Hello! I'm new!

Options
seasicksquid
seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
Hi there everyone!

I'm new here, but have been around on MFP for a while. My name is Lauren and I am 30, living in Louisiana. I work in IT and live with my wonderful partner who I'm gonna husband up sometime in the next year or so.

About my weight:

I have struggled my entire life. What was once baby fat became real fat as I grew up. My parents really tried to help, but they also struggled. I was fed up with it, and at 19, I had Gastric Bypass, and lost from 360 to 240 in the following 2 years. I struggle with depression, and eating and laying around are my two big struggles when I am depressed. I gained back up to about 290 over the next few years. My last big push to change my lifestyle was about 2 years ago with Keto, and I got back down to that magic 240 number. However, in the last year dealing with job stress and depression and the removal of my gallbladder, I'd gained back to 325. I blame BC and antidepressants for about 30 lbs of that, as that piled on very quickly in the last few months without changing eating habits.

About weight loss surgery: I don't regret my surgery one bit, but I always have to remind myself and others, it is just a tool. You can abuse it. I did for sure. I had a lot of opportunities open to me in the time after my surgery, things I never thought I'd be able to do. Backpacking across Africa alone for 1.5 years! Learning how to be okay with my body at any size. Never having to worry about diabetes, because my body will never be able to handle enough sugar to become diabetic. I do struggle with anemia and frequent nausea, but I feel like those are tradeoffs. I wish I didn't ever have to have had surgery, but it is what it is.

I am currently 318, which is ~40 lbs from my highest. I don't ever want to see that number again. Never.

So, I'm here. I'm focusing on not feeling like I need to stuff myself to be happy, as well as exercising as much as I can. Since I started a week ago, I have joined a gym and either gone there or rode my bike. This weekend I did 20 miles, and I am contemplating riding to work (~6 miles). I did a test ride this weekend and discovered I am less afraid of the exercise than I am of cars, so it may happen.

Feel free to friend me. :)

Replies

• craftscout
    craftscout Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    *waves* Hi! I'm new, too, but I am liking what I have found so far in this group. :)
  • rdmoore85
    rdmoore85 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren! Welcome to the group.
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have had quite a journey! I wish you much success with MFP. It's a great way to realize what you are actually eating, and modify your intake. I've only been here since January, and am frustrated how slowly it's going. But I can't do much exercise yet, and I'm 60 yrs. old. Two strikes against me! Ha send me a friend request, and I'll certainly cheer you on! There's a friend on here that had a bypass, and she went from wheelchair to biking! She has lost almost 200# now. That amazes me. I'm too chicken to get surgery. I hate nausea, and am just scared. So I'm trying this.
    Best of luck to you! MFP is a great community!
  • MrsRoberson12
    MrsRoberson12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
  • lillie917
    lillie917 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for sharing your story.