new to the group intro and question

Options
I lost my 15 year old daughter 1 year ago(January 26th) to a rare diseases we had never heard of. Pulmonary Hypertension. I gained so much weight and when we did our first awareness event I was over 200 lbs. We did the Manitou Incline in Colorado Springs Colorado in May of last year. I decided that it would be a yearly event. I also decided I needed to change my body!!! I have since dropped 50lbs and have steadily been dropping about 2 lbs a week. I just started strength training and joined a gym a week ago. I really enjoy it! I really would like to strengthen my entire body. I have started with lower weights like 10 lbs for bicep curls as an example. I feel like I could easily add weight to that, however don't want to cause any injury. I feel like I may be going to easy. Having just started is it ok to start off heavier or should I keep it a slow and steady progression?

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the loss of your daughter. There are a lot of beginner strength programs, Starting Strength, New Rules for Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5. These are progressive programs. You can google them. Good luck.
  • killakal81
    killakal81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Deepest sympathy to you and your family. You have been doing an awesome job on your weight loss though! Congratulations on your continuing success and way to get yourself into a lifting program! For beginners, it might take awhile to figure out the amount of weight you should be lifting for each exercise. You'll be able to get feedback in 2 ways: 1) while you're lifting and 2) your level of soreness the day after you lift. You should for sure try incrementally heavier weights while you're at the gym if the moves you're doing feel too easy. You should for sure use a lighter weight if you can't complete more than 6 reps or if you feel any kind of joint pain. Then evaluate your soreness the next day or 2 days after your workout. You want your body to be pleasantly sore - a level that means you worked your body hard, but that you still feel motivated to go to the gym again soon. If you're not sore at all the next day, that means you didn't lift heavy enough :-P If you're sore for 3 or 4 days, that means you pushed too hard and should probably back off on some of the weights. The New Rules for Lifting for Women is a great program for all fitness and experience levels. Good luck!
  • michele1924
    michele1924 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and as a mom of a 16 year old daughter I can't even imagine your pain. Congrats on your success so far and I am new to this group as I have my own frustrations and confusion about weight training. Good luck and keep going.....
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So terribly sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. I am inspired by your courage to improve your health and well-being, even after going through what you've been through. You are doing a fantastic job. Yes, I agree with the others' advice to follow a progressive, regimented lifting program such as Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, etc. There is actually a group here on MFP for ladies on the Stronglifts 5x5 program which has lots of information. I started the program about 8 months ago and have noticed a nice gain in strength and even my ability to run and bike more efficiently. Feel free to friend me if you have any questions! Take care.
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I lost my son to SIDS 20 years ago so although different circumstances, I understand your suffering. The first year is the hardest because everything is a new, sad anniversary. People say time makes it easier and that's not really true. You just find ways to cope with the loss. She will always be your baby girl. My heart truly goes out to you.

So proud of you for taking care of yourself now. I've been lifting for a few years. NROLFW is a great place to start. Learn good form first and you will avoid injury. If you want to chat about programs and such please give me a shout. I'm no expert (yet...I'm hoping to get my personal training certificate this summer) but I'm always looking to share ideas and give/get support. We all need motivation :smiley:
  • girlnamedsarah
    girlnamedsarah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First off - you are an inspiration. And I second everything @modmom1‌ said.
  • Alex_Moro
    Alex_Moro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group as well. Mrsblackburn36 and modmom1 your stories are just moving! It's families like you that fuel my passion to be a nurse. I am currently in nursing school and one day will work as a travel nurse in ICU/cardiology for PEDS. In recently getting back into MyFitneas pal, I hope to stay focussed. I am a college athlete who loves to eat healthy but doesn't have all the time in the world to meal prep:). This is my first time joining a group but I'm feeling really good about it! I want to stick with this as much as I can, and I think supporting others is a great way to stay involved.