Purée phase

Options
jesswagspgh
jesswagspgh Posts: 18 Member
Struggling with phase 2. Any suggestions beyond yogurt & scrambled eggs? My dr isn't down with shakes, so I'm looking for some good ideas.

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Refried beans, hamburger and spaghetti sauce, ground pork and BBQ sauce. Greek yogurt and tuna, hummus and whey protein powder,(add water) cottage cheese and lentils.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Blend canned meat (ham or chicken--it looks awful but tastes pretty good) with cream soups. You can add protein powder to it too if you want. I lived off this for my pureed stage.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am just starting that phase. I can have low fat cheese, refried beans, eggs, chicken, fish and ham, yogurt & cottage/ricotta cheese. Veggies cooked til mushy (yuk!) But Id caution you on the beef and pork. Check with your Dr. I was told absolutely no beef or pork as it is too dense and harder to digest. Baked ricotta with tomato basil sause and fat free Mozzarella is pretty awesome!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, canned fish like sardines, tuna/chicken/ham salad, ground beef/lamb (meatballs), canned peaches & pears. Keep it moist, keep it soft. Lot's of books out there, but my favorite is Weight Loss Sugery Cookbook for Dummies, great recipes for all stages that will please the entire family.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I made a "protein purée". In a crockpot I cooked sweet potato, acorn squash, onion, garlic, Apple and chicken sausage. After everything was soft I puréed it with a couple scoops of unflavored protein powder and jerk seasoning. I lived off of that stuff. You could add what ever seasoning you wanted. You can also do cottage cheese, ricotta, tuna fish or those packed things of salmon are really good too.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    OMG tat2cookie! I want your protein puree!! I am gonna copy that and save it for when I get to that point! Thanks for posting
  • jesswagspgh
    Options
    I have tried the ricotta & sauce. It was good but the thought of it now makes me nauseous.

That is my struggle. I'll want something so bad & the I'll have it & get sick. Even in table spoon amounts. So now I'm gun shy to eat anything.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. My sleeve is pretty picky. I can't do cooked egg yolks like I a hard boiled egg, or even a whole scrambled egg. Over easy is fine and I can do egg white, just no yolk!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    LoriBuckner, I too was told no beef or pork for about four months. I was wondering if that was just my doctor.
  • ac7nj
    Options
    I am just starting that phase. I can have low fat cheese, refried beans, eggs, chicken, fish and ham, yogurt & cottage/ricotta cheese. Veggies cooked til mushy (yuk!) But Id caution you on the beef and pork. Check with your Dr. I was told absolutely no beef or pork as it is too dense and harder to digest. Baked ricotta with tomato basil sause and fat free Mozzarella is pretty awesome!

The beef and pork have to be pureed then they will digest well enough.

Randy
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ac7nj wrote: »
    The beef and pork have to be pureed then they will digest well enough.

Randy

Randy, My Bariatric Center does not allow any Beef or Pork even if it is pureed. Not introduced into diet until after 4 months post op.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Struggling with phase 2. Any suggestions beyond yogurt & scrambled eggs? My dr isn't down with shakes, so I'm looking for some good ideas.

For that phase I ate a lot of ricotta cheese mixed with spaghetti sauce. It was quite tasty despite not sounding like it would be. But - by far the protein shakes are where the majority of my protein came from (and still does). There's just no way to get that much bang for you buck with the amount of food we can eat in a day. I also ate pureed canned chicken mixed with guacamole and sour cream.

- Michelle
  • kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes and gravy!
  • jesswagspgh
    Options
    I don't know how you guys are keeping canned meat down. Haha! Apparently I have a sensitive "stomach" and have had some issues. No bueno
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Refried beans, hamburger and spaghetti sauce, ground pork and BBQ sauce. Greek yogurt and tuna, hummus and whey protein powder,(add water) cottage cheese and lentils.

Is this for the sleeve or bypass?

• stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    As you can tell, a lot of different plans out there. Follow the guidelines your doc gave you. That being said, my plan allowed all meat except red meat at your stage, but I found that unless it was shredded or ground, it was too dense to digest easily. And if it was too dry that also caused problems. So I ended up eating lots of beans and fish.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Stage 2 was all clear liquids for me (consomme, jello, cranberry juice) and ended before I left the hospital. Stage 3 was cottage cheese (with chives, I was desperate for savory), soups with goat cheese in it, yogurt and protein shakes.

Stage 4 allows cold cuts and soft moist proteins and will last another month or so on my program. So far I'm really enjoying being able to eat pickles.
  • jesswagspgh
    Options
    I'm also never hungry...never. So, I'm eating at times because I know I need to.
  • ac7nj
    Options
    lgw0326 wrote: »

Is this for the sleeve or bypass?

I had the sleeve