after the wall..

valentine4
valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
Hi all,
I had my first race of the year over the weekend a half marathon in carlingford near where I live.

I didn't have a great race at all. I didn't feel particularly fresh heading out was fine for the first few miles although they were uphhill, I took them slow and steady. Mile 6 I felt good to push on but stayed steady as I was with a friend, mile 8,9 10 I actually thought of everyone here how much you would all probably enjoy the race - it was along the coast, literally where the mountains of mourne sweep down to the seavery scenic however after that it all went downhill.

When we turned away from the coast I felt I couldn't sustain the pace although it wasn''t anything fast at all, I told my friend to go on and I started to walk. I can't even blame the wind, it was very windy but along the coast it was on our back. I was really tired and sluggish, my heart was pounding really fast even walking and my head! it was the worse negative thoughts just ran away with me and thats not like me - I didn't hit the wall this badly during the marathon and I thought that was bad!

Anyway it turned out ok - a lovely lovely man encouraged me on got me back running and fair play to him ran the remaining three miles with me. He was an absolute gentleman I pleaded with him to go on and he said no he would like to think someone would do the same for him. He kept chatting and encouraging me only for him I would still be out there! we crossed the line in 1.57 which was a good time for me, not a pb, but its not always about the time I love to finish strong and smiling, I shuffled to the line and cried once we were over it. Luckily I did manage to hug my fellow runner and thank him I also promised him if I can ever help someone the way he helped me I will make sure and do so.

The next day physically I was fine, bit tired but nothing drastic. I have another half this weekend I'm nearly glad though I think if I left it too long I would never do one again. Just wondering if anyone has any insights on managing after hitting the wall?

As ever sorry for the long post, I can never keep it short! and thanks in advance for advice/ info,

regards,

Valentine

Replies

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I don't know that I have any advise but I wanted to say good luck with your next race and shake off this one (easier said than done). I did a training run Sunday and struggled the entire way through it. I think some days we just have crappy runs. I was once told the crappy runs make the good runs feel great.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Perhaps you could share more specifics? Splits, elevation, maybe HR if you tracked it?

As far as the wall goes, that's really only in marathons, and it's from glycogen depletion due to being underfueled and/or going too fast for your fueling needs. Unless you're out for 2.5hrs+ on a half, this shouldn't happen. It sounds like you went uphill ok, and perhaps came downhill a little aggressively, and when it flattened out, you were totaled. It's happened to me, and I've seen it happen to many others.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    sometimes I feel like that starting out and my whole race is just a mess. I've prevented it that a lot by drinking nothing but gatorade the day before. Usually before a big race I've been travelling to get there and don't get enough electrolytes or fluid, leaving a bit short on race day. Some days you just have a horrible run, and sometimes those days are on race day. No matter. Do another one. :D
  • valentine4
    Doug I'm more about selfies then splits lol. I'm only kidding ( well abit) I didn't wear a hrm I do sometimes training but sometimes feel strangled by it even when I loosen it. I threw my watch in the corner will look at the splits when I get home from work.
    Thanks for the replies my mantra for the week is going to be ' crappy runs make the good runs great :smile: ' Thanks will let you know how I get on Sunday!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    valentine4 wrote: »
    Doug I'm more about selfies then splits lol. I'm only kidding ( well abit) I didn't wear a hrm I do sometimes training but sometimes feel strangled by it even when I loosen it. I threw my watch in the corner will look at the splits when I get home from work.
    Thanks for the replies my mantra for the week is going to be ' crappy runs make the good runs great :smile: ' Thanks will let you know how I get on Sunday!

I would try to learn from this race. My effed up races have been invaluable experiences that I wouldn't want to redo :)
  • valentine4
    I definitely don't want to go back there again! I was thinking about it my pre race routine was slightly off - I normally go mountain running once a week but the week before the race I did two 6 mile runs on the mountain. Then the day before instead of doing a slow run I did some walking and cycling. Also I fired the coffee into me before the race...anyway no point over thinking it its done now. Below are my splits. If anyone wants to add me on garmin its just under my name Edele Clelland

1 9:02.5
    2 9:13.1 18:16
    3 9:04.4 27:2
    4 8:46.2 36:06
    5 8:39.4 44:46
    6 8:43.0 53:29
    7 8:40.9 1:02:09
    8 8:50.5 1:11:00
    9 8:40.4 1:19:40
    10 9:19.4 1:29:00
    11 9:11.3 1:38:11
    12 8:47.5 1:46:58
    13 8:53.6 1:55:52
    14 7:29
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Everyone has had a crap race, so don't dwell on it. I struggled a few times 2 years ago because I was having trouble getting my head together even though the body was ready (my dad had passed away). Just get back out there. Do you have another race on your schedule soon?
  • valentine4
    Hi Wendy, I have another half this sunday I'm kinda glad I think if I waited too long for another I would lose my nerve altogether.
    Definitely a head thing for me, it was all over the place running has kept me sane this past year I just didn't do myself any favours on saturday. Thanks for replying, I am sorry for your loss.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    I definitely don't want to go back there again! I was thinking about it my pre race routine was slightly off - I normally go mountain running once a week but the week before the race I did two 6 mile runs on the mountain. Then the day before instead of doing a slow run I did some walking and cycling. Also I fired the coffee into me before the race...anyway no point over thinking it its done now. Below are my splits. If anyone wants to add me on garmin its just under my name Edele Clelland

I see what happened - somewhere between miles 4 and 5. You got a little greedy and paid for it at mile 10. Same exact thing happened to me last year - I took the downhill of miles 1-3 a little too fast and paid for it at mile 10-11. Cost me a good 2min I'd say. Live and learn :)
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member

I see what happened - somewhere between miles 4 and 5. You got a little greedy and paid for it at mile 10. Same exact thing happened to me last year - I took the downhill of miles 1-3 a little too fast and paid for it at mile 10-11. Cost me a good 2min I'd say. Live and learn :)

I agree. Chipping down over 30 seconds per mile from 2 to 5 seems a bit much. If you are aiming for a 1:55:xx finish time (guessing) , you really only need to be averaging 8:46-8:51. On a flat course, your best bet is to make sure you are just running VERY EVEN effort and splits. Do not get excited and go even a HAIR faster before mile 10 because you could be throwing yourself into an unsastinable pace that will literally ruin the rest of your race.

Last spring, I ran a 1/2, everything was going great, even splits ~7:15. At mile 8, I felt I was speeding up, and I ran a 7:08 and 6:58, at that point I knew the race was over. 15 seconds per mile to be speeding up when you are already running at threshold is way too fast. I was right. My last 2 miles were in the 7:30s.

Happens to everyone. Lesson: a few seconds per mile can make a big difference in how you feel