Fitness Trackers for in the pool

Options
ashpile83
ashpile83 Posts: 9 Member
Has anyone found a fitness tracker that is actually waterproof? I keep finding some that are splash proof or water resistant, but I have not found one that I can actually swim with. Can anyone help?

Replies

• kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine and have not had issues with it in the water. But I also find that it doesn't track my workouts perfectly and it doesn't give you a lot of info about your swimming. It really just tracks how long you swim and gives points based on time. As a side note, I originally bought the Misfit Flash which is the cheaper version and also supposed to be waterproof but it is not!!
  • Suibabe
    Suibabe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ashpile83 wrote: »
    Has anyone found a fitness tracker that is actually waterproof? I keep finding some that are splash proof or water resistant, but I have not found one that I can actually swim with. Can anyone help?

Garmin swim watch. Waterproof to 50 meters. I have one and it's made a huge difference to my swim sessions.

"Garmin Connect serves as your interactive online logbook. After your workout, download the data wirelessly to your computer. Easily view time, distance, stroke type, pace, cadence, stroke count, calories burned and more for a length, an interval or your entire workout. Garmin Connect also shows your efficiency/swolf score as recorded by your watch." - Garmin.com
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and it is waterproof (the only Fitbit model that is). I still have to enter my lap swimming as a workout since it only counts the odd "step", but it works really good in tracking steps during my water aerobics class.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit Flex and it is waterproof (the only Fitbit model that is). I still have to enter my lap swimming as a workout since it only counts the odd "step", but it works really good in tracking steps during my water aerobics class.
    And by the way, 96 lbs down is fantastic!!!
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Suibabe wrote: »
    ashpile83 wrote: »

Garmin swim watch. Waterproof to 50 meters. I have one and it's made a huge difference to my swim sessions.

"Garmin Connect serves as your interactive online logbook. After your workout, download the data wirelessly to your computer. Easily view time, distance, stroke type, pace, cadence, stroke count, calories burned and more for a length, an interval or your entire workout. Garmin Connect also shows your efficiency/swolf score as recorded by your watch." - Garmin.com
    How accurate do you find the data is? I was looking at that one (though I def can't afford it right now).

• Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Swim watch is pretty dang accurate. There are some things that can screw up the distance like slowing down/stopping in the middle of a length or switching strokes in the middle of a length. The only thing that I can say that is "bad" about the watch is that it can't estimate calories burned for lengths that are swum while in drill mode. Since drill mode can't detect what drill you're doing, it can't determine your calorie burn. So you have to add calories burned to the watch's total if you did a lot of drills to compensate. If you only do 5% of your entire workout in drills, it won't really matter.

But other than the Garmin Swim watch, there really aren't any other wearables that track swimming other than the high end watches like the Garmin Forerunner 920XT and other multisport watches. The Apple Watch might but I don't know much about the Apple Watch.
  • ashpile83
    ashpile83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all you input! Really excited to go swimming
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Dear god. Please, nobody track my fitness in the pool... At least not yet! ;)
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dear god. Please, nobody track my fitness in the pool... At least not yet! ;)
    lol. You'll be swimming great before you know it. :wink:

Good to know about not being able to estimate for drills. I do a lot of drills, and that would effect my results. But I could definitely see the Garmin coming in useful someday.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it too much of a distraction wearing a my HRM in the pool.
    I haven't bought into the Fitness tracker fad.

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Gutzy - I figure all the tracking I need is when I go to the doctor & my blood pressure is right where it needs to be & my resting pulse rate is in the high 40's - low 50's I'm doing OK.....
  • AquaticQuests
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    I'm with you Gutzy - I figure all the tracking I need is when I go to the doctor & my blood pressure is right where it needs to be & my resting pulse rate is in the high 40's - low 50's I'm doing OK.....
    You have a resting heart rate in the high 40s? That's amazing!

The other day, I was kind of worried I may have over done things during a sprint session (I had slight pain in the chest and backed off immediately), my hands had picked up abit of a tremble, and I went to check my pressure and heart rate as a precaution (I don't have hypertension), especially having read this article: http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?aid=266
    Sobering stuff!
    I've never known my heart rate, but they said it was 68 as they checked the pressure, which I guess is fine (another stat I'm now tracking as well in the MFP app along with blood pressure)!

I would definitely benefit from an HRM in the pool on sprint days, simply because the intensity is crazy, my heart feels like it might just jump out of my chest, and it would be great to have some scientific way to know that I am approaching dangerous levels and should back off, rather than just going with gut feeling!

But on the non sprint days, HRM definitely not needed!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »

When I was 310, my 'resting' heart rate after walking from the waiting room to the exam room was 85. Last year it was 65. :)
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    When I used to run, my resting heart rate was 48. That's one of my goals that I want to get back to. I'm somewhere in the 60s now.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    so if I'm reading things right over at Garmin the smart watch is not a heart rate monitor? So basically an automated lap-counter/timer.
  • Robertus
    Options
    so if I'm reading things right over at Garmin the smart watch is not a heart rate monitor? So basically an automated lap-counter/timer.
    I think there's a HRM chest strap available as an accessory that works with the Garmin watch. Personally, I'm waiting for another stand-alone option in development that does not require a chest strap.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    I think there's a HRM chest strap available as an accessory that works with the Garmin watch. Personally, I'm waiting for another stand-alone option in development that does not require a chest strap.
    The chest strap is a PITA. Have to tape it down and wear a rash guard swim shirt to keep it from flipping over on push off.
    I tried the Finis ear thing. It didn't last and was hard to hear.
    The Garmin doesn't count kick board laps and if you don't glide long enough after push off it misses the count too. The Garmin is only really useful outdoors when it can lock GPS.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yep the Garmin doesn't monitor heart rate, but it does a bunch of other stuff including the auto lap counting. So you may not need it at the beginning, but as you begin to really push and set time based goals over periods or set based, and don't want to bother with counting 100 plus laps eventually, it may become more appealing.
    The Garmin swim doesn't have GPS so mainly for lap swimming, but the pricier ones do so you can do open water and other sports!

There are also online calculators that do help you get an idea of what you are burning based on weight, distance covered and time taken, eg have a look at this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10101324/a-snapshot-of-swim-calorie-calculators#latest
    I am looking to get the Garmin Swim as soon as I can - the analytical tools it has regarding stroke rate, count, laps, SWOLF, etc while doing away with the problem of constantly losing count of my 100 lengths, make it an appealing acquisition for where I am currently! I certainly would have appreciated it when I swam my 10 km so I didn't have to manually in my head count out 400 lengths!

For calories, the inline swim calculators are as precise as I'm comfortable with, except when I'm doing sprints, when I would like immediate feedback on heart rate!
  • Robertus
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    The chest strap is a PITA. Have to tape it down and wear a rash guard swim shirt to keep it from flipping over on push off.
    This is why I would not bother with it. Never tried the Finis thing, but I'll start a thread on the thing in development that I'm looking at. It is a lap counter and HRM, rather than a full-service fitness monitor so it is probably better in its own thread.