Free Glucometer

Options
iris8pie
iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
I saw this being offered on the keto adaptation facebook page...thought i would share it here...I hope its legit! https://www.choosefreestyle.com/select-your-meter.html

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Even though I have a glucometer, I like that one of the options was a glucose/ketone combo. I can always give my other device on to someone who needs it. I haven't tracked anything in a while.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Since you have to enter your insurance #, do you think they bill your insurance?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Since you have to enter your insurance #, do you think they bill your insurance?

Yes. I actually signed up for this Freestyle plan last summer. All insurance is different. And plans from the same insurance company are different. With that said, my insurance policy at my company required a prescription from the doctor. When I talked to my endocrinologist (diabetic doc), he said that in order for the insurance to pay for it, you have to be a type 1 diabetic (I am type 2). Because type 1 diabetics have to monitor their ketones more closely (in case they go into "hi" blood sugars - ketoacidosis).

My doc gave me the script anyway, and I was to see if the insurance company would pay for it. Unfortunately, I never tried it, because at the same time, someone on the Keto discussion group mentioned the Ketonix product. After researching it, I like the cost better to use that product.

So, call your doc/insurance and find out before doing anything. Also check the prices of the strips. I see if you purchase them from Canada or Australia, they are cheaper than America.

YMMV...

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I got mine quite a while ago, but they didn't bill anything or anyone. I just chose an insurance company that sounded like my own (my exact one wasn't listed) and didn't type in a number (it says "Offer Code or Health Insurance Group Number: (optional)") and got my Precision Xtra meter in less than a week. I bought some of the ketone strips from Canada but I have heard that now there are some on ebay that are cheaper.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I did pretty much what Mistizoom did. I left that field blank and selected one close to my insurance. I'll be checking around on the strips if I like it.
  • stillonamission
    Options
    I filled out the form and left the insurance number blank. Mine was delivered yesterday.. but I am scared to try it out!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I got mine Friday or Saturday. I want to get further in Ketosis before I "use" any strips. I'm only on week three or so
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I filled out the form and left the insurance number blank. Mine was delivered yesterday.. but I am scared to try it out!

Scared because of the pain of pricking your finger? Or scared you might not be in ketosis?

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I got mine Friday or Saturday. I want to get further in Ketosis before I "use" any strips. I'm only on week three or so

How will you know? Catch22. :wink:
  • nill4me
    Options
    I use a precision xtra. As an FYI, the Abbott Freestyle Optimum ketone strips work in the precision xtra meter. They are the exact same strip, just come packaged in a different box under a different name. you can get them on ebay. they ship from Oz. Don't buy them all. I have to order more soon...lol
  • nill4me
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    I use a precision xtra. As an FYI, the Abbott Freestyle Optimum ketone strips work in the precision xtra meter. They are the exact same strip (strip code 75001), just come packaged in a different box under a different name. you can get them on ebay. they ship from Oz. Don't buy them all. I have to order more soon...lol

• stillonamission
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Scared because of the pain of pricking your finger? Or scared you might not be in ketosis?

Pricking my finger!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've got a Nova Max, which I got from their special -- https://storefront.novacares.com/storefront/specials.html

No insurance necessary, and $40 for a meter and two boxes of ketone strips is a steal.
  • iris8pie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Pricking my finger!

Mine just arrived! I sat here for like 45 minutes working up the courage to prick my finger :s

• ABonsu
    ABonsu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just received mine today :) didn't take long to get here, about 4 days. I'm not sure which test strips I should use. Can someone send me the link to purchase the test strips?
  • iris8pie
    Options
    the strips are really expensive...on ebay they are 10 for 30 bucks. I heard tell that they are super cheap at walmart though, and this website sells them for 16 for 10 but ships from australlia... http://www.ketosistools.com/collections/ketone-strips
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    I bought mine from Universal Drugstore in Canada, but it was quite a while ago. http://www.universaldrugstore.com/medications/precision+xtra+ketones+test+strips
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The FREE meters will put you on a steady mail plan at $40 a bottle for the strips, I talked to the Pharmasict, and strips in a Walgreens, etc are same price, with ultra cheap meters ..it's the old " free razor..by the blades forever" plan. ANd unless a Dr. prescribes it most ins. won't cover cost..for Keto folks it is cheaper to not get involved with ins. etc and buy one-- a member told me of ReliOn at Walmart, ~$16.90 and 50 strips $9. the box of 100 was not a deal. so for under $30 I don't have to mess with ins/government and medical corp silliness…those without ins. pay anyway. The gov subsidizes diabetics to lessen overall lifetime cost of care, that is why these companies advertise all over, your tax dollar pays for their getting funded to give you 'free supplies' Same with state power companies…private ones paid to give you "Free bulbs, insulation, door strips, even lamps that ONLY use the mercury bulbs (from China)"..all to save energy nationwide for all. someone pays. you.
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The FREE meters will put you on a steady mail plan at $40 a bottle for the strips, I talked to the Pharmasict, and strips in a Walgreens, etc are same price, with ultra cheap meters ..it's the old " free razor..by the blades forever" plan. ANd unless a Dr. prescribes it most ins. won't cover cost..for Keto folks it is cheaper to not get involved with ins. etc and buy one-- a member told me of ReliOn at Walmart, ~$16.90 and 50 strips $9. the box of 100 was not a deal. so for under $30 I don't have to mess with ins/government and medical corp silliness…those without ins. pay anyway. The gov subsidizes diabetics to lessen overall lifetime cost of care, that is why these companies advertise all over, your tax dollar pays for their getting funded to give you 'free supplies' Same with state power companies…private ones paid to give you "Free bulbs, insulation, door strips, even lamps that ONLY use the mercury bulbs (from China)"..all to save energy nationwide for all. someone pays. you.

Are you talking about blood ketone test strips or blood glucose test strips?