Anyone else waiting for marriage equality?

Options
13»

Replies

• peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were legally married in August in Maryland we live in North Carolina. In October it became legal here!! It is an amazing thing!!

Yay!
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/justices-must-act-fast-gay-marriage-settled-june-083801891.html looks like the supreme court is going to take up gay marriage in april! i don't know whether to be happy or terrified.... heh . i'd like to think that given that more than half of the states now recognize gay marriage, they'd rule in favor of it.
  • savagejr44
    savagejr44 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's going to the Supreme Court!!!
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Yay! Interesting thing is that both sides say they want SCOTUS to make a decision once and for all. I have been very skeptical of our chances there, up until the latest turns of events.

More good news in Michigan: the 323 couples that got married on March 22, 2014 are now legal! My sister's marriage is now official. I hope my partner and I can follow suit soon.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas. Rick Perry is an A-hole. They can only discriminate
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas. Rick Perry is an A-hole. They can only discriminate legally for so long though cause the tide is turning quickly :)
  • Saxonvoter
    Saxonvoter Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah, definitely waiting to see the day. Here in Finland equal marriage is well on it's way, but there could still be setbacks before it happens. I don't have a partner at the moment and I'm not 100% sure I'll ever get married, but I'll feel better to know I won't have to worry about it if I do decide to tie the knot some day.
  • YandereMermaid
    YandereMermaid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Marriage is great and all, but once marriage equality is legal everywhere I'm predicting that queer rights are going to be treated like racism and feminism. Y'know, people who think we don't need feminism because pay discrimination is illegal and that racism ended with freeing the slaves. I'm extremely happy for everyone who is getting married and is able to get married but there are more pressing issues in queer rights and queer lives. I live in Ohio and plan to stick around, so I'm casually waiting for marriage equality. And marijuana legalization. But that's another story.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    I have a bit of that fear myself, that people will assume once we can get married that we will be equal under the law. Except, here in Michigan they are currently working toward passing a so called "religious freedom act", which would allow anyone to refuse services to someone they objected to on religious or moral grounds. Muslim? We don't have to serve you because we're Christian. Queer? We don't have to give medical care to you because we believe you are going to hell. Trans? We don't have to let you in our doors because the idea of you scares us and we are afraid god will send a lightning bolt down and kill us. Single mother with pristine qualifications? We don't have to hire you because unmarried women offend my god. Legally married lesbian couple? We don't have to provide medical services for your child because we object to your lifestyle on moral grounds.

Michigan house also just passed a bill allowing government paid private agencies to refuse to place children in homes where the agency or social worker has a religious or moral objection. Catholic social services contracts out most of that work here. So, you can be declined if you are lesbian, gay, Muslim, Jewish, trans, or otherwise flawed, even if it is in the best interest of the child to be placed there.

So, yes, I'm afraid marriage equality is becoming a litmus test in regards to equality, when there is so much more.
  • wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i'm in Australia and coming up to 10 years with my partner. We said years ago that we would get married as soon as it was legal or when we got to 10 years. When we said that we never ever imagined that it would still be illegal by the time we got to our 10th anniversary yet here we are, 2 weeks away and it is still not legal.

Yes, we have options such as going to New Zealand but that just doesn't sit well with either of us so we are not sure what we will do. We would really like our union to be legally recognised and it wouldn't be if we got married in New Zealand.

I guess we will just take some time to think about what we want our wedding to be like and where. and keep lobbying the politicians to try ang get full marriage equality here in Australia.
  • HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and my wife and I were married in April last year. We were married in New Mexico...Wonderful experience. My wife's company of 26 years recognizes our marriage equally. They also recognize domestic partners. Living in a small town, I would expect a tremendous amount of discrimination. Strangely, people are accepting one on one, but...a few years ago when I went to vote (it was located in a local church) on some gay issues, the billboard outside stated, " Gay is not okay. Don't be seduced into believing they have a place in society." Why did I have to vote in a church and why was it okay in any world to spew hate on a billboard at an election. I wish I had taken a picture...

Texas still has the marriage decision stuck in the supreme courts until June.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    wikpix wrote: »
    i'm in Australia and coming up to 10 years with my partner. We said years ago that we would get married as soon as it was legal or when we got to 10 years. When we said that we never ever imagined that it would still be illegal by the time we got to our 10th anniversary yet here we are, 2 weeks away and it is still not legal.

Yes, we have options such as going to New Zealand but that just doesn't sit well with either of us so we are not sure what we will do. We would really like our union to be legally recognised and it wouldn't be if we got married in New Zealand.

I guess we will just take some time to think about what we want our wedding to be like and where. and keep lobbying the politicians to try ang get full marriage equality here in Australia.

I feel the same way. We could have gone to Canada or Mexico or Iowa or any number of other places to get married, but I really want it to be legal where I live.

the Supreme Court hears oral arguments in the Michigan case and others on April 28th. I hope they will stand on the side of love and justice and the 14th amendment.
  • Joliekay1582
    Joliekay1582 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    peacehawk wrote: »
    My partner and I recently celebrated our 20 year anniversary. We are still waiting to get married though. I want it to be legal, not pretend and not partly maybe possibly recognized in some places and not others (including our home state of Michigan). There are several lawsuits pending in our state alone. We have gone to the federal court in Detroit several times to witness history in the making. It has been really exciting at times, infuriating at others, and a bit boring at others.

My church has been holding marriage equality rallies every month at our county courthouse. The county clerk even stops by to support us. He isn't allowed to give us licenses yet, but seems as excited as my partner and I at the prospect.

What is the state of matrimony in your part of the world?

Oh, yeah, and I should mention that this traveling to D kills the caloric and monetary budget between gas and eating out, but it is worth it. (mentioned that because, after all, this is a weight loss website.)

I'm with u in Michigan, its been a long year watching the ups and downs. Soon though!, its gotta be soon :)
  • keek27
    keek27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My partner and I are together almost three years and we are waiting for marriage equality to come through. There is a vote here in ireland on the 22nd May to decide.
  • peacehawk
    Options

Tomorrow is the big day in the supreme court. In Flint, Michigan, There is a rally and gathering to listen to the recordings of the arguments. Here are details:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1434042996890320/
  • Joliekay1582
    Joliekay1582 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    peacehawk wrote: »

Tomorrow is the big day in the supreme court. In Flint, Michigan, There is a rally and gathering to listen to the recordings of the arguments. Here are details:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1434042996890320/

Thank you so much!
  • peacehawk
    Options
    :)