Starvation mode (spoiler alert - it's a myth!!)

Options
Nony_Mouse
Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
Srsly, not a thing (which is not license to keep eating at a crazy deficit, that definitely is damaging). For those who need to increase their calorie intake this is important reading.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Replies

• minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That was a fabulous article. I hope they have more articles like that. I subscribed to receive their e-mails.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    It's good, eh? My main reason for posting it was to get across that increasing your calories from something too restrictive to something sensible won't cause you to suddenly gain weight, even if you have been at that big deficit a while. You're actually the perfect example of that Minipony :).
  • alskarani
    alskarani Posts: 83
    Options
    I find myself thinking this: I'm really different than most people, and for MY body, 1000 calories is too much. Is that possible? That my body is just really weird and can't handle a lot of calories?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    alskarani wrote: »
    I find myself thinking this: I'm really different than most people, and for MY body, 1000 calories is too much. Is that possible? That my body is just really weird and can't handle a lot of calories?

Nope, it's very highly unlikely. Yes, metabolism will vary between people, even if they are the same age, height, weight and activity level, but not by a huge amount. There are some medical issues that cause people's metabolisms to be slower or interfere with weight loss, such as hypothyroid, metabolic syndrome, Hashimoto's, PCOS etc, but I really don't think they apply to you, simply from the fact that you are not that overweight (only just above BMI right?) and that you have been and still are losing weight.

Sorry honey, you are special, but not in that way :). 1000 calories is not too much. If you were gaining on that, I would say go see a doctor and get tested for all those things, because they affect more than just weight loss and require medical intervention.
  • hilbertgirl
    hilbertgirl Posts: 43
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • hilbertgirl
    Options
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    alskarani wrote: »

I used to think that too. However, I notice when I eat more I also have more energy and am burning more calories too. Like today I lifted weights in the AM, jumped my horse in the afternoon and did cardio in the evening with another friend. I also bought feed for my horse, walked a long way to get him from the pasture through the mud, went grocery shopping, fixed my bathroom sink and made a crock pot full of homemade vegetarian chiili which I am eating right now.

In contrast, I remember when I was eating like 800 calories. It was a sunny day and I was with my boyfriend. He wanted me to help him put up his trail cams so he could see the animals. Anyhow, I remember each step through the field felt like I had a 25 pound weight attached to each foot. I remember it clearly because I couldn't figure out why I was so tired all the time and why it was so hard to just walk. In looking back I was going slow because that's all my body could do. Now I move with strength and intention. I know 1400 cals is still not a lot, but I'm feeling way better than where I came from. Take it slow so you will trust the process. Just add a bit at a time and work with a trusting nutritionist that understands your disorder so they will be compassionate and not harsh and demanding. Hugs