what IS it about losing weight after 40?!?!!?

Options
kasamgirl
kasamgirl Posts: 14 Member
hi all - I'm a newbie to mfp but in the past I've had real success with dropping the pounds. It seemed so easy in my 20s and 30s. Now that I've crossed 40 it seems impossible!! I've been dropping 1 or 2 and gaining back 3 or 4 for about a year now each week. Oh and I have the worst bloated stomach ever. And this is AFTER I have given up all junk food. It's just like my body is saying "I'm not budging from 150 so suck it up" :( what gives???

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    40 isn't a magic number where you get fat. I got down to my high school weight in my late 30's and am still there at 40 (104 pounds this morning). I just ate less and moved more.

If you're a newbie to mfp, plug in your stats, get a goal, log your food to be under that goal until you lose weight.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Hi. I don't necessarily think it has to do with age. I think it has to do with having more going on in your 40s then perhaps 20s and 30s so maybe less time to exercise, eating for convenience because no time to food prep, etc. As far as bloat I can only share my experience. I've never been diagnosed lactose intolerant but cutting dairy from my diary alleviated that problem. I still have my occasional frozen yogurt and when I do I look pregnant! Lol. Also how is your fiber intake?
  • jackiebh42
    jackiebh42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sadly our metabolism slows with age :# used to be so easy to lose weight without any effort when I was younger. Guess we just have to work extra hard. Sigh! :\
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Anybody know if it is due to muscle loss? I wonder if strength training will help fix this issue.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think that's probably part of it - the years of sitting in cars and at desks and on couches is not exactly jacking up our metabolism! I also think bad habits get ingrained over time to the point where they're hard to even notice and easy to be in denial about.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Loss of lean muscle as we age is one of the causes of it. Aging plus a calorie deficit is a big punch in the face to your metabolism. You'll see this advice over and over again in forums.. but... lift weights and refuel if you want to keep that lean muscle. You're not going to bulk up like a guy on a deficit - it takes a huge amount of calories to grow muscle. The goal is to keep whatever you have. So do your cardio/classes/whatever but incorporate some sort of weights into your routine.

To me the only challenge of being 46 is that I have a few more boo-boo's to work around than your average 20 year old.
  • kasamgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the tips....will look into doing weights more to build muscle mass. Have also started taking a probiotic daily to help with the bloat (my fibre intake is already pretty high). Am trying to "shake it up" by doing cardio 5 mornings a week and going a little under my 1200 calories a day and if I don't see results in 2 weeks max - I'm going to my doctor.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    kasamgirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips....will look into doing weights more to build muscle mass. Have also started taking a probiotic daily to help with the bloat (my fibre intake is already pretty high). Am trying to "shake it up" by doing cardio 5 mornings a week and going a little under my 1200 calories a day and if I don't see results in 2 weeks max - I'm going to my doctor.

the 1200 calories a day is supposed to be net calories, not gross. you're supposed to eat more if you're doing cardio 5 days a week.
  • LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I feel like for me it's a hormone thing. I can feel mine changing in many ways: cycle changes; PMS changes; libido changes; appetite changes and energy changes. It really sucks. Every one is different though so... ya never really know.
  • kasamgirl
    Options
    Does anyone know why some of the replies in here (this thread has 2) are showing up locked?
  • CKMillson
    CKMillson Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think it isn't the actual number of being over 40 but the fact our kids aren't quite as demanding and we have a moment to think of ourselves, then that moment is over and we are dashing everywhere, trying to do everything. At some point there hormonal changes will have an impact too. Muscle burns more calories than fat so incorporating weight training is great advice. I read a study, can't remember the journal, it was a couple of years ago. They had implemented weight training in adults over 80 years old and determined that they could still build muscle mass. So if an 80 year old can do it, I know I can too!
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well if you are a woman the 40's is usually a stage called peri menopause. And many women experience hormonal changes, metabolism changes, plus things like hot flashes and night sweats. I think there is also a connection with muscle loss the older we get.
  • myfreeacct
    myfreeacct Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To be honest I have just gotten lazier over the years! There I said it.. I want to be thin and healthy but to be honest I don't want to do the work.. I suck.. Oh ya I love to eat..
    I have set a small goals for myself
    1. Eat all meals no skipping
    2. Get up and keep moving
    3. No stress or beating myself up anymore.
    4. If I want more I have to do more.
  • hisfitwife11
    hisfitwife11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and hoping this doesn't hit me anytime soon. I've had 5 children and I think my metabalism is still going. Hoping to find some friends on here that are trying to dodge the bullet. :)
  • farmergirl1974
    Options
    It can definitely be done. I started my journey at age 39 and lost 80 pounds in 9 months. Six months later and I've kept it off and am currently the same weight and size I was when I graduated high school. Life is good!
  • KFraz02
    KFraz02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Losing weight in your mid to late 40's sucks. You have to work so much harder! The things I used to do for weight loss don't work now. I'm 46, gonna be 47 on Friday & those pre-menopausal hormones are not kind to the hips and thighs!
  • Lindy0070
    Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    Hi. I don't necessarily think it has to do with age. I think it has to do with having more going on in your 40s then perhaps 20s and 30s so maybe less time to exercise, eating for convenience because no time to food prep, etc. As far as bloat I can only share my experience. I've never been diagnosed lactose intolerant but cutting dairy from my diary alleviated that problem. I still have my occasional frozen yogurt and when I do I look pregnant! Lol. Also how is your fiber intake?

I totally agree with you. We have families and more responsibilities in our 40's. Personally, in my twenties I found it a lot easier to get up early in the morning to do a Cindy Crawford workout video!!!!! I just think it's a slower, less instant fix in your 40's to achieve sustainable weight loss and fitness.
  • fowen31
    fowen31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    KFraz02 wrote: »
    Losing weight in your mid to late 40's sucks. You have to work so much harder! The things I used to do for weight loss don't work now. I'm 46, gonna be 47 on Friday & those pre-menopausal hormones are not kind to the hips and thighs!

I turned 47 years old on feb. 13 too!! and I know what you mean by pre-menopausal hormones mine is all in the belly though!

We need to be friends since we share the same bday and issues with hormones:)
  • Ratches
    Ratches Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Our bodies don't process food the same way - If I had a dollar for every over 40 person I have talked to in the last month that has some kind of food intolerance I would be loaded.

I myself have had to cut out or reduce sugar, Gluten /Yeast / mushrooms, blue cheese , bananas, pineapple tomatoes and spinach - I am seeing the belly swell change , I don't feel as foggy in my brain as before and I am less cranky not to mention I lost 3 pounds

It has taken a lot longer than in my 20 & 30's but never the less doable
  • LuvRun75
    LuvRun75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kasamgirl wrote: »

I had the bloat super bad but started taking a probiotic about a month ago and no more problems with that. I feel a ton better and don't feel sick in my stomach after eating. I think your on the right track!