Who is here due to pre diabetes/type 2, insulin resistance, etc.?

Options
13»

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    <snip>
    The data just shows people dropping out of studies or increasing their carb intake with time. Usually no reason is given, although sometimes people drop out of studies due to medical issues.

The book I mentioned includes a section that lists success factors from people who have stayed with low-carb for years.

There's also a website that specifically tracks people who have lost weight and kept it off for over year. Ah, here it is:
    http://www.nwcr.ws/

They provide some interesting data on success factors. Seems exercise might be one of them. :)

Thank you for the clarification and extra data wabmester.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I am probably pre-diabetic but everytime the doctors test me they say "you're fine"
    The symtoms I have indicate otherwise, so I started prick testing on my own.
    My numbers do in fact follow the Normal line in the chart above. While eating less than 50g of carbs a day.
    A plate of pasta sends me into the 180-200 range. But yep doc ... I'm normal. :s

Yeah, I only started testing after starting keto.

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am probably pre-diabetic but everytime the doctors test me they say "you're fine"
    My numbers do in fact follow the Normal line in the chart above. While eating less than 50g of carbs a day.
    A plate of pasta sends me into the 180-200 range. But yep doc ... I'm normal. :s

What are your morning fasting numbers looking like, and how long have you been doing low carb?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The problem with the usual tests that doctors do is that it's only blood sugar. They never test insulin unless you specifically ask. Before your pancreas gives out, though, your insulin levels rise in order to keep your blood sugar in that normal range. Keeping a low carb diet also keeps your A1C down (because you keep the spikes down), which further masks any insulin resistance issues. It's not until they test insulin can they really say whether you're fine in that regard.

I feel like I have to teach this to every doctor I come across, though my last one got the point pretty clearly when my A1C was 5.5, and my fasting glucose was "only" 109 (technically high, but not enough the doctor deemed an issue, due to my A1C). She thought it was fine until I got her to test my insulin. It was 33 (ideal is....like...5, but anything under 20 is considered "normal"). Went from "fine" to "let's get you an endo" in no time flat, let me tell you!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The problem with the usual tests that doctors do is that it's only blood sugar. They never test insulin unless you specifically ask. Before your pancreas gives out, though, your insulin levels rise in order to keep your blood sugar in that normal range. Keeping a low carb diet also keeps your A1C down (because you keep the spikes down), which further masks any insulin resistance issues. It's not until they test insulin can they really say whether you're fine in that regard.

I feel like I have to teach this to every doctor I come across, though my last one got the point pretty clearly when my A1C was 5.5, and my fasting glucose was "only" 109 (technically high, but not enough the doctor deemed an issue, due to my A1C). She thought it was fine until I got her to test my insulin. It was 33 (ideal is....like...5, but anything under 20 is considered "normal"). Went from "fine" to "let's get you an endo" in no time flat, let me tell you!

This is very helpful! So do you recommend testing insulin ASAP in the beginning stages to determine what the real problem is? Makes sense to me??..... Otherwise I feel I'm taking a shotgun approach, and don't know what I'm dealing with.....
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

This really annoys me too. I have PCOS and have had my insulin tested a number of times and I'm currently on 1500 mg/day metformin ER. Probably don't need to be any more, but I consider it a beneficial drug and don't plan to go off any time soon. DH is diagnosed as a type II diabetic and has never had an insulin test - I keep telling him to ask for one and he keeps "forgetting". He's also only on 500 mg metformin ER/day and because his A1C is "fine" (5.4 or 5.5 I think last time he checked) apparently neither he nor his doctor seem to care what his insulin levels are. Maybe it is fine, now (he eats LCHF as well) but it would be nice to know for sure!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    T2 here. My diagnosis was rather recent, September 2014 although I've been trending high for years & have significant family history. I started by "eating to the meter." Last fall my numbers after something like a pasta meal were similar to what was shown as Prediabetic on the chart above. Today my numbers are very close to those labeled as Normal when I have a low carb meal. When I have a "moderate" carb meal they are about midway between Normal & Prdediabetic. Of course what I consider "moderate" would probably be considered low by most people. It also helps my numbers and overall health that I am about 75% of the man I was last summer.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Excellent work, Keith. I'm still 93% of the man I was last year. I need to keep shrinking. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

This is very helpful! So do you recommend testing insulin ASAP in the beginning stages to determine what the real problem is? Makes sense to me??..... Otherwise I feel I'm taking a shotgun approach, and don't know what I'm dealing with.....

