So i watched Dr. Lustig video about sugar last night...

Options
GSD_Mama
GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
I thought his presentation was "to convince" his audience about sugar was good, maybe a bit militant, however, the comparison of Atkins and Japanese diet left me confused.... I know that Japanese eat sugar and.... Fructose is a Poison? To what degree? All this is too damn confusing!

I've decided to google some stuff and came to Alan Aragon's blog where there is a huge debate about Dr. Lustg video. I spent all nite reading it, sheesh, i have no life.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I found him very dry when you compare to the cheeriness of someone like Prof Noakes, but it takes all types to appeal to all types. I seem to have heard the same message about fructose from a number of sources today though - odd.
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    Well, that left me with question: Can i eat fruits and HOW much can i eat? I like fruit, i've ditched them for now to get to my weight goal, but it's not that he's dry, it's more about the facts and research about Fructose. Is it killing us? How much of it is dangerous? I dont remember him mentioning any amount of "safe" vs. "dangerous". I want my fruit when i get back to it!
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't think Dr. Lustig is anti-fruit. Fructose in it's natural portion size, with all the fiber, etc. that goes along with it is OK. You wouldn't be able to eat enough apples at one sitting to overdose on fructose, for example.

I believe his point was concentrated fructose, whether hfcs, maple syrup, date sugar, etc. has all the same effects on our bodies as sucrose.

Eliminate concentrated, added sugars, no matter what the source, seems to be his position.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Lustig says, but the problem with fructose is that it gets metabolized differently than other monosaccharides. For example, glucose goes into your general circulation. Fructose goes right to your liver and gets converted to fat very quickly. It is why some people think fructose (like in agave syrup) is good because it appears not to raise your blood sugar, but the reason behind it is very bad indeed.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I really like Dr. Robert Lustig's work. They are very technical though, especially his first one which you linked. He really explains how sugar is processed by our body's molecules which is rather complicated.

The short version is actually really simple. Basically, when you eat sugar in ANY form, it goes into your blood, thus raising your blood sugar. The liver has to use insulin to turn that sugar into fat. Insulin also tells your fat cells to store that fat. The fat cells then release leptin, a hormone that goes to your brain and makes you feel full. When we eat sugar all day every day, cause sugar is now in everything, we make lots of insulin, so much it blocks leptin from telling us we are full.

This was once a good survival mechanism. Orangutans gorge on fruit when its ripe in late summer. Since they eat so much sugar, their insulin stays high, which prevents leptin from telling them their full, so they can eat even more. But when summer ends and the fruit is now gone, their insulin returns to normal and they are now nice and fat so they can survive the winter when food is scarce.

Except humans never have a food shortage. We dont stop eating the sugar so we always have high insulin which makes us always hungry.

This video is the short and sweet version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moQZd1-BC0Y
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    I understand the part on how glucose and fructose are metabolized differently, so i guess i still can enjoy my fruit in moderation.... :)

As for HFCS, it's a whole different story. I remember seeing this commercial:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ-ByUx552s

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    I got the impression that he said once the fructose went into your liver it couldn't easily get out again. My husband was eating 5 or 6 apples a day for the past 8 or more years. He only stopped that about a month ago.

Haven't watched the short version video because it's bed time.
  • LunaKate
    Options
    Oh, well Dr. Lustig doesnt even advocate for low carb, just that sugar and processed food is evil.

Thats not fructose, thats glucose, bread sugar. Glucose stays in the liver. Fruits are ok because the fiber makes you digest it slow so the sugar is released into the blood slowly.
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    I don't eat that many apples, i love my McIntosh ones, probably loaded with sugar. I however, don't miss them or any other fruit for that matter.

The video I watched was about 1.5 hr long, not the short version. He presented a lot of biochemistry that is very easily and maybe confusing to someone who is not well versed in biology/chemistry side. He did try to convince his audience that Fructose is bad, I do believe it is, but he didn't really say how much is too much. I'm not too easily persuaded so i went to read on more, however, there is way too much conflicting information.
    I don't believe we should eliminate fruit (but Lustig's presentation was like "OMG, you need to drop Fructose or you will be Poisoned), more like a tantrum or scare tactic vs. a good overall presentation with explanations beyond chemistry.
  • LunaKate
    Options
    Oh! ok, well he works for the American Heart Association and recommends 6tsp for women a day and 9 for men a day but thats not fruit, just added sugars.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I remember being shocked, though I shouldn't have been, as I had just never thought about it, but I had a doctor (my primary, if I'm not mistaken) tell me that the recommended daily allowance for sugar is zero. You don't need any sugar, even from fruit, to survive. We've just gotten used to having this. I remember thinking yeah, that makes sense, but also, wow, we're so broken in our thinking. That was one major turning point for me.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    The video I watched was about 1.5 hr long, not the short version.
    That's the one I watched too.
    itcphotog wrote: »
    (but Lustig's presentation was like "OMG, you need to drop Fructose or you will be Poisoned), more like a tantrum or scare tactic vs. a good overall presentation with explanations beyond chemistry.
    That was exactly how I felt about it too. The first half of the video seemed informed and interesting (even if I didn't agree with his version of things on everything), and then the second half seemed to lack any energy or enthusiasm. The magic 'I want what he's got!' that LCHF should hold. IMHO anyway ;)
  • LunaKate
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I dont think Dr. Lustig is for LCHF, he only ever argues no fructose. He believes whole grains are ok because glucose doesnt get stored in fat cells, its stored in the liver and the fiber in whole grains keeps blood sugar, and therefore insulin, from getting too high.

