surgery in 9 days

Options
Kleona29
Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
I'm getting ready to go on my liquid diet in a few days. I'm getting a bit nervous. I keep wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I'm pretty sure I am since my health is really starting to suffer with my weight, but it seems like such a drastic thing to do to lose weight. But I keep reading everything everyone is sharing and it all sounds so positive. That gives me hope. I guess i just wanted to air out my nervousness. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Replies

• Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be nervous and excited at the same time. You are making a commitment to take control of your eating habits and health. It's not a easy fix and it will take work. All in all it's worth it. Congratulations and know everyday may not be perfect but it's a journey that's has a rainbow at the end.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Nervous is normal. It is a major surgery. But you've obviously made a well-considered decision about the effects on your health of having the surgery versus not having it. When you get nervous, just remember all those reasons and that you are doing this for long term good health. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you've made it this far, you know it's right for you and you are prepared. It's normal to be anxious. I can tell you that having this surgery is one of the best decisions I ever made, absolutely no regrets.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm four weeks out now, and I have no regrets at all. This is such a positive step to take in gaining control of your relationship with food. Good luck on your surgery - you will do great!
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else here. It is totally normal to have the "second guessing" thoughts. Now that I've had the surgery (Monday, March 9), my blood sugar levels are vastly improved! I am over the moon about that alone! I haven't had indigestion either. Write a list of the reasons you opted for the surgery. What brought you to this point? And then stick to that and know you're gonna do great!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I was so excited about finally getting the surgery that I had no time to be nervous. It took almost a year from my first phone call to find out what I needed to do till they laid me on the table. I did go through a roller coaster of emotions during that time. But when it was all said and done, I KNEW that this was the best thing that I could do. If some one constantly suffers from tonsillitis they remove their tonsils to keep they healthy and from getting sick again. I realized that what I was doing was no different. I was an athlete, I've lost weight, I had the knowledge. But nothing I did was working anymore. This was my last option to become healthy. This is what I had had to do to no long be pre diabetic. This is what I had to do to lower my blood pressure. This is why I had to do to save my knees. This is what I had to do to make sure I lived long enough to see my kids and eventually my grand kids grow up. After realizing all of that I had so much peace about my decision the only thing I had left to feel was excited.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think we were all nervous, for sure. It's completely normal. And even though I'm only 5 weeks out from having my gastric bypass, it has already made an enormous difference in my life and I'm glad I did it. And I'm more excited about my future than I have ever been!
  • moonlitrose25
    moonlitrose25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a little nervous but more excited. I get sleeved on 3/25/15!
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. What great responses. I feel much less stressed. This is a great group.
  • lmbalders
    lmbalders Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I am being sleeved on April 6th. Little nervous but excited also! Good luck on your surgery! Feel free to add me! : )
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Hey Kleona. I agree with everyone. It's natural to be nervous/anxious/excited. How long ago did you start the process. It too me 18 months from the day I got the referral from my dr to the day of surgery. So, I had a LOT of time to think about everything. And even up to the last few minutes I had nerves about it. I knew my eating would never be the same but I also knew that this is the most positive think I could do for my health.

I'm only 4 days post op but I feel great. As I've mentioned in another post, I have gotten a hungry a bit but nothing like when I had my regular stomach. So far, so good. Do the right things for your health and you'll be rewarded in spades!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    having sleeve surgery on April 1st. yeah, I know April Fool's Day. a little apprehensive, but looking forward to it. after a lifetime of up and down weight loss and gains, this additional "tool" will be a great help