It's definitely worth getting it tested. That way you know for sure whether or not it's soon to become an issue, and you can start taking steps to deal with it before you need drugs and before the sugar levels start outrunning your body's ability to repair the damage they cause.
    If I were diagnosed as being pre-diabetic, I would start exercising like crazy, and eat as close as I could to a 0-gram sugar (both refined and from fruit), 0-gram grain (cereal, pasta, bread, rice, corn) diet.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, avocados and tuna fish for lunch, chicken, beef or fish for dinner with a huge side salad.

So what does the ADA recommend? A diet loaded with "healthy whole grains." And then they say it's OK to have small portions of junk, like cake.

The question is, why?

Because diabetics are at risk for heart disease, and everyone knows that fat is bad for you! (*shakes head*)

What I find really sad are the number of people in my life who are diabetic or prediabetic and who believe the garbage about "healthy whole grains" and "40g carbs per meal and 25g carbs per snack" and won't listen when I try to tell them that there's a better, more effective way, even when what they're doing is actively doing harm to some of them. :cry:
  • NewBeginningBren
    NewBeginningBren Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm recently diagnosed type 2.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

What are your morning fasting numbers looking like, and how long have you been doing low carb?

Sorry, I just saw this

I've been doing low carb off and od for at least 10 years. I just started consistantly testin in the past 60 days when I started LC again.
    It took 30 days for my glucose to even out and now I'm at 80-90 for morning fasting numbers. And that was only after I dropped from 50 ish to 30ish grams of carbs a day.
    At 50 g it was between 90-110.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm another type II, PCOS, insulin resistant, low carber long term. No meds for over 8 years, controlled by food to a 4.9 a1C. Started ketogenic last month, and now instead of maintaining/extremely slow losses of less than 3 lbs a month, I am finally shedding some real weight.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ldmoor wrote: »
    I'm another type II, PCOS, insulin resistant, low carber long term. No meds for over 8 years, controlled by food to a 4.9 a1C. Started ketogenic last month, and now instead of maintaining/extremely slow losses of less than 3 lbs a month, I am finally shedding some real weight.
    Outstanding.
  • Healthymom_5
    Options

OK! I am seeing my sugars go back down again, but still want to know my insulin levels. I know my dr. will cooperate. thanks!!!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options

Sorry, I just saw this

I've been doing low carb off and od for at least 10 years. I just started consistantly testin in the past 60 days when I started LC again.
    It took 30 days for my glucose to even out and now I'm at 80-90 for morning fasting numbers. And that was only after I dropped from 50 ish to 30ish grams of carbs a day.
    At 50 g it was between 90-110.

Great results! I am similiar in starting at hovering around the 100 mark and really want to see consistent 90 and lower. Saw my first midday 80's today!! So I think I'm on my way.
    Thank you!! Very encouraging.
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    T2 here. My diagnosis was rather recent, September 2014 although I've been trending high for years & have significant family history. I started by "eating to the meter." Last fall my numbers after something like a pasta meal were similar to what was shown as Prediabetic on the chart above. Today my numbers are very close to those labeled as Normal when I have a low carb meal. When I have a "moderate" carb meal they are about midway between Normal & Prdediabetic. Of course what I consider "moderate" would probably be considered low by most people. It also helps my numbers and overall health that I am about 75% of the man I was last summer.

Nice work on the weight loss and progress!
  • Healthymom_5
    Options
    If I were diagnosed as being pre-diabetic, I would start exercising like crazy, and eat as close as I could to a 0-gram sugar (both refined and from fruit), 0-gram grain (cereal, pasta, bread, rice, corn) diet.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, avocados and tuna fish for lunch, chicken, beef or fish for dinner with a huge side salad.

So what does the ADA recommend? A diet loaded with "healthy whole grains." And then they say it's OK to have small portions of junk, like cake.

The question is, why?

Excellent advice. I notice that calorie restriction really helps me, even when low carb. Ridiculous that ADA and AHA recommendations are making people sicker ;(