Training plans

Options
lemurcat12
lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
Just wondering what everyone else was doing for training plans--creating your own, a trainer or training group, BT.com, some other plan?

I was going to use one of the BT.com half ironman plans (or an Olympic + the bridge) but never can manage to follow them and with the current one am frustrated that I couldn't get the long days to fall right and it seemed needlessly complicated, so I decided to use a much more basic one from Matt Fitzgerald and just adapt it for my own schedule and priorities.

Replies

• turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For my first tri, I did it on my own, with a training plan that I found on the web. It worked great.

Since then, I have joined a group and train with a coach. Longer bike rides are a lot more fun when in a group. We also help support each other with information we find via a group on FB. The plan that my coach has given me for my race matches others that are doing the same race so there are opportunities to do some training sessions with someone. Training can sometimes get lonely.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    That sounds fun.

I did a tri training group out of my health club a few years ago (before I gained all the weight I just lost), and that was a great way to stay motivated. What I think I'm doing now is some informal training/informational stuff with a local group (I haven't made any of their meetings yet, so I'm hoping I like them), plus joining a masters swim group (which seems to be largely triathletes) and joining in on some local group rides that take place through a number of biking groups here. I know from past experience that I need the group stuff more to push myself on the bike than anything else, and plus making training more social will help me stay motivated.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I have a coach. She's in CT and I'm in TX but it works for me. I train at 4:30/5 AM during the week so training with other people is a bit over rated for me. I do my long rides on the weekends "with" folks from my tri club or athletes I coach or I go by myself. My workouts are tailored to what I need so I generally start from the same place and follow the same routes as who I'm riding with but I do my own thing.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Last year I used a sprint training plan I found on the Iron Girl website and, like you, adapted it for my own schedule. I intend to do the same this summer, as it worked fine for me last year. Simpler is better for me.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've been using this the last couple of years. http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp

I think it's a bit light on the swimming so I generally do quite a bit more and I started adding a short run after the long rides.

I don't know that one plan is better or worse than another. I think the important thing is consistency. The plan should have relative balance by which I mean the ratio of time spent training for each discipline should match that of the race
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    good morning. for this winter i kinda smashed my cycling program and my half marathon training program together and was just like

4188_original.png

i'd throw in a smattering of swimming here and there, and hoped for the best. it's what i've been doing for the last few years, and it's worked.

i have a job with some odd hours. i work 12 hour days, day shift, nights, weekdays, weekends. it doesn't always lend itself to following a basic plan. and the plans out there seem to think that i live across the street from the pool and from work.

i'm going to be freeing up a lot of time when i finish grad school in a couple of weeks. then i'm going to talk to a coach about maybe building a more custom training plan around my schedule.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone does.
  • marlt
    marlt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am using the Trinewbies Half Ironman just like DangerJim. That being said I study other plans as well and modify things to suit my schedule and strengths/weaknesses. For example, I'm a weak swimmer so I try to spend more time swimming. I try as much as I can to stick to the plan but do make changes when I need to.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Curious what you do with your swimming marlt.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My first olympic I had followed the free BT plan. Since I had already done an olympic, and was doing another the following year, I didn't really train for my sprint because I just assumed if I was training for an olympic, that was sufficient. After that, I pretty much made up my own plans for my following olympics and sprints. I then followed the BT free plan for my first 70.3. Following a paid plan for my 2nd 70.3. My next I will go back to making up my own once I fell comfortable. I am considering a coach for when I start IM training.
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went a little overboard on this, but was happy with the results. I have premium memberships on BT and Training Peaks. TP is where I really keep track of my training progress. I took the basic HIM plan on BT and switched things around a bit to work with my schedule. Was easy to drag and drop things around, but not sure if that is a premium feature or not. Once I had the plan in place, I imported it into TP and keep track of everything there although my Garmin data is syncing to both sites. I will say that I really liked the list of training plans that BT has to offer.
  • marlt
    marlt Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry DangerJim been out of the country and missed your post. For my swimming I do three times a week right now. I may add one swim in May but right now its just 3 times. All three swims right now are in the pool because I live in Canada. One swim is endurance, then one swim is intervals and one swim is technique based. Once June comes around I plan to do one open water swim a week.