St Patricks Day meal plan?

Options
Latse
Latse Posts: 61 Member
Looking for an alternative for an Irish dinner for tomorrow.

Rueben, the dressing alone has 4g carbs, corned beef is "corned" with a sugar brine so carbs in that as well, and not even going to touch the rye bread/chips, cabbage and cheese are fine but that just wont hit the spot.

Also thought of a good Irish stew but no carrot/potato or soda bread biscuits makes it kinda a bust too.

I would love to celebrate but don't want to kick myself out of ketosis to do it.

What are your plans?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have two corned beef brisket points in the fridge. Don't plan to eat it tomorrow, actually, but the brine doesn't add enough carbs for me to worry about.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have a corned beef in the fridge too. It's 1 carb per serving, not sure how big a serving is but for St. Patty's day. it's fine. Cabbage and mushrooms will go in there too.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Curious whether we could duplicate the taste of rye bread by adding caraway seeds to a muffin-in-a-minute recipe? Thoughts? I've decided I don't particularly care for corned beef all by it's lonesome (even w/ cabbage), but a low carb reuben might be tasty. Thousand Island dressing could be low-carbed up w/ SF ketchup, mayo, and dill relish...
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I pickled 4 dozen eggs about a month ago in some left over dill pickle juice( kept in the fridge).. I added green food color to 'enhance' there color..

They taste great AND they're green eggs!! Plus I don't worry about them going bad quite as quick when I take them for lunch.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm brining beef brisket too for the first time. If you do it yourself, it doesn't have to have sugar in it or other bad stuff. Tomorrow I'll put it in the slow cooker and we'll have it with cabbage and mashed cauliflower with lots of butter. I'm excited about it, it smells good in the fridge and I haven't even cooked it yet.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    For Irish soda bread you could make some almond flour biscuits and add some caraway seeds for flavor.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Latse wrote: »
    Looking for an alternative for an Irish dinner for tomorrow.

Rueben, the dressing alone has 4g carbs, corned beef is "corned" with a sugar brine so carbs in that as well, and not even going to touch the rye bread/chips, cabbage and cheese are fine but that just wont hit the spot.

Also thought of a good Irish stew but no carrot/potato or soda bread biscuits makes it kinda a bust too.

I would love to celebrate but don't want to kick myself out of ketosis to do it.

What are your plans?
    Here in Michigan we have Chicago Unos restaurant and they have an "all you can eat Guiness Steak Tips" $9.99! Woohoo! That's where I'm goin'

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Irish food is very carb based: potatoes and bread! Bacon steaks with cabbage cooked in butter?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I should have said: I live in northern Ireland and we're having moussaka tonight! Just discovered how low carb aubergine/eggplant is.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just at a really craving point right now were my body is screaming for those carbage foods like the Irish Soda Bread, or Rye bread or any bread, better yet any cake or muffin too.

10 days back into Ketosis and the glycogen stores should be depleted but not keto adapt yet so body is confused on what to use for energy and the world is foggy.

I settled for a casserole like mixture of the kraut/corn beef/swiss cheese and a little dressing. I will just have to deal with the no bread. Also going to use Kerry Gold to saute my zucchini tonight so that counts too right :smiley:
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    I am going to have a low carb reuben for lunch because of this thread! Making low carb thousand island dressing and I've even going to bust out the Thin Slim low carb bread. I don't think I have any rye left, so sour dough will have to do.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We had ours last night. Corned beef and cabbage (with kale). My corned beef has no sugar, and the cabbage is cooked in bacon fat.

corned_beef.jpg
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    That looks great ! We just had ours tonight. I started with grass fed beef brisket from our farm share, and brined it for 1 week in the fridge with a recipe I adapted from Katie the Wellness Mama's site, but without sugar. I cooked it in the slow cooker all day and we had it with steamed cabbage dripping in butter. It came out good but a little salty, so will have to adjust the recipe for next year. Lots of leftovers for low carb rueben tomorrow. Or just cold with mustard eaten out of the hand !
  • janeenmarino
    Options
    This is not an awesome picture but it was delicious! cabbage rolls with grass fed corned beef and Swiss cheese. I just steamed cabbage leaves for a few minutes then broiled some leftover meat and cheese In The toaster oven. For 2 rolls and some extra cabbage in bacon grease it was 6 carbs.

pic7ufa4xj130sx.jpg
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Nice idea to roll it in cabbage leaves. I use lettuce leaves for "sandwiches" but cabbage makes sense here.