6 days post-op gastric bypass

Options
willowmarie12
willowmarie12 Posts: 22 Member
I feel like I should be exercising more, but in a lot of pain still. I am doing treadmill 1x daily for past few days. Any insight on how long it took to really get into a good exercise routine would be appreciated. Thx!! (*)

Replies

• MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks out and I am still not my full self. I wouldn't push it becuase you just had major surgery. My doctor didn't clear me for a month to fully exercise with out any limits. Take it easy, don't want to cause any damage while you heal. If you really want to exercise, talk to your doctor before going ahead with anything.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start! I wasn't allowed to do anything else until 6 weeks after surgery and then they lifted all physical restrictions and just told me to progress slowly and to be careful not to overdo it. Every program is different though :) Great job doing the treadmill every day!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right, movement is good, but you're so close to your surgery that you needn't feel you're not doing enough - you've got one chance heal, take your time, you'll be able to push it harder soon enough.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You could injure yourself. That's the biggest risk with a treadmill. Be very careful, but walking is good and helps you heal.
  • willowmarie12
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel like I he the best chance in my life to be healthy, but I for sure need to take it easy. Dr told me today walking only for the first 6 weeks, and stop obsessing about exercise and focus on healing. .. which is pretty much what all of you are telling me. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and give me advice. Good luck on your own journeys. :)<3
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I can't add anything more than what the others have said, but I am so glad you talked to your doctor. Be kind to yourself right now.
  • jesswagspgh
    jesswagspgh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Girl, at 6 days I felt like I was gonna die. Take it slow, sleep when you can, sip all day long, and take care of yourself.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I was about a month out before I felt like I could do 15 minutes of walking without stopping, and that's on flat ground (I do laps around our pool). Doing that a few times a day then and now, 8weeks out, I am up to 30 minutes at a time.

I began walking in my back yard a few years ago. I was walking around the block and had to sit on the side of the road until my sciatica eased up enough so I could limp home. Since then I stick close to home so when it happens I have a place to sit, plus, spare myself some embarrassment.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I was about a month out before I felt like I could do 15 minutes of walking without stopping, and that's on flat ground (I do laps around our pool). Doing that a few times a day then and now, 8weeks out, I am up to 30 minutes at a time.

I'm two weeks out and seconding this. I did a quick trip to the grocery store and came home exhausted. I run out of energy fast.

And I had a similar experience, Karlotta, but mine was a bad asthma attack. Glad you have a closer to home option!

• KarlaYP
    Options
    The pool has become year round use, one way or another. In it during the summer and walking around it the rest of the year!

cheekitty, you poor thing! An asthma attack?!! How did you make it through that one? I can't imagine! Best to you!!
  • willowmarie12
    Options
    I ended up needing some IV fluid yesterday after trying to go to the grocery ended up with me vomiting and feeling like the grip of death was upon me. ;) so much better now, but going to enjoy a day snuggled up on the couch with my water bottle and doing very little activity. :)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Willowmarie, please rest. So sorry you had to have the IV fluids, but glad you are feeling better. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to slow things down a bit. I didn't go grocery shopping for at least two weeks and then I didn't go alone. I let them push the buggy and lift things. I didn't even drive until week three. I didn't want to create any problems for myself by overdoing it too soon.

Hope you continue to feel better! :)
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had my rescue inhaler, and found a nice curb to sit on for an hour til it passed. :) It was still pretty awful, heh.
  • willowmarie12
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Willowmarie, please rest. So sorry you had to have the IV fluids, but glad you are feeling better. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to slow things down a bit. I didn't go grocery shopping for at least two weeks and then I didn't go alone. I let them push the buggy and lift things. I didn't even drive until week three. I didn't want to create any problems for myself by overdoing it too soon.

Hope you continue to feel better! :)

Had a restful day and feeling good. Thanks for your advice and support. Have a good night! !
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Glad you were feeling better after resting!