the craving. Massively jumping your fats should help kill those cravings quickly.
  • SeattleGal2015
    SeattleGal2015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You need more fat - if you follow the GAPS diet ideas, try pastured butter mixed with a little honey (I add nuts) - it's the fat soluble vitamins your body needs when you crave carbs :-)
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That precooked bacon you just microwave a few seconds is my favorite.

If I really just want something to grab I usually have cheese. 0 carbs and tasty. Try different ones you've never had before, its fun!

I also buy Flat Out Light Original wraps. They are 7 net carbs and I eat them toasted with cream cheese when I really want something bready. You could even just have half of one at a time.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Fast solution: a small bag of pork rinds.
    A real treat: homemade keto ice cream !
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't have the fake sugar, but for a sweet fix I like SF jello.

For a salty fix I like string cheese or dill pickles (as mentioned above).

Drinking electrolytes also helps to break cravings. Sometimes you are craving something because you need something in your body (a certain vitamin or mineral), and I find that electrolytes help to balance that. If I go a week without having daily Smart Water I notice a difference.