Blood ketone reading machine

Options
2»

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    nill4me wrote: »
    Have you checked your blood glucose with your meter granny?
    Nice pic :)
    No I haven't. I've only got ketone strips. Do you think it's worth having blood sugar strips as well? And thank you re the pic <3

Cheers yarwell and kirkor.

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Today's discovery (if I'm interpreting correctly). Yesterday I ate 30 grams of carb. Friday I ate 22. This is definitely more than intended. I aim for 15 or under per day, but am at peace with up to 20 max. On both days, lunch was beyond my control and too high in carbs to allow me to 'rescue' the day with dinner.

According to Prof Noakes, if you are severely metabolically damaged coming into keto, then you *must* remain under 25g carbs every day to stay in ketosis.

My blood ketones this morning were 0.6 - still in ketosis - so perhaps that means that I wasn't 'too' metabolically damaged coming in. I had no medical conditions, but I was certainly pushing my luck. Looks as if I found LCHF in time, before permanent damage was done <3

(I don't take my ketone reading every day, only when I think I can discover something by measuring it.)
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Per the diet doctor:
    Blood ketones are best measured on a fasted stomach in the morning (before breakfast, that is). Here are a few pointers on how to interpret the result:

Below 0.5 mmol/L is not considered “ketosis”. At this level, you’re far away from maximum fat-burning.
    Between 0.5-1.5 mmol/L is light nutritional ketosis. You’ll be getting a good effect on your weight, but not optimal.
    Around 1.5 – 3 mmol/L is what’s called optimal ketosis and is recommended for maximum weight loss.
    Values of over 3 mmol/L aren’t neccessary. That is, they will achieve neither better nor worse results than being at the 1.5-3 level. Higher values can also sometimes mean that you’re not getting enough food. For type 1 diabetics, it can be caused by a severe lack of insulin, see below.

I have the precision xtra and only measure my ketone levels on Saturdays (fasting) due to the cost of strips. Its more or less to let me know if ive done a good job fending off hidden carbs. I bought the blood ketone meter because after over a year on low carb the scale barely moved. this didnt shock me too much because I am on medications that make me gain weight but I decided I wanted to be SURE that was the reason and not something I was doing wrong. The first time I measured it read at .02 and I was besides myself! I had been avoiding all starch for so long! Doing 20 or less carbs, going to the gym 5 days a week... so yes I was calorie deficient. So I cut down the amount of dairy I consumed, infact, limited it to pretty much just whipping cream for my coffee and that's it. And it helped... the second time I measured it was .05 I read lots of blogs and came across where someone had mentioned atkins products throwing them out of ketosis. Well at that time I would could in my daily carb count the atkins m&m candies and an atkins shake almost daily. I cut out all atkins products and the following week I went to 1.4!

I check my glucose levels from time to time... they've always been very low since the first test though so im not worried about them as much.

I dont think the meter will guarantee weight loss.I agree you need to do the other work with food and exercise but I do think it is a super useful tool in helping you find hidden sugar in things that may not effect other people but spike your glucose levels enough to keep you out of ketosis. Using this tool I have FINALLY started to see the pounds go down despite my medication which is a task I had almost given up on! It has helped me look at the equation more scientifically and make changes where needed.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences WL43. My best ever reading has been 1.1 but I eat cheese fairly regularly. I wonder if I would do better without it? Or by limiting it. Might be worth a try. I haven't been having any manufactured products at all (ie Atkins), and nothing sweet either.

Has it been your experience that you lose weight faster if your keto reading is higher?

I'm really happy for you that you are having weight loss now. You have worked hard for it!
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lose weight easier when the ketone number is higher yes, but I think that just shows I didn't have too many hidden carbs.... I think saying that alone could be misleading though because I do a lot more than just monitor my ketone levels. I always keep my calories low which I know is a hot debate for keto and low carbers alike... I get the debate cause I used to be a low carb eater who maintained healthy weight eating 2400 calories a day so im indifferent. I think some things work for some people and not others... and also think peoples metabolisms change and what might have worked for someone in the past wont work now..... so now under doctor supervision my calories are between 1000-1200 a day, doing strength training five days a week. And my carbs I keep under 20g a day (5%). I allow myself within those means unlimited fat (80%) , moderate protein (15%,) barely any dairy and no sugar or starch.

Thank you for your support! :-) just keep at it eventually youll find something that clicks for you.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thank you WL43. It's really interesting to see changes with age isn't it? Frustrating too, when you see how fast the fat falls off of men or younger women, but I am happy for them, and know that I will eventually get there at my body's own pace.

I had been losing steadily but am having a bit of a stall again. This time I can see why, because my macros have been a bit out during the past week. It's amazing how closely I have to stick to them all to lose weight! But I enjoy recording cause and effect - thank goodness ;)