Options
donnaj930
donnaj930 Posts: 1 Member
I just started tring to eat better and lose weight a week ago, omg its so hard to do working the shift i do. Please share some of your secrets

Replies

• sophieeef
    sophieeef Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try and eat porridge at night with raisins or wheatabix with banana and warm milk, it fills me up and its easy to digest at 2am!

I struggle the following morning, as I cycle home so I need to eat before I leave or I feel seriously lightheaded on the hills but I am always STARVING before I want to sleep :(
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Calories can't tell time. Just keep your daily calories in check with your goal and you'll be fine. Don't worry about when you are eating.
    -Drink lots of water. It helps. Promise.
    -Make sure you are getting enough protein… it keeps you satisfied longer.
    -Try to avoid the simple carbs as much as you can… they spike your blood sugar and then it crashes leaving you hungry and tired. (I am by no means a low-carber. I still love my breads and pastas. I just choose whole grain versions of them)
    -Try to get in workouts. At least for me… working out diminishes my appetite and gives me more energy. Just fit them in whenever you can. In the morning before you go to bed, In the afternoon/evening after you wake up. On your lunch break. Whatever you can do.
  • Killian_Wargear
    Killian_Wargear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know how much I want to snack working grave yards. Its hard to fight it. So instead when I want to snack I do peanut butter and celery. It helps immensely if you pack your own lunch by the way. I have a lunch and dinner and eat before work as well. However I watch what I snack on all threw the night. No junk food! I am also diabetic so snacking this way helps. I stay away from breads and pastas while I work too. I enjoy them when I'm. On days off with the family, but in moderation. Its all hard. It really is. I quite plenty of times and start over. Eventually it'll stick. Just never give up trying.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I hope there are still some people on this thread...
    I low carb and intermittently fast (generally 16:8 or 18:6) and I work 'the other 9-5' in Security/City Patrol for gov't and commercial buildings, and fire sites and MVA's. I come home by 5:30 AM and get right to bed, wake up around noon or 1 pm, have a couple cups of black coffee. First food is usually around 4 PMish and it's a hunk of old cheddar or some rolled up turkey breast/ham/ roast beef, or a mini can of tuna with mayo & hot lime pickle. Supper with hubby at 7 PM, snack at around 11 PM when I'm usually stationed in my patrol car at a senior care residence for their night shift changeover. Snack is generally raw veg, home made creamy dip, and a protein drink or bar. I try to avoid driving to the 7-11 or Mac's in the middle of the night while on patrol so I don't get a bag of potato chips or some-such. If I'm called out suddenly (fire or MVA) on my way I will grab a large green tea from Tim Horton's and a couple of the long Pep 'n' Cheddar packages from a gas station stop. That'll keep me fine for 12 hours if necessary.