Week 2 weight gain?

Options
cheekitty
cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
I'm 14 days off from my surgery (3/2), I'm eating really well; averaging around 500 calories per day, averaging 63g of protein and I'm getting all my water. I'm avoiding carbs, eating protein first... but I'm gaining weight and after 4 days it's starting to get discouraging after 10 days of lose lose lose.

I don't want to sit here and overanalyze what's happening on the scale (I'm going out to get a measuring tape, as we all know that some changes don't show up on the scale), but at the same time, I don't want to sit here and tell myself, 'This is normal, this is OK' when it may not be.

So my question is... is this normal? I know there's absolutely no way I've consumed enough calories to gain 3 lbs back from what I lost.

Replies

• Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's most likely normal, could be based on sodium intake, hormone fluctuations (menses), irregular bowel movements. Don't over analyze and try to stay off the scale. Try to weigh yourself once a week at the most. You will drive yourself batty if you do it more often. You will see changes in your clothing and once a week on the scale and at Doctors appointments. Hope this helps.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you felt frustrated, but I have to agree with Trayjay33. I think that sometimes we (I am bad about it, too) allow the scale too much power. The scale just shows a number. More important, how are you feeling? How do your clothes fit now? How far have you come? As long as you are sticking to your program and doing what you're supposed to, the rest will come. Hang in there.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual. As long as you are sticking to your program, this will pass.
    Your body will do some weird stuff. It's been through a lot.
    Just keep an eye on things, if it doesn't turn around in a week or so, maybe call your nutritionist and go over your eating with her/him.
    Good luck!!!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me not too look at the scale for the first 2-3 weeks because my body weight would fluctuate a lot. Your body is just adjusting.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    cheekitty wrote: »
    I'm 14 days off from my surgery (3/2), I'm eating really well; averaging around 500 calories per day, averaging 63g of protein and I'm getting all my water. I'm avoiding carbs, eating protein first... but I'm gaining weight and after 4 days it's starting to get discouraging after 10 days of lose lose lose.

I don't want to sit here and overanalyze what's happening on the scale (I'm going out to get a measuring tape, as we all know that some changes don't show up on the scale), but at the same time, I don't want to sit here and tell myself, 'This is normal, this is OK' when it may not be.

So my question is... is this normal? I know there's absolutely no way I've consumed enough calories to gain 3 lbs back from what I lost.

Yes this is normal... Most often the water shift can cause increase or decrease of 4 -5 pounds. If you weight every day you have to average over a period of several days to get a true indication of progress.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it finally started going back down today.

I do weigh daily, because once a week or more infrequently feeds anxiety and doing it daily generally keeps me motivated to keep to plan. Thanks everyone! :)
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything on this post. Our bodies aren't perfect measurements of calories in vs calories out. SO many factors go into that number on the scale. I don't own a scale and don't plan on getting one. I get weighed at Dr appts and sometimes when I go to gym. Not more than once a week is good for me.