Doing a Whole 30

Options
jagbug2014
jagbug2014 Posts: 21 Member
Today is Day 1 of my Whole 30. Anyone else want to join? Wheat is making my eczema super bad! So, time to eliminate! Have a great day, everyone! June

Replies

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had started Paleo Leap Restart before I found Whole 30. I am going to do Whole 30 when I am finished with Restart. I will be interested how you get along. :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily "Whole30" but never ever eat wheat. I'm pretty strict almost all of the time. :)
  • jagbug2014
    Options
    Rebamae, I actually bought the Paleo Restart, and hit Day 1 yesterday. I downloaded the cookbook, but I'm doing the Whole 30. I like the Restart recipes, and the tips, ect. But, I already had several meals already cooked up. I've preordered the new Whole 30 book coming out in April. Whichever way is best for each of us, just changing what we eat is going to be great for our bodies. Keep in touch and keep up the great work! June
  • jagbug2014
    Options
    Akimajuktuq, it sounds like you've found out what works for your body. That's a huge ah-ha moment. Feel free to join in and let me know how you're doing. We're here for each other. June
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We have a month by month Paleo/Primal/Whole30 group here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102847-primal-paleo-reset-for-2015 for daily logging and checking in, if you care to join up.
  • lmnopal
    lmnopal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of my Whole 30! Who knows, I may have to do a Whole 60 :/
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Good morning - day to each of you!!
    I am still doing the Paleo Restart - today is day 17. I am getting along really well - I do some meal changing to be able to cook for DH for dinner. But they all stay Paleo - I just use the cookbook to substitute.

How are each of you doing?
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at Whole 30 and have not seen the Paleo Restart before. I need to reign in my eating habits, especially the sweets and breads. The 10 Day Sugar Detox fascinates me but I think the Whole 30 is probably a more reasonable approach for me.
  • knittingbandmom
    Options
    For those of you who have purchased the Paleo Restart is it a one shot deal or can you do it over and over again? Looking at their site, it appears as though it is a one time membership but I can't tell if you can keep going once the 30 days is up. Thanks in advance for your help :) I'm kind of floundering right now as to which way to go.
  • Rebamae
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Knittingbandmom's, I am sending you a private message :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    You don't have to pick a program or follow a specific way. Just eat healthy whole foods. Find the way that works best for YOU. There's no finish line so you have all the time you need to figure it out. This has to be the easiest lifestyle to follow; no need to over-think it.

I guess if I had to suggest anything it would be Whole30 because it's just about being strict with food choice so that one can really experience the health improvements in a very short time.... Unfortunately, many people who try a Whole30 ignore the recommendations of not calorie counting or weighing one's body and I think that's an important aspect of it. (Guilty as charged!)
  • knittingbandmom
    Options
    Thank you both! I would love to do the Whole 30, I really would, but I'm not in a place to go that strict and stick with it right now. I realize the fact that I have a serious sugar and diet coke addiction screams that I should do it but I also just received a huge promotion at work and so all my energy right now is going into "that new job syndrome". Instead of eliminating everything all at once I think I'm going to drop one thing at a time until I get there :smile: I've already cut gluten containing and processed (mostly) foods so my next target will either have to be diet soda or sugar but I'm not sure which. They both are going to be painful lol.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^work on learning about new foods and trying new things instead of focusing on what you CAN'T have. If you are focused on what you are depriving yourself of you aren't going to have a positive experience; without a positive experience it will be hard to maintain any lifestyle for life. Decide, commit, do. For example, could you eat a prime rib steak, lobster tail, fried mushrooms, asparagus and a side salad with as much fats of your choice, and still feel deprived? Maybe say to yourself "eating healthy food is going to make me feel terrific" rather than "giving up X is going to be painful". Or you can make excuses. There's always something going on in life that we can let distract us from choosing healthy foods and lifestyle but honestly, we handle stress better when we are HEALTHY.
  • knittingbandmom
    Options
    You are so right dang it :) I've actually done really well considering I came from drive through what ever was on my way home and fake frozen food meals every day for, like years. Looking back I'm pretty sure that plus the stress is what put me where I am. Don't get me wrong, we have tried lots of new foods and recipes since starting back in September and I agree 100% that the food tastes better and we all feel better. My kids actually refuse to eat fast food now. And this was just from cutting out the gluten and cooking real food at home again. I did not decide to take it to the next level and go Paleo until after the first of the year. I soon realized the mistake I made over the holidays by not watching more closely what I was eating. I basically switched bread and gluten for dark chocolate and caffeine. At the time I remember thinking "they are gluten free". I didn't really realize how addicted I had become until New Years when I started trying to ditch them. So when I say painful I don't mean mentally so much as the sugar drop and no-caffeine headaches. I hope that makes sense.
  • lrpeedin
    lrpeedin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 16 of my whole 30 here. I NEEDED the rules. Not being able to limit myself for me to where I am now. It's going okay but this is my first time eating paleo. And while I feel amazing I still REALLY a want bread. Being healthy is more important than that want though, atleast to me.
  • katousignant
    katousignant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a Whole 30 in November and it was great. I was thinking about doing another one. Is is it better than doing the Paleo Restart? I looked that up and it seems pretty cheap for what they give you. I really like all of the meal plans.
  • knittingbandmom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have not finished reading It Starts With Food yet but I bought the Paleo Restart this morning and have no regrets. I've been looking at it over the last week or so and I think it's an awesome deal now that I have it. For me personally, I want to do a month of Autoimmune Paleo and Paleo Restart lets me customize the menus for that so that I don't have to keep going back to my book for meal ideas. I really love that the meals are simple and reasonable to fix both time and dollar wise.

Maybe when April is over I'll be ready to do a Whole30 in May.