Stomach/gas issues since going LC?

Options
monikker
monikker Posts: 322 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I'm wondering if anyone knows what's up with some ...gas I've been having. I switched to 100 g carbs total for the day maybe a week and a half ago, but since then I've had 2 nights of really bad, stinky gas. Like, hours, the whole evening. Tonight would be a 3rd night except it's not even close to being as bad. Admittedly both myself and my family members have somewhat regular gas issues, but this seems to be a whole new level

Replies

• monikker
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Um..my whole post refuses to post. Awkward
  • monikker
    Options
    I've looked up possible reasons for it and this is what I found:

-high sodium foods (but I've rarely ever had this much trouble with gas and am just now noticing the high sodium content of some foods in the house. Have switched a lot of them out since last week)
    -sucralose/artificial sweeteners (again, I've been consuming multiple servings of this stuff during a day for a little bit now)
    -water consumption (rarely had this problem back when I didn't drink much water)
    -raw vegetables (haven't been eating a lot of those lately)

So...any idea if some people get sensitive to carbs/low carbs when they go below 100 g? Or is it possibly one of those other reasons just randomly giving me a hard time? I had been at 180 g for almost a month before going lower.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had some trouble at the start with artificial sweeteners, and also from adding too much coconut oil too soon. Dial back on those for a few days and drink lots of water, then try a bit at a time to see how it goes. LCHF at the start can cause keto flu (loss of electrolytes leaves you feeling horrible) and adding in salt helps fix that. So don't worry about the salt.

Baconslave just finished up this post on fats on LCHF and it has lots of good info... scroll down to the "bathroom issues" part.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10107242/the-skinny-on-fat-silencing-your-fear-of-dietary-fats#latest
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Closed diary - what did you change in your eating ? Increased fermentable stuff like fiber, resistant starch, inulin, sugar alcohols ?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Have you started eating more or different veggies? Sometimes that can do it. Broccoli and cauliflower come to mind.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite effect on LC and I'm thrilled! I have dropped my veggies except cooking broccoli and even they don't bother me now. If you open your diaries we can see what you are eating now and maybe able to pinpoint the culprit.
  • monikker
    Options
    I opened diary. On days with 500+ cals left for the day I likely ate more but didn't log cause I knew I wouldn't be very close to going over cals. Also, foods are not always grouped in the meal section I actually ate them in so a lot of meal groupings probably look super random. I don't log things I find insignificant like diet cokes, most of my supplements, pre-workout powder (which def has sucralose) - I have a few times a week.

Maybe it's the sugar alcohols but if so I'd think I'd have this problem every day.

Eggs make it worse but I think I've only really eaten them after the gas had come (bad idea)

I haven't had keto flu, must not be low carb enough for that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have more "stink" factor when eating any form of chocolate/cocoa powder. Varying degrees, brands, anything does not seem to matter. Also, I would just in general ask if you still have a fully functional gallbladder. I notice my problems are more of the "smell like a sewer" variety than "clear the room" type when I've eating something that disagrees with me.

We are a fairly flatulent household as well, but I can tell you that the more my body adapts, the less I have this problem. Certain foods trigger more gas issues, but I'm going to monitor my sweeteners more just to see what impact they have for me.
  • freedomjoy
    freedomjoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I keep having this same problem off and on for the last week. Can someone look at my diary? I just started Low Carb last week. I've been doing Atkins (20-25 net carbs). I lost almost 5 lbs by last friday, then stalled starting Saturday and went up a pound and a half. I did a little fast yesterday and got my weight down by a lb. But today my tummy is bloated and I feel gassy like I did 2 days ago and one day ago last week.
  • GSD_Mama
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @freedomjoy‌ your dairy is not open.

I would check everything you eat against FODMAPs and see if you are sensitive to foods that you eat. It can range from Milk, Eggs, Cheese, Veggies, etc....

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/
  • vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The big stomach upsetting thing for me is sucralose and other artificial sweeteners. I have been weening myself off them but still have an antacid once and a while.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Artificial sugars do it for me. I have a little, like in a cup of coffee, or a fat bomb, but if I have too much... it's very uncomfortable.
  • freedomjoy
    freedomjoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been consuming sucralose more than I used to. I wonder if that is a factor. I used to only have it in coffee, but according to the Atkins website, coffee spikes the bloodsugar. So, until yesterday and today I went off coffee. What do I do for sweet? I'm used to eating apples when I desired something sweet. Now I don't know what to do to fix my desire for something sweet.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have an incurable sweet tooth. Dannon has a low carb yogurt thats yummy, I have one everyday. And then if I stick to my keto all day, which isnt hard anymore at all, I have one of the Atkins desserts. They taste great and Im lucky that the sweetners dont bother me. I've switched to a liquid sucralose for tea because Splenda packets have almost a carb each.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    freedomjoy wrote: »
    I have been consuming sucralose more than I used to. I wonder if that is a factor. I used to only have it in coffee, but according to the Atkins website, coffee spikes the bloodsugar. So, until yesterday and today I went off coffee. What do I do for sweet? I'm used to eating apples when I desired something sweet. Now I don't know what to do to fix my desire for something sweet.

@freedomjoy You might try Pure Via's Stevia (powder). 40 packets is $2. It is the only stevia I've found that doesn't give me headaches.

Also, MonkFruitInTheRaw is supposed to be more natural as well. My local walmart has both these in decent sized packages for sample.

Also, depending on how low carb you are doing, you can just use a lower GI sweetener that isn't artificial and use very little of it. Remember, too, that HWC has a natural sweetness to it.

Not sure about coffee spiking blood sugars. We have many diabetics in this group, and I've never heard any of them reference that.
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    If I have a sweet tooth I just pop in one fat bomb and don't use any sweeteners :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If you're having different sugar alcohols on different days, that may contribute. Some people have a horrible reaction to sucralose, but not to erythritol. Others have it with any of them. Some people also have a really bad reaction to "added fiber," depending on exactly what has been added. If you're using anything that's labeled "high fiber" or "added fiber" check the label to see where it's coming from.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    LC has had the opposite effect on my digestive system. If I eat sugar, breads, potatoes or pastas, or junk food in general, I get gas. Without them, I don't. I also take a high quality probiotic 2x a day, as I heard somewhere that it helps. Anyway, it hasn't hurt! o:)
  • monikker
    Options
    I've been eating Greek yogurt just about every day and not many raw vegetables. I feel like the yogurt cultures should help...
  • monikker
    Options
    I eat quest bars frequently but it's not like I eat them and turn into a gas bomb. I know the bars have sugar alcohols in them, not just sucralose