Going on vacation for a week, YES! Any LCHF/Keto advice?

Options
VRay99
VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
I'm headed out tomorrow for vacation for a week to a much needed warmer climate! However, I'm a little nervous about sticking to LCHF. I'm T2 and keeping my carbs 30g and under really help keep my bs in normal range. I'll be eating out for most main meals and that makes me a little nervous about sticking to plan. Any advice?

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Eating out can be alright....stick to meat and green veggies. Ask for extra butter. Not sure about sauces as you don't know how much sugar went into them. Eat all the rib eye!!!! Yummy!

As far as drinking... That's up to you, but at least steer clear of the fruity beach type drinks.

Have a wonderful and relaxing time!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask for swaps from menu items. I did that recently and had *only* the grilled fish from one meal (didn't know what kind of fat they'd use for fried) and *only* the cauliflower cheese from another dish. They didn't bat an eyelid and called it 'Specialty Fish' when the waiter delivered it.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Most places at least serve burgers, just ask for them served on a bed of lettuce or spinach, and all toppings (esp high-sugar ketchup) on the side. Extra bacon, cheese, and mayo!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This link was posted in another thread recently.
    ruled.me/keto-and-fast-food-on-the-go/
    Unfortunately I read it just after I returned from my recent road trip. It refers to specific restaurant chains but I think the guidelines can be applied in a lot of places.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I eat out and visit theme parks regularly. If I can do it, anyone can. Look for meat based dishes with no sauce (or fat-based sauces), skip the sides or go with low carb veggies, drink unsweet tea, coffee, water, or diet soda. You can carry around some jerky, nuts, or pork rinds--if you're a snacker. I find that unnecessary.

I have been known to pre-cook burger patties, put them in plastic bags, and walk around with them in my pockets. You don't need to go that far. LOL
  • VRay99
    VRay99 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awesome you guys thanks for the great advice!! It all sounds very do able, well, except Goats suggestion with the pre-cooked burgers.....um, I think I'll leave that one to him!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    lol, the weirdest thing was when people found out that I had hamburger in my pockets. The first question both of them asked was, "is it raw?"

Yep folks, that's the reputation I have amongst the people who know me best. I am apparently that guy who just might be walking around with pockets full of raw hamburger than he intends to eat. :wink:
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    lol, the weirdest thing was when people found out that I had hamburger in my pockets. The first question both of them asked was, "is it raw?"

Yep folks, that's the reputation I have amongst the people who know me best. I am apparently that guy who just might be walking around with pockets full of raw hamburger than he intends to eat. :wink:

Remind me not to invite you to go to the dog park with me... ;-)