New to this group

Options
Hi i am Kim and i'm new to this group, just joined today, i love swimming but i'm pretty slow lol i have so far managed to swim for 20 mins non stop but it not a lot of lengths but i am getting there.
If anyone has any tips it would be great to hear them and if there is any challenges going let me know as i would like to join them

Thank you in advance

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Kim, glad to see you hitting the water. You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be swimming more lengths if you swim on a regular basis. Great group of people here, just ask any questions you might have & I'm sure somebody here can answer for you....
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim. I'm a relative newbie to swimming too. Just started in January. Your endurance and stamina will come with regular workouts. At first I could barely swim for 30 minutes and couldn't swim freestyle one length of the lap pool. Now I can and I'm swimming 4 days a week for at least an hour - more often 75+ minutes at a time doing an interval workout and drills that I do on my own. I'm still a slower swimmer by more experienced standards, but that's okay with me because I know I'm getting a great workout. I've found the inches to be falling off when I don't always see the pounds dropping as fast as I'd like.

You'll find a lot of info in this group - I have. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the water rats Kim.
    As mac and turtle said you will quickly gain endurance and length. Don't worry about the speed it will come. Go to the "did-you-swim-today" discussion there have been lots of little tips posted by various members. I am just completing my second set of lessons this year and plan on spending 1 day a week doing the drills and exercises that I have done in the classes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Chlorine anonymous :)
    To paraphrase Robert Duvall, I love the smell of chlorine in the morning. It smells like.. Victory.

Wherever you are at, just think 'one more lap.' Try to do one more lap per swim this week than you did last week until you reach your next goal.
    My problem is I keep moving the goal post further :)
    My primary motivation to swim faster is so I can swim farther every morning in the time I have.
    Swimming is awesome, low impact. And you can easily vary intensity from lap to lap or set to set.
    Have fun.
  • KimJohn14
    KimJohn14 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for all the posts they are very motivating and helpful. At the moment i swim 2 mornings a week but i am planning on uping that to 3 mornings and increase slowly. I will have a look at the others post on here and see what i can find. Thak you again :D:D