Unexpected side effect of swimming

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I started swimming laps back in November after I was diagnosed with arthritis in my foot that prevents me from doing as much walking as I want to. I had been taking a water aerobics class since March so it was easy for me to just go a little earlier and swim the laps before class. Anyway, the lap pool is a saline pool (the warm pool where I still do the aerobics is a typical chlorine one) and I have discovered something interesting. I live in the frozen north (Wisconsin) and every winter I need to use a neti pot to irrigate my nasal passages in order to keep them from getting too dry and stuffed up. This winter I haven't used it once. I get enough of the salt water up my nose while swimming 3 times a week that it moisturizes just fine.

Yay! Not only am I losing weight and getting stronger, I am avoiding the neti pot. Now if I could just figure out some way to keep my nails from peeling and chipping from the water, I will be all set.

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.
    I have allergies and always had issues with stuffed up sinuses and I love that regular swimming means my sinuses are clear all the time!
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Now if I could just figure out some way to keep my nails from peeling and chipping from the water, I will be all set.
    Happy for your successes, but boy, if you find an answer to the finger nail issue, I'd love to hear. I always had beautiful, natural nails but since swimming, not so much and I can't seem to grow them. :(

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Fingernails... They weren't much to begin with. Now, they're just pathetic. I keep them ridiculously short.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Yeah, I am resigned to having crummy nails now. On the positive side, I have very little hair on my legs any more. I haven't shaved in about 3 months and just have a little stubble.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You don't need to shave your legs because of swimming??? Never heard that one before.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I can see that, when I'm swimming regularly I have noticeably less hair on my arms, legs & chest. Before I was wearing a bathing cap the hair on my head thinned way out too, but now it's thickened back out....
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    I can see that, when I'm swimming regularly I have noticeably less hair on my arms, legs & chest. Before I was wearing a bathing cap the hair on my head thinned way out too, but now it's thickened back out....

Same here!
    Oh Mac and wearing a bathing cap is the same thing as wearing budgy smugglers!
    Lol
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Oh no, not even close...lol (although I've been called things that indicate a merging of the 2 areas in question).....
  • ashpile83
    ashpile83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too notice a change in my sinuses and allergies while swimming. But does anyone else ger disturbed by the amount of snot and boogies that means might be in the pool? Gross, right? I am a preschool teacher,so I can't help but think about it.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    LOL, ashpile.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    ashpile83 wrote: »
    I too notice a change in my sinuses and allergies while swimming. But does anyone else ger disturbed by the amount of snot and boogies that means might be in the pool? Gross, right? I am a preschool teacher,so I can't help but think about it.

Totally! Special Ed preschool teacher here. We're all about snot, poop and farts where I work... Having 3 daughters did not prepare me for the world of preschool boys, lol!

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It doesn't stop after preschool, by the way.
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    lol... You're quite right. I've done middle and high school too. It's amazing to me--the staying power of fart jokes. Honestly, when I need a good laugh, I count on Will Farrell. Talk about a little boy...
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, if it turns out the chlorine will save me from shaving my legs, I think I might increase it to a daily swim...I'd rather swim then shave!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    You don't need to shave your legs because of swimming??? Never heard that one before.

Several ladies at the pool have commented that they have less body hair since they started working out in a pool. One said that her hair grows back over the summer because she swims in a lake instead of the pool and she needs to start shaving again, but can stop after about a month of being back in the pool.