On the road to recovery

Options
CEK0220
CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
Good morning all. I am happy to say that I am recovering nicely after my surgery. It seems I've had a lot easier time of it than some people I've read about. The nursing staff at my hospital were amazing and took such good care of me. Jason, the night nurse my first night, came in to check on me and asked how I was doing. I asked him how soon can I walk. He looked at my mom and said he didn't think he'd ever had anyone ask him that before. He told me to wait a little longer when the hallway was clearer and then he would take me for a walk. He asked me about my nausea and wanted to know if there was even just a little. I only had little waves of it, so he knocked that right out with a bit of medication to my IV. God love that man! We walked 3 times that night. I walked as much as I could after that, too. I was determined to get well and get out of there. The staff would find me in the hall and would be like, "Do you need help walking?" Nope! I've got this! Me and my IV pole have got this! By the way, that IV pole drove like a grocery store cart, so I had to work a little harder than I thought I would. LOL I stayed 2 nights in the hospital and was only on my pain medication for the next day and a half. I am doing pretty good at getting fluids in and working on how to get the most protein in without overdoing things. But like the walking in the hospital, I think I've got this.

Replies

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've definitely got it! Keep walking, drink your water, follow your plan, and expect the best!
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing great! I'm glad everything has gone well for you! :) I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thanks cabennett99 and lenac87!
  • Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    that is awesome I am happy for you!!! I am up next come on 23rd!!
  • susie864
    susie864 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am scheduled for April 2nd - kinda nervous...
    -
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    susie864 wrote: »
    I am scheduled for April 2nd - kinda nervous...
    -

We have a great group here. Feel free to ask anything! You will do great!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thank you Laura. Will be thinking of you & susie864 as your days approach. Y'all are gonna do just fine. And like Luna said, we have a great group here to support you.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear everything went well.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wish I had found this group before my surgery! But yes, it'll only get better from here- the first days in the hospital were the worst for me, and it sounds like you had a better time of it than I did. :)

I will say, the first week when you get home is -amazing-. I weighed myself every day and was so excited to see the number go down down down. It slowed way down my second week, but you should still see it ticking in the correct direction. :D
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Keep it up!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Okay that's the hard part every day will get better and better. Glad you had a good nurse, the early walking makes a difference.
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wow you are doing great and that positive attitude will get you so far! Best of luck t you and to the ladies with upcoming surgery! Keep up the good work!!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I tried to get off the pain meds too early and have had to resort to using it again. But that is okay. I am feeling great and doing well with my recovery. Y'all are all the best!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    @CEK0220 - I was so glad to read your post about how motivated you were to get up and moving after surgery. That's my plan. I dont' want to be down any longer than I need to. I'm waiting patiently for my surgery date and should know in a few weeks. Keep up the great work. It's so helpful to read these post before surgery. The less guess work the better!

Good Luck Laura and Susie!!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Renae thank you for the kind words, and you're gonna do awesome when your time comes.
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration I hope I do as well but I'm only getting one night in the hospital. I guess that works out to two days.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    So glad you have done so well. When we feel good we tend to overdo. That's when it's good to have the pain meds available. Hope all is still well for you.
  • MRS1TAS
    MRS1TAS Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great. Stay positive and keep walking. I stayed in the hospital 3 nights. Not because I had any problems, but because I had a 2 hour drive back home. I wasn't ready to make the trip after two nights. Good luck with everything.
  • CEK0220
    Options
    This is why I love this group so much. Y'all are all so awesome and encouraging. I am really doing well. I just had that little bout of discomfort that was promptly taken care of with my medication...and the recliner! LOL
    Kleona29, thank you. I am humbled by your post. You will do great when you go in. Just remember to read all your information, do what they tell you, do your breathing exercises, and walk! It hurts, but do it! You will only benefit from it.
    Karlottap you are so right. I got to feeling good and just over did it. The meds help so much!
    MRS1TAS I am doing great, still!
    Thank you all for the good luck and well wishes! <3
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    <3