Help with cravings!!

Options
I really love LCHF/keto. I have been teasing with the diet since January. I exercise twice daily 5 times a week, cardio with HIIT. My Marcos are within range I believe 180-200 fat, 100-130 protein and 60 carbs (35 net). I make it about two weeks and I crack. I go into a icecream frenzy. I have a craving for sweets but mostly for dairy. Any help on getting over this hump?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Looking at your weight loss.., I don't think you are eating enough. I can't see your diary so I really can't say for sure. I have never once been hungry going LCHF... But no way am I burning the kind of calories you are.
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    It could be part addiction as well. When the craving hits, one don't go to the store to get the ice cream if it's not already in the house, two - drink a tall glass of water, three - if the craving is still there try Trident ice cream flavored sugar free gum. Most often we are craving taste over the actual thing. One piece of gum is about 5 calories and 1 carb.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Considering they are eating between 2,100 and 2,500 calories a day, I doubt they are starving themselves. Not sure how fast they're losing, any maybe they could eat more, but they're not exactly going the extremes here. It's a good amount.

The biggest help in reducing cravings, for me, was getting rid of all the things that cause them. I dropped the nuts, the artificial sweeteners, the sugar-alcohols, and the "fake carb" foods that are low-carb but pretend to be high-carb stuff. If your only source of carbs is the low-carb veggies, the cravings go down a lot. It might help a lot to drop down to 20-25g (net) a day and only from vegetables.

If that still doesn't reduce the cravings, you may need to cut the vegetables even lower. I still had occasional cravings even at that level (although *DRAMATICALLY* lower than when eating the nuts and other stuff).
  • mac726
    mac726 Posts: 5
    Options
    I opened my diary. I know a lot of it is habit. You can't break years of eating in weeks but I'll do my best to change!! Thank you for the tips!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of exercise. Are your cravings after a workout? I can eat like a pig after a lot of exercise.
  • mac726
    mac726 Posts: 5
    Options
    Not really. I could go without eating if I wanted. The cravings come late after dinner or before a workout. Usually in the afternoons
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Maybe some torani sf syrups (if atificial sweeteners are ok) mixed up to create icecream flavors then blended with cream cheese. I had that once, was pretty good.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There are keto icecream recipes out there if that would help? But I agree with @FIT_Goat‌ that for some you have to get rid of all the things that are like high carb eg artificial sweeteners etc. Because some think they can cause cravings and maybe even an insulin response.