What did you do with your old "fat" clothes?

Options
JamesAztec
JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
I'm getting to the point where some of my pants are getting fairly loose and I can barely wear them, even with a belt.

Did you eventually donate them to charity? Or maybe you saved some "just in case" you gained some weight back? Or maybe you saved your biggest pair of pants just to remind yourself of where you were and to never go back (and maybe show people for "fun" how big you were.)? Or maybe even some clothes had sentimental value that you didn't want to give away.

Thankfully for me, I have some clothes that are a few sizes too small for me right now, so hopefully I'll be "shrinking" into them over the coming months. My surgery is Monday, March 16 so it's coming up fast. Any last minute advice tips for me would be appreciated. :-) Thanks!

Replies

• madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I donated all my clothes I grew out of. I have donated about 3/4 of my wardrobe. The quarter that is left is stuff from years ago that I fit in now or clothes picked up since surgery.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The people in my WLS support group bring their old clothes in to exchange with each other.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I donated as I lost. The mental boost of wearing good fitting clothes as you down size is important. Baggy clothes hide your progress! I've been able to fit back in to old clothes, especially suits, for four months (down nearly 100 lbs). As with madmags, my wardrobe is almost bare and today I made my first trip Men's Wearhouse to restock. I do intend to hold on to some things that are one size to big from here on out just in case. And I did keep one of my biggest suits - it's a great motivator to pull out whenever I hit a stall.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have kept one pair of jeans as a reminder of how far I've come. The rest, I've donated or sold on ebay. I've actually made about $500 on ebay selling clothes.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I gave away mine as soon at they didn't fit. I don't want to ever be that size again!!
  • hochhalc
    hochhalc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is no just in case, I am never going back. I give away my big clothes when they get baggy.Such a rush to move into small sizes. So far I have been able to mostly shop in my closet.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've been shopping my own closet and tolerating slightly-too-big clothes mostly. I've bought a few pairs of jeans and ts and new exercise clothes. I haven't really done anything with my old stuff yet. I need to start going through my summer stuff to get rid of it, though, because I need the space to put my new summer wardrobe when I get them.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A little of everything…Consigned; donated to charity; gave to friends/family/wls support group members. I didn't keep any, not even as a reminder.
  • jktefft
    jktefft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I gave mine to goodwill
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yep did all that you mentioned, gave away most, kept a couple of the largest of my clothes as a reminder and a few special pieces that were sentimental ( mom made me a beautiful quilted jacket) I was fortunate to have friend loose weight before me so I have gotten a lot of "hand me downs" with price tags still on them.
    Last minute advise, take lip balm the hospital's are so dry, take ear plugs just in case your roommate at the hospital is a mourner, but most importantly remember why you are having the surgery and that you deserve to be happy and healthy. All the best tomorrow and see you on the other end of the bench! B)
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've been going through my clothes tonight and putting them in a big garbage bag to donate. Luckily I had some undershirts/underwear that I had bought years ago (still in original packaging) that I kept. Now it all fits pretty snug but I know in the coming weeks they will loosen up too. One of my NSV I'm looking forward to is shopping in a REGULAR STORE and not having to buy clothes online from a Big and Tall.

Life is good and it's getting better everyday!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have given most of my "bigger" clothes away. I have some that a friend of mine is going to take. I'm not going to keep anything that was from pre-surgery or is too big. I don't want the temptation of thinking I can gain a few pounds and still have clothes that fit.
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have to go clear out my closet. I have clothes that range from size 2x tops and 20 bottoms. I now wear large tops and size 10 bottoms. I have always been somewhat fashion savvy so whoever gets my larger clothing will be making out pretty well. I just have to find the time to get rid of them. They are sad to look at.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I donated them as fast as I shrunk out of them and continue to do so...I don't want to give myself the option of regain.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    To Goodwill! At least I can get a tax deduction for them, lol!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I donate, I have 1 pair of pants that I wanted to get into, they were my 'goal pants'. Well, I can fit into them but they fall off...... LOL. I am keeping them as a reminder that I can achieve so much more than I thought I could.... I just finished going through all my clothes and donated them all, as they were all too big. I am not going to regain, that is no longer an option. I have changed my eating habits, and added exercise!
    I have purchased a few nice things to keep me going. I need to lose 15 more pounds and will wait to get more when I get there.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I gave away a lot, donated a lot, sold some on eBay as well. It was important to me to always have clothes that fit well as I went through this process, for both personal and professional reasons. It just really made me feel better. That said, I was a VERY frugal shopper and I didn't spend a lot on clothes as I lost. Like others, I was also able to "shop" in my closet for a while since I had so many smaller clothes from over the years, but I actually went through those much more quickly than I expected!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just took two garbage bags to googwill ,
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    gave some to a friend, gave lots to charity and ebayed the rest.

i went thru my wardrobe at the weekend and removed all my summer dresses from last year. i now have 20 dresses to ebay this week

i did keep one big outfit as a reminder not to go there ever again
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I am pre-op but attend a bariatric support group and several times members have brought clothes they can no longer wear and given them to new members who can use them. I plan to give all of mine away and have already started to fill a bag.