Day after surgery

Options
CEK0220
CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
I am feeling pretty good. Sore like I did a sit-up marathon, but good. As of right now I have walked 5 times. My swallow test didn't show any problems so now I get ice chips! After being without something to drink for so long they tasted devine. But right now I am gonna nap. Just wanted to let you all know how well things are going here! Thank you all for your wonderful support.

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Good job on the walking!!! Take it easy and enjoy the ice chips!
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good news!
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear things went well. Things will start to feel better every day for the next couple of weeks.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yay! So glad your doing well. Great job walking, it really will help.!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP!
    I understand how you feel...I was also not allowed anything till that test could be done the day after surgery.
    Sometime in the very early hrs of that morning I was asking to brush my teeth just to wet my tongue...lol!
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm two days since surgery. Can anyone tell me if you had trouble laying on your side?
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    CEK0220 & bonzaburns: Good luck and congratulations - life is going to change but it gets SO much better! Here's to a healthy new you!
    bonzaburns wrote: »
    I'm two days since surgery. Can anyone tell me if you had trouble laying on your side?

Bonxaburns: I actually remember being told NOT to lay on my side for quite some time - don't remember how long. I remember having to teach myself to sleep on my back. It wasn't until just recently that I have gone back to sleeping on my side. Now you say "trouble" but if you mean lots of pain - tell your dr/nurses - don't hesitate to ask them. 2 days since surgery - you are still in the hospital right? If not, you really need to call if anything is unusually painful (not sore).
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bonza - congratulations! Didn't realize you had your surgery! I slept in a recliner for the first two or three days when I got home after surgery. After that, I was able to lay on my side, although it was a little uncomfortable at first.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Yes, my removal incision was on my left side and that was the harder side to lay on. Early on, though, changing from any position to another was difficult. Anything using the abs was painful. It got better in a week or so, if I remember correctly.

Rob
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great news we look forward to your speedy recovery
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Welcome to the losers bench! Hope your recovery is quick and uneventful!
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Hope your doing well!
    I wasn't really told not to lay on my side but found it uncomfortable for the first couple of weeks so I laid on my back. My right side was the worst as that was my removal side. It was tender up until just a few days ago and Im 3 1/2 weeks out. Im finally back to right side sleeping! Yay!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I hugged a pillow and rolled on over. It kills my back to sleep on my back so, side it was pre op I slept on the right side but now I find the left most comfortable.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

It took almost a month before I could lay on my right side. I slept in a recliner for a few weeks. My dr said that was perfectly normal. It does go away.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was told it was ok to sleep on my side, I think I was more anxious than anything. As others have said, I hugged a pillow for several weeks until I felt comfortable without.
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I managed to hug a pillow last night and finally got some sleep. Should be out of hospital today, yah and feeling really great. Bit of reflux but it's all uphill from now. Thanks for your kind words. Chris
  • Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome for both of you such inspiration for us preopers! Note taken on side sleeping now
  • Jessicadmx
    Jessicadmx Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Yes. When you turn on your side your insides shift around tugging on all those sensitive sirgica sites. I personally could not sleep on my side till about 10 ish days out but I had a host of complications that made side sleeping more painful.