Am I still a vegan if....?

Options
So I've been transitioning into veganism for ethical reasons and currently have eliminated animal products from my house/grocery list. However, I work at a restaurant and every day they throw out all the leftovers that we don't eat. I feel bad letting all that food go to waste and have been eating meat, eggs, and cheese at the restaurant a few times a week. I feel gross eating it but I don't think I'm hurting any animals as the food would have been thrown out otherwise.
Is dishonest to call myself a vegan?
Is it ethical to eat animal products that would be wasted otherwise?
Is it unethical to not eat them and let them be thrown out?
I feel guilty eating it and I feel guilty not eating it, so I'm looking for opinions. I promise I won't be offended no matter what you say.

Replies

• Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Those are philosophical questions going up against a specific label : "vegan" is a very, very strict label, for people who see things in black & white. If you...... eat animal products, you're contributing to the Machine. Just go easy on yourself. Maybe it's not for you, yet. Keep moving forward. It may help to remember, that the meat you're chewing is the dead flesh of a creature who was killed (no matter how "humanely") so it could be chopped up with big knives and slapped on a plate. Those poor chickens for those eggs...the dairy cows...It's just a horrible business all round. I truly wish you the best of luck in your journey.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well... I fall under the "total vegetarian" label not the "vegan" label, so take this for what it's worth...

Eating meat, eggs, and cheese... Nope, don't think you can call yourself a vegan or even a vegetarian at this point.

But here's the good news... It's just a label, who cares....

Veganism is so much more than simply not eating animal products, or not buying products tested on animals, or not using products made from animals. It's a way of looking at the world and taking an active role in trying to change the status quo on animal rights.

We live in a jacked up world. Don't focus on a label. Do the best you can as often as you can... If the vegan label is that important to you go for it, but if you fall a little short don't sweat it.

On a side note... If eating the leftovers makes you feel gross why not take a few Rubbermaid containers and take them to friends/family. Or better yet, ask your boss about donating the leftovers to a group that helps the homeless/people in need.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is there a possibility that once the restaurant sees how much food is wasted when so much of it is thrown out rather than taken home by the employees, that they will use/prepare less of it, thereby using less animal products?

If so then I would do my best to approach them with that. It saves them money too and it's a good resume point (cut costs 10% at restaurant on own initiative). So it's sort of win win. Really none of it can be reused the next day as part of a Chef's special or something?

I also like the rubbermaids for friends/family/homeless idea if the above doesn't work. Get a costco sized aluminum foil roll and hand it out.
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Feed it to your dogs. Not only is the idea of a dead animal inside of you gross it can actually lead to weight gain and disease.

FYI - I had a similar question a while back because I have a chicken coop. The hens are pets but I don't want their eggs to go to waste.