Vinegar. Hypoglycemic effects

Options
i don't know if anyone here has mentioned it before, but vinegar can have similar effects as metformin, according to a few studies.
I drink it before bedtime and it lowers my fasting bg considerably. I suffer from the dawn phenomenon and vinegar or alcohol have helped with fasting bg.
Apparently when has one drink before bedtime, it keeps the liver too busy that it kinda forgets to produce the hormones that cause the dawn phenomenon.
And vinegar just has hypoglycemic effects if drank before bedtime, or before meals. I tested it today by diluting 1 1/2 tbs of Apple cider vinegar in half a glass of water about 15 minutes before breakfast, then I had a high carb breakfast (which I don't usually do) and at the two hour mark, my glucose is 102.
I should mention that it can damage the teeth enamel so it's always a good idea to rinse your mouth right after drinking it, and drinking it with a straw to avoid direct contact with teeth.
I don't plan to use vinegar everyday, but it's good to know. I plan to control my glucose with diet, an occasional alcoholic drink before bedtime, sometimes vinegar, and exercise everyday.
If you are taking medications, you should ask your doctor before starting vinegar to avoid a dangerous low glucose.
I just wanted to share something I just found out myself to be helpful and effective.

Replies

• Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That is very interesting! I have a big bottle of apple cider vinegar - I'm going to try this!! My reading will be fine at bedtime, but in the 1-teens by morning (dawn effect :( ).

I might try drinking some before I have a pasta or higher carb meal too and see if that helps my 2 hour reading.

Thanks!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I tried it once in the evening but I couldn't stand the taste. It had no effect on my FBS.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Try diluting the vinegar in herbal tea or other flavored water. It mitigates the taste somewhat. I will try checking my BG and see if this had the same affect.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Watch out for herbal teas. Some of those have a LOT of sugar in them.. not "sugar" per se, but things like orange rind and other ingredients. My experience with some of these is that I can get more of a sugar rush from a "natural herbal tea" like "Red Raspberry Zinger" than if I just ate a piece of chocolate. :'(
  • sccjahab
    sccjahab Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I tried the vinegar and it didn't seem to work for me. Everyone responds differently to things. Then I tried lemon water and that seems to help. It's just water with lemon juice, no sweetener.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Is this apple cider or white vinegar?
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Apple cider. White vinegar may work as well but it is much stronger in taste.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ok, for those who say it didn't work for them, it may very well be the case. BUT, my experience the first try was like this: I drank about 1 1/2 oz right before a meal and after that high carb meal my glucose was too high at the two hour mark. So I thought it hadn't worked. Later in the day I had more bread in amounts I know raises my glucose and I checked again at the two hour mark. It was 98! I believe it took hours to work.
    I know different bodies react differently to everything. Having said that, there is definitely new (limited) real scientific evidence that vinegar has the same effects as metformin.
    Another thing I should mention is even though I'm not sure this is true, I suspect vinegar wouldn't work with a meal made up of potatoes, bread, breaded chicken and cake topped with vanilla ice cream. There is only so much any kind of remedy can do, and the rest is up to us.
    Good luck to anyone trying it, and sorry for those who this didn't work.
  • NewBeginningBren
    NewBeginningBren Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought apple cider vinegar because I took had heard about the wonderful BS lowering effect it has. Tried to do 2tbsp in a big glass of ice cold water and I just couldn't get it down. The taste was awful. Even the drink it down fast thing didn't work.
  • gaurdgoose
    gaurdgoose Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think it is the acid level. I always heard to take a jigger of it first thing in the morning. Just like you also here people tell you to drink juice from a half of lemon in warm water in the morning.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    From what I've read it is important to get the 'unfiltered' apple cider vinegar 'with the mother'. Mother being what they call the sort of hazy suspension of potassium and other minerals that distilling or filtering remove from vinegar.

I'm not usually a fan of home remedies or holistic approaches but I just have so much respect for the person that recommended this to me I have been doing it for about a month now. A little hard to tell what effect it is having because I was only recently diagnosed and so in the last three months my diet, exercise, and medications have all changed radically. But overall I'm now averaging a fasting BG of about 97.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've read the same things but I've also read several studies testing the effect and none mention filtered vs unfiltered.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    This article seems a bit over the top. I suspect next apple cider vinegar will solve global warming and do your taxes ... but it does give some good info on the hypoglycemic effects.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/21/apple-cider-vinegar-uses.aspx?e_cid=20150321Z1_DNL_B_art_2&utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art2&utm_campaign=20150321Z1_DNL_B&et_cid=DM72148&et_rid=884153284
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    BTW I also discovered I couldn't handle drinking it mixed in a big cup of water. Taste was just too intense and foul. So now I just drink it undiluted, and like a shot of whiskey. Throw it back, straight down the throat, swallow fast, cringe for the burn. Then I drink something else to get rid of the aftertaste. Sounds fun eh?
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There is a thread here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10114343/vinegar-and-insulin-resistance/p1
    with quite a few links to different studies.