Workout Apps

marksniles
marksniles Posts: 12 Member
Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. Just wondering if you have any favorite workout apps that you use. I use Beatburn Treadmill. I love how it creates a cardio workout for the treadmill and adjusts the tempo of the music to match the speed in which i'm walking/jogging.

What are your favorite apps?

Mark

Replies

• I used to do a lot of cycling a couple years ago with my oldest son and always used Map My Ride. For no reason other than using the GPS to map where we went. Riding random roads all over the city, was cool to see where we went on a map. Total distance max/min/average speed.

We rode 70 km one day, and on the very last stretch my boy rolls up to me with a big grin and asks "Wanna race?". Seriously, we just did 70k? And boom he was gone. We tied.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    I use iCardio... works with my HRM, GPS mapping, provides custom HR zones, and it syncs up here reliably.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Gain - Cross Trainer It allows you to download exercise packs (you buy the packs) and build custom workouts. Then with the app, you can log your weight, sets, reps and rest time. A timer for the rest periods. They even have video demonstrations of each exercise.
  • chrisromrell
    chrisromrell Posts: 4 Member
    I have been using map my fitness. There are probably better ones out there but it works for running and for logging in my cross training with my hrm and it was free.
  • cwms3rd
    cwms3rd Posts: 31 Member
    I use Gorilla workout because I do not have weights at home.
  • NickIandolo
    NickIandolo Posts: 11 Member
    There are a few apps (aside from MyFitnessPal) that I use for my workouts in conjunction with each other:

1. You Are Your Own Gym - This bodyweight training program is simply the best. The app costs mere dollars and is so beyond worth it. Mark Lauren is the real deal. He's not looking to take your money like some other so-called fitness gurus. He has DVDs and one inexpensive piece of equipment and a couple of books but all you need (and he'll say this too) is the app—last time I checked I spent $4 on it and it has been updated free for the last few years. I can't stress enough how periodization for bodyweight training do so many great things for weight loss and fitness (along with MyFitnessPal for the calorie/nutrition tracking).

Don't take my word for it. Look this guy up, read what people have said about his program, and give it a try. He has convinced me that muscle eliminates fat and that strength training is way more effective for fitness than cardio.

I know that's a touchy subject, so I'm just saying that for me, I'm convinced that strength training is better. For me.

2. Instant Heart Rate - This great heart rate monitor app that only costs like $2 (far cheaper than a FitBit), is an awesome app for helping to track calories burned using your heart rate during a workout to gauge your progress. During the rest periods between sets in my workouts, I take a heart rate reading. Then after my workout I do a quick average overall heart rate (throwing out the lowest value and dividing the total by the number of values used in the total). Once I get the total overall average heart rate for my workout duration, I send the value over to another app for the calories burned.

3. Calories Burned Calculator - This simple to use calories burned calculator by JAZ Games is pretty straightforward. Get the calories burned for the duration of the workout and the average heart rate and then send that over to MyFitnessPal for the final inclusion into my now available calories for the day!

I basically (and ironically) use the Cardio category (Bodyweight Training) in MFP to input the workout and the calories earned by exercise (I have to reconcile the difference between my heart rate calculated burned calories with the MFP values but that's easy to do with the Quick Add Calories).

So these 4 apps are some of the key components in my weight loss and fitness toolbox.

Hope this helps!
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    I second Gorilla Workout. Its a quick circuit one. Currently I am doing a 60-day program from the makers of Gorilla Workout called Volt Thor Fitness. I am loving it at the moment. Another one I love is Sworkit. It automatically syncs calories with MFP.
  • multimartin
    multimartin Posts: 24 Member
    marksniles wrote: »
    Hey guys! Hope everyone is well. Just wondering if you have any favorite workout apps that you use. I use Beatburn Treadmill. I love how it creates a cardio workout for the treadmill and adjusts the tempo of the music to match the speed in which i'm walking/jogging.

What are your favorite apps?

Mark

I really like Beatburn too - just wish it would sync with MFP! I've found MapMyRun to be quite effective for looking at stats etc and it plays well with other services like MFP, FitBit etc.