His mission seems to be only removing fructose from processed foods and educate people to limit sugar intake.

Have you seen "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes? He's LCHF and awesome too.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    GrannyMay, etal..the FRUIT sugar in berries is better than say apples due to HIGH fiber, and Lustig points out that NATURE gives us FIBER in fruit to balance the sugars.

NO he wasn't dissing FRUIT fructose he was explaining that Processed sugar splits into Glucose & Fructose- THAT's where this bad fructose goes straight to liver. Fruit fructose, eaten as whole food don't have the load, and is self limiting-most can't eat whole 9 oranges anyway.

he is against juicing any fruit/foods as they take out all fiber.

Dietitians limit adult sugar to 30g for 2000 Kcal diet… that's processed, but they want you to limit bananas and VHSugar load fruit too. it wi vary with your needs.

I love this guy..Dr. Lustig is trying to scare yes! he is speaking at a higher level for years, and doing heart surgery on obese babies is scary, so He's BEEN saying this since mid 2000s, and is proving more 'processed' foods loaded with sugars and salts to encourage consumption are killing the younger generation, with babies now BORN with metabolic issues.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Dr. Robert H. Lustig, is a long time University of California San Francisco professor of pediatrics in the endocrinology division. he does not "work" for AHA, most docs are affiliated with various peer groups, and he NEVER claims to be LCHF, he speaks on fighting the massive Sugar industry…and after seeing the new CANDY yogurt (low fat- a joke!) aimed direct at kids for Easter..36g Sugar per 6oz!!! I am ready to join him.

I looked down every aisle..and it's true sugar is the for the FoodCorp convenience..not ours.
    even loaf bread -to keep it 'fresh' for a week, sugar does that.
    - Of the 90 varieties of yogurt in the store ALL say low fat, every single one.
    the VISIBLE M&Ms and mini chocolate bars on top the yogurt tub are promoting a "FUN healthy food"….I don't think Yoplait and Dannon can go any lower. Adults buy the grown up version- still all sugar cereal or chocolate on top---but kids? GUARANTEEING fat kids, obese teens and dead superobese 40 year olds for this <10 age generation.

http://www.yocrunch.com/products/yocrunch-flavors/vanilla-with-mams-chocolate-candies

http://www.yoplait.com/Home/Products/HersheysMixIns
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    AHASRADA wrote: »
    I don't think Dr. Lustig is anti-fruit.

he is in private or when caught out. "fructose, in whatever form, the vehicle is irrelevant"

his science is weak - where's the ground breaking study that demonstrates fructose has specific harmful effects in humans on a mixed diet.
  • LunaKate
    Options
    Dr. Robert H. Lustig, is a long time University of California San Francisco professor of pediatrics in the endocrinology division. he does not "work" for AHA

Sorry I knew he was a professor, Ive watched all his videos, I meant he worked with the AHA to help make the new sugar guidelines. :smiley:

There is a lot of evidence that when a country's sugar consumption increased, so did their diabetes rates and obesity. Its hard to do a study. Its unethical to harm people's health in a study.

Even WHO is agreeing with his work.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/why-the-who-advises-you-to-reduce-sugar-consumption/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's hard to do a study. Take a group of high sugar consumers and change the diet of half of them. Swap fructose for glucose, or glucose for maltodextrin. No risk. Do it in primates if you're that nervous.

When I see Lustig chasing one particular molecule I am reminded of Ancel Keys.
  • LunaKate
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxG3YiBMMZE&amp;index=31&amp;list=PLHQkEO6YtgDn8sPw3U0c5OaSAdPN0GJWA

at about 3:30 there is a part about a study that links increased sugar to heart disease
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I don't think it's hard to do a study. Take a group of high sugar consumers and change the diet of half of them. Swap fructose for glucose, or glucose for maltodextrin. No risk. Do it in primates if you're that nervous.

When I see Lustig chasing one particular molecule I am reminded of Ancel Keys.

How about a meta-analysis?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140226075021.htm