10k training

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
Hi Everyone

I'm currently training for my second ever 10k race. I very much have a love/hate relationship with running, which I only discovered last year!

I'm starting to think that if I want to run a half or full marathon I'm best doing it sooner rather than later as I'm 33 this year....

Anyway, while I ponder that it'd be great to have some more running pals off tips and inspiration! Preferably from the uk, just because of the time difference!

Replies

• emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Inspiration……… Hmmm not sure I can do that lol If it helps I'm a overweight, broken ex rugby player, asthmatic and generally a bit ouchy but I run (not fast but I move)
    Keep at it hun, a bit at a time and you'll get there. I've been running on and off (rugby injuries aren't conducive to a regular training plan) since 2009 and completed my 1st half last year age 33 and doing my 2nd next month.
    I do love a 10k :) where's your 10k?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 this year too and I don't think it's anywhere near too old to be tackling half and full marathons for the first time. I only started racing aged 29 (after running for 3 years before that) and I expect to continue to improve well into my 30s before the inevitable age-related decline. So I say take your time, get comfortable with the 10k first, and get to the longer distances (if you decide you want to) with more years and miles of running behind you!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hmm, first HM was at 44, and the plan has me on marathon this year at 45.

Wasn't a spectacular time but it was ok :)

I have two HMs in Dorset this year, then two marathons in Wiltshire/ Hampshire.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    emblu wrote: »
    Inspiration……… Hmmm not sure I can do that lol If it helps I'm a overweight, broken ex rugby player, asthmatic and generally a bit ouchy but I run (not fast but I move)
    Keep at it hun, a bit at a time and you'll get there. I've been running on and off (rugby injuries aren't conducive to a regular training plan) since 2009 and completed my 1st half last year age 33 and doing my 2nd next month.
    I do love a 10k :) where's your 10k?

Leeds, race for life at Temple Newsam.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Leeds, race for life at Temple Newsam.[/quote]

Nice one :smile: Enjoy it hunni x
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am not in the UK but jumping in to say that I don't think you are ever too old to run a half marathon. I began running in December 2013 at age 66. Ran my first half six months later and my second half four months after that. Now I am training for another half in May and my fourth one in July. I am slow but love running and hope to do it until I am into my 80s at least. Hope that you enjoy the half distance as much as I have. Best wishes!
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on running 2 10ks this year, one end of April and one in November that spans across the bay bridge in Maryland (if I get accepted to register)

I'm excited and nervous
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK. Got a 10k race tomorrow, my second half booked for May, third Half in July and a 30 mile fell ultra in September. I'm 57 , didn't start running until I was 54, and like suetorrence hope to still be running in my 80's. OK so I'm not fast but that doesn't stop me enjoying my running.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Not from the UK either, but ran my first half in 2012, a month before my 48th B-day, and today I have run 38 half marathons, and 3 full (first full at age 49). I have not properly trained for a full yet (too low mileage) but will change that for my 4th (and 5th) this year! Hoping to continue running for a long time!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm a 42 y-o woman living in south Wales. I started running in May-13 at 300lbs, ran my first HM in Jun-14 and ended up doing 6 HM's last year taking my PB from 2:40 to 1:55. I'm still about 15lbs from goal but am currently training for this year's London Marathon (have my second 20 mile race tomorrow) and have my first Ultra soon too. I've found the increased mileage has also led to an increase in speed over the shorter distances (took 11s off my 10k PB 3 weeks ago and 23s off my 5k PB this morning). I'm no expert being a new runner but have had lots of help and advice from members of my Running Club :)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the UK either… but I just started training for a 10K this morning. And I'm 36. I think you're fine. Just follow your program. Listen to your body. And enjoy!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    started running at 38 years old and have run 6 marathons now. There were three men running in the 75-79 age category in the last marathon I ran. Just saying....33 is not "old." ;)
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    started running at 38 years old and have run 6 marathons now. There were three men running in the 75-79 age category in the last marathon I ran. Just saying....33 is not "old." ;)

I just started in the fall at 37, im 38 now. Its definitely not old.

Today I went to run and only planned on going at the most 5 miles, I ended up doing 6(could have gone longer if that 6 wasn't at the top of a hill lol). I think I'm ready for my first 10k next month.
  • litsy3
    Options
    I guess the original question was not 'is it old' but more 'is it approaching too old to do well at marathons', and I think the answer is definitely no, as a lot of female marathon runners run their best times in their mid to late thirties.

I've also heard (no scientific basis whatsoever, just anecdotally!) that you're likely to improve for a good few years after you take up running. So if you've been doing it since your teens, 33 might be a bit on the late side to move up to marathons, but if you've only just started at 32 then I'd argue it is way too early.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    I've seen 60 year olds running marathons
  • litsy3
    Options
    Yes, of course 60 year olds run marathons. I have a good friend who took up running aged 53 and will most likely break 3:30 for the marathon at 56 this year. I'm also pretty sure that if she'd taken up running in her 30s she'd have been a lot faster, though. Almost certainly faster than me. There may well be an optimum age, but I think the message we can all get from this is that we need to work with our own situation - we're trying to get the most out of the years of running we can put in, whatever age we start at, and we don't need to think in terms of 'better get on with it; time's running out'.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I ran my first full at 60 and lots of halfs since then. I'm 70.
  • litsy3
    Options
    That's ace plateaued! I hope I'm still running at 70, though I think I might give up full marathons before then. :)
  • Robbnva
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    That's ace plateaued! I hope I'm still running at 70, though I think I might give up full marathons before then. :)

This
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I started running about 11 years ago. I ran a 3:10 marathon at age 45 and I'm not done yet. 30s is definitely not "too old" for anything, except maybe playing running back in the NFL.