Mar 2015 Challenge ~ Mar 16th - Mar 22nd

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,419 Member
Just in Time For Spring: 21-Day Arm-Sculpting Challenge

Getting started: The challenge consists of five basic exercises that help to target all the areas of your arms. Over the course of the challenge, you will increase the number of reps you're doing of each exercise, eventually working up to three sets of 15 reps for each exercise.
Below is an explanation of how to do each of the five exercises, followed by the plan itself.

Choosing the appropriate size weight is key here — you want one that fatigues your muscles by the end of the three sets. If the challenge ever feels too easy, that's your cue to increase the weight of the dumbbells (and if you find you are fatiguing too early, decrease the weight amount). Beginners should start the plan with five-pound weights, and for you more-experienced lifters, make this challenge work for you by grabbing a heavier set.

Bicep Curl

• Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand at the sides of the body.
• Keeping your elbows close to your side, slowly raise the dumbbells to the chest.
• Moving with control, lower back to the starting position.
• This counts as one rep.

Upright Row

• Place a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body, shoulders over the pelvis, and a slight bend in the knees.
• Keeping the dumbbells close to your body, raise them to your shoulders, bending your elbows out to the sides. Slowly lower them to the starting position.

Triceps Kickback

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand, hinge forward from your hips, bending the knees slightly. Bend your elbows behind you.
• Straighten your arms behind you with your palms facing in. Your arms should be parallel to the floor. Squeeze your triceps, and then return to the starting position.

Overhead Shoulder Press

• Hold a dumbbell in each hand just above the shoulders, palms facing in.
• Straighten the arms above you.
• Bend the elbows coming back to the starting position to complete one rep.

Bent-Over Reverse Fly

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand with your closed palms facing out, stand with the knees slightly bent. Keeping your back flat, bend forward at the hip joint.
• Lift both arms to the sides, maintaining a slight bend in the elbows, and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Then, with control, lower the dumbbells back together.
• This completes one rep.

Week 1 of our 3-Week Plan

Choose an appropriate size dumbbell (three to eight pounds) and follow the plan below. Every other day is a rest day to give your muscles a chance to rebuild and become stronger.

Day 1 8 reps of each (3x)
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 8 reps of each (3x)
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 10 reps of each (3x)
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 10 reps of each (3x)

Let me know what you think. Have FUN!!!

Chris

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Chris! :angry: STRENGTH :angry:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Paula
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed, weights!!! :D
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Cool stuff!

<3B)<3

Chris
  • lcarls71
    Options
    Challenge completed x3, WHEW!!!

Getting back to weights and feeling strong again.

Lynnette
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,893 Member
    Options
    We have a plan? Chris there is a plan! Wait you already know. And they are geared towards the upper body! Fabulously fun.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Lynnette - Great job!!

Got 4.21 miles done in an hour then headed to the gym for 45-50 minutes w/our trainer. I'm good for today. Now I just have to get with it for tomorrow. The weather was perfect at 4:30 this afternoon...breezy and cool. Hoping tomorrow is the same.

My eating was right on today. I'm pretty tuckered out...think I'll go looking for my pillow.

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lynnette, so proud of you. I'm going to try to jump in tomorrow, and start with a rest day today (did regular workout yesterday).

I am fighting private demons trying to put up with pain levels and quit pain meds. I want to stop them so bad that it makes me skip them too soon I think. Shelley, thanks for the support - I don't want to get addicted.

Along with other circumstances, today was just a tough day. [But see, the med makes it all feel okay..... Want to learn how to feel that way - naturally!] Maybe some curls will trigger endorphins. :bigsmile:

Paula
  • cpanus
    Options
    Paula if you take your meds only when you start to feel pain, you'll do okay. The docs write down...every four hours...but sometimes that is too soon. You will give up the pills when you are healed. I know you will. You'll replace them with our challenges!!!!! <3:o

I'll be getting to the challenge this afternoon...oh, wait...it's a rest day!! However, I didn't get all of them done with our trainer yesterday, so I'll get them done tonight. I'm going to walk after work too.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Kathy, I saw the picture of you and your tennis racket on your profile. Your outfit is so CUTE! Well, actually you're the cute one, but the outfit is tres chic!

Paula
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Got the wedding dress and now I'm back at work. Work is crazy busy but that's a good thing. Did do my running today. Will do some of the challenge tomorrow!
  • lcarls71
    Options
    Challenge complete x3 tonight. Did some bathroom scrubbing also so I am counting that as well. I hadn't realized they needed such a scrub down :# all better now though.

I think we are finally finished here with the white stuff. The sun has been coming out and it is warming up so the grass is visible, <3 The roads are nice and clear always so maybe some walking outside this week.

