Drinking Cold Water for Weight Loss

Options
GrannyMayOz
GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
I like the hard science behind anything and found this interesting article about cramps, drinking water, supplements and other interesting things...
proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
"When you drink water, especially cold water, you require some increase in caloric burning to bring the water to body temperature, but that increase doesn’t amount to all that much (the authors did describe this phenomenon), but you also dilute your blood for a bit until the water equilibrates with the fluid in all the tissues, and effect that takes some time. During this time, while the blood is more dilute, the concentration of the various substances carried in the blood decreases. Which would mean that insulin levels would fall. The typical blood volume is about 5 liters, so drinking a liter of water would increase the blood volume temporarily by about 20 percent, which would mean the concentration of insulin and other molecules in the blood would fall by about 20 percent. A 20 percent drop in insulin levels would allow fat to escape the fat cells and would facilitate its transfer into the mitochondria for burning. At least that’s my explanation for the lipolytic effect seen in numerous studies of subjects increasing water intake."

I know this isn't the *hard science* I spoke of, but it sounds sensible. I'll leave you to read the other interesting things on the page/site if you wish.

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Protein Power is the plan I follow.
    I like that it was created by real doctors (endocrinologists) and they teach you how to maintain the weight loss. Most plans back inthe early 2000s neve did that.

I'm thinking about getting a cooling vest because it is so hot here.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    A liter of ice water would require only 37 kcal to be brought to body temperature. So yeah, that effect is minimal at best. The rest I don't know about.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am trying a far infrared heat mat for sleeping that enables one to sweat all night causing a faster heart rate and the burning of more calories. After only one week not sure if the concept is valid or not but seems to reduce morning stiffness. It may be more of a plus for the sellers of far infrared mats. I do try for cold water because 37 calories burned is a plus in my mind. :)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    There is a whole bunch of stuff out there about cold in general being good for weight loss. But I have a medical issue that means being cold is bad news for me, so I keep myself warm and drink cool to room temp beverages most of the time.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've seen the theory about drinking cold water or even eating ice to burn more calories but the analyses I've seen have always left out one factor. The chemical processes in our bodies generate heat and we continuously dump waste heat through evaporative cooling, respiration and other means. If we put a liter of cool water into our stomachs do we burn any extra calories to warm it or does it just cause some heat which would otherwise be dumped to be diverted to our stomachs?

To some extent the same would apply to lowering our room temperatures. Our always on cooling systems adjust to try to maintain a comfortable cooling rate. There is a limit to the adjustments however. I was reminded several times last month that shoveling snow at -20 F and 10 mph wind is much more energy draining than the same activity at 40 degrees warmer.

All of which reminds me of a question which comes up whenever I watch The Empire Strikes Back: How warm is it inside a taunton? Luke warm.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Here is info on Cold Thermogenesis on Jack Kruse's website: http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-easy-start-guide/ I personally would never do this owing to a medical condition that I have, however.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Here is info on Cold Thermogenesis on Jack Kruse's website: http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-easy-start-guide/ I personally would never do this owing to a medical condition that I have, however.

I'm pretty sure that after the first session I would be willing to confess to being the gunman on the grassy knoll.

• Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    Some of this cold water theory (external) was described in The 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferris, based on tracking an athlete spending large amounts of time in a pool. He later did some research on how much time & how cold the water needs to be to make a significant difference. Ultimately he suggests taking cold showers in the am and using neck ice packs in the evening. Both of which feel so torturous I haven't ever found out if it actually works!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    And the other side..the Vedic Indian health people prescribe to not drink ice cold water, it clamps down on the guts and their normal action with food…(my low tech explanation) because we also were not running on the veldt during Paleo times and stopping to get a frosty cold one…our innards are not really as happy with ice dumped in+food. To me it's an iffy way to burn calories. I always have my water without ice for meals; after heavy exercise isn't it risky to chug ice cold liquids? but to each his own.

"Ice cold foods and drinks are immediate ‘killers’ for the digestive fire. They are best avoided totally, but if taken then not directly before, after or together with meals."
    *this is just one link, but they all say this:
    http://www.vedicsociety.org/ayurvedic-diet-for-pregnancy-a-305.html
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    It was more the insulin reduction = freedom for fat from fat cells that fascinated me, but I'm very happy to see the conversation develop and go where it will. All knowledge is good knowledge. Thank you everyone for adding your findings!
  • kuranda10
    Options
    it's been shown (I have no idea which study it was in 2014) that sleeping in a bedroom that is MAX 18C helps promote weight loss and better health.
    Sadly my AC unit only goes down to 18. I miss sleeping in 55-60 F (13C-15.5C)
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    My bedroom is certainly that and less in winter, but I have a heated waterbed so it might not count for me. I suppose it's hot all year round for you Kuranda? Hope you're staying safe from 'Nathan'.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    [quote="KeithF6250;31710664"All of which reminds me of a question which comes up whenever I watch The Empire Strikes Back: How warm is it inside a taunton? Luke warm.[/quote]

@KeithF6250‌ This literally made me laugh out loud, just so you know it wasn't lost in the pass...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I like the hard science behind anything and found this interesting article about cramps, drinking water, supplements and other interesting things...
    proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
    "When you drink water, especially cold water, you require some increase in caloric burning to bring the water to body temperature, but that increase doesn’t amount to all that much (the authors did describe this phenomenon), but you also dilute your blood for a bit until the water equilibrates with the fluid in all the tissues, and effect that takes some time. During this time, while the blood is more dilute, the concentration of the various substances carried in the blood decreases. Which would mean that insulin levels would fall. The typical blood volume is about 5 liters, so drinking a liter of water would increase the blood volume temporarily by about 20 percent, which would mean the concentration of insulin and other molecules in the blood would fall by about 20 percent. A 20 percent drop in insulin levels would allow fat to escape the fat cells and would facilitate its transfer into the mitochondria for burning. At least that’s my explanation for the lipolytic effect seen in numerous studies of subjects increasing water intake."

I know this isn't the *hard science* I spoke of, but it sounds sensible. I'll leave you to read the other interesting things on the page/site if you wish.

Even if insulin levels DID drop, without a change to total energy in or out this isn't going to make a substantial difference in fat stores.
  • kuranda10
    Options
    My bedroom is certainly that and less in winter, but I have a heated waterbed so it might not count for me. I suppose it's hot all year round for you Kuranda? Hope you're staying safe from 'Nathan'.

It gets "cooler" here at night in the winter. I swear the heat makes me hold onto weight.

I have one or two things left to do, but Cyclone prep is complete.
    FitBit says I burned over 1400 activity calories yesterday doing it!

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »

It gets "cooler" here at night in the winter. I swear the heat makes me hold onto weight.

Heat does make you hold onto weight, or at least extra water weight. I had a new wedding ring made a size up from what I need, and use a sizing band on it in the winter so it won't fall off. My hands will double in size in the summer if I'm out in the heat a lot - even worse if I work out.
  • kuranda10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »

Heat does make you hold onto weight, or at least extra water weight. I had a new wedding ring made a size up from what I need, and use a sizing band on it in the winter so it won't fall off. My hands will double in size in the summer if I'm out in the heat a lot - even worse if I work out.

Seeing as how where I live is hotter than Hades 11 months of the year, I am so SOL.

(think Florida Everglades, in July/August and that is what we have almost all the time)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I drink water without ice most of the year. Live in south Mississippi so when it's real hot in July, August and September, I use ice. The water gets hot in the water tubing of the house since it runs through the attic. Super cold in the winter, but gets hot in summer. Yes, I drink our water. We have a small Reverse Osmosis system under the sink that filters our tap water. Is better than bottled for saving plastic bottles, taste, and saves money. Has to be recharged every few years for about one hundred dollars, so saves a lot of money.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Keith - I’m afraid I don’t know what a taunton is so I left others to answer that one ;)
    @SideSteel – yes, totally.
    @Kuranda – glad you’re battened down. Haven’t caught up with news to see if it’s gone past you yet but hope you remain safe.
    @JPW – my fingers swell and tingle when I work out hard, or walk very long distances in summer heat too.
    @Karlottap – I drink my water from the fridge year round, but without ice. If the water warms up too much, to room temperature, I just can’t swallow it. My throat closes up and says ‘no way!’ LOL We have water filtration too, I think it’s worth it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Keith - I’m afraid I don’t know what a taunton is so I left others to answer that one ;)
    @SideSteel – yes, totally.
    @Kuranda – glad you’re battened down. Haven’t caught up with news to see if it’s gone past you yet but hope you remain safe.
    @JPW – my fingers swell and tingle when I work out hard, or walk very long distances in summer heat too.
    @Karlottap – I drink my water from the fridge year round, but without ice. If the water warms up too much, to room temperature, I just can’t swallow it. My throat closes up and says ‘no way!’ LOL We have water filtration too, I think it’s worth it.

@GrannyMayOz The taunton is a Star Wars reference.