Kathy congrats on the match wins. Sounds like a good strong start for you and your team mate.

Paula, honey, my mom felt the exact way you do about the pain meds but she did just fine. In the beginning she had to take them in order to do her therapy. Then as her mobility/ motion got better she stopped taking them. The doctors told her in 12 weeks she would be feeling MUCH better and she does. Rest and do as the doctor says missy ;)

Trigger challenge is going so-so. I am training a fella at work so I have too much down, lazy time which means boredom. For me boredom=vending machines!!! >:)

Enjoy the evening ladies.

Lynnette
  • cpanus
    Options
    Lynnette do you rent yourself out for the bathroom gig? We don't have white stuff here! Good job on the challenge. I understand perfectly about training somebody and being bored stiff!! I had sliced up bell peppers and a sliced pear for snacks today and they went fast! I'm hoping tomorrow will be busy.

Clara congratulations on getting the wedding dress. I know it's a very trying process...bwahahahah!

No trigger foods for me today either! My eating was right on! I got 4.5 miles done when I got home around noon then I got our challenge done X3 with a bunch of steps in between the exercises!! 20,532 steps -- 10.9 miles total! It's been a good day!

I hope you all have a great Wednesday!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Kathy, Paula said tres chic! You are wearing tres chic. WOOHOO

Paula if the pain does not lessen soon speak with your doctor. I had a cesarean and did not take pain killers. The stomach has different pain levels than a knee. I was also 20! I had teeth that made me take hydrocodone though. And I broke them in half when I could. I am glad you read up on them. Information is power!

ok have to go. will finish later. My cat is laying on my arms! challenge x 3

Shelley

• cpanus
    Options
    Shelley are you using the cat instead of weights? Wait...a...minute...how much does the cat weigh???
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Challenge completed x3 and 90 minutes tennis practice. I will take my challenge rest day tomorrow but I do have tennis practice again.

Paula - that picture was taken 2 years ago when I first started playing tennis. I will have to post a new one very soon. I'm looking and feeling a lot better in my "tres chic" outfits. :) also I understand how you feel about the pain meds. After my hysterectomy I just couldn't take them after the first couple of nights. I had my doctor switch them to Motrin 8. Hopefully the pain will lessen very soon.

Clara - congrats on finding the dress, you guys got the hardest part done.

Shelley - wait until you see my "tres chic" pink & white outfit. Picture coming soon.

Chris - congrats on no trigger foods and your many, many miles!

Lynnette - thanks for the congrats...we are off to a good start.
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    cpanus wrote: »
    Shelley are you using the cat instead of weights? Wait...a...minute...how much does the cat weigh???

Not sure how much Crash weighs. At least 15 pounds I would guess. He started this nightly ritual after Whiskers.......well you know. But no, I used real weights! lol. He actually jumps up on my lap. Lays across my arm and pins my hand down with both his paws. Then he presses his face into mine. I have to brush him for at least 15 minutes before he will release me. <3 Rocky of course just laughs.

Kathy pink and white! tres chic for sure. :D

Clara we need photos!

Shelley
  • PaulaKro
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What a fun challenge. Love that it is not intimidating and thus easy to get back into. Did all three sets. Only used 5# weights, though (unlike the 15# feline crash weights Shelley uses). :laugh:

Sounds like your fur babies really love you, Shelley, just like us! :heart_eyes:

Kathy/Clara: Pictures! :sunglasses:

Lynnette, Anything we can do to help you fight the terrible vending machine monster? :angry::cookie::angry: Or are you okay because you work them off? So glad your Mom is feeling better!!!

Chris, Nice! (everything) :heart:

Paula
  • cpanus
    Options
    Paula I'm glad you like the challenge! Good job!

Shelley we had one of those big kitties once. His name was Toby. Cool dude!

Kathy and Clara...pics, please!

Got through work without Shelley having to come cuff me but just barely. Seven work days to go and a couple of them are half days!! I've managed 7.17 miles so far and now I'm going to do some of the exercises our trainer sent home for me to do.

I hope you are all having fun! ;)

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Chris your trainer is sending you home with more exercisers! Your trainer is a sadist. Wow, only 7 days to go, work days. Fabulous. I have a set of pink cuffs, I could use them. I love using them on big men who hit women or kids! B) I wish I could post an old photo of my daughter and a kitty. He makes Crash seem little. Crash was good with the exercises, until I tried to do kick backs with him. Muahaha

Paula X 3! Excellent girlfriend! Chris got this workout perfect. Well I did have to add some skull crushers. Crash thought that was super fun! One kiss, two kiss, three kiss! <3 Love that guy.

Took hubby and the boys for a walk tonight. I skipped our workout since I was a bit sore. >:)

Shelley