Just wondering how long you...

Options
...were off of work after your surgery? I was talking with Lisa this morning and she was saying she has to go back next week (2-weeks post-op). I originally thought I had to too, but was approved for STML for 4 weeks. I don't know how I would have managed going back after only 2 weeks.

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I worked out to about 2 and a half weeks. My surgery was on a Thursday, so I took two full weeks following my discharge. It was plenty.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was off work entirely for 2 weeks and then worked from home for about a week, I think. I was going absolutely stir crazy and felt totally fine (never had pain or nausea post-op, thankfully). Energy was my biggest issue, but I have a desk job so it wasn't a big deal.
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had off for a month but I think I could have gone back the 3rd week. I was going stir crazy that 4th week,lol.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was off work about 2 1/2 weeks. I have an office/sedentary job so it was pretty easy for me to go back at that point. I could have even gone back after 2 weeks.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am a PreK teacher. There is NO way I could have gone back to work before 6 weeks. My job is very physical.
    I was lucky, I had my surgery a week after summer break started, so I had 12 weeks off. I was fine when I went back :smile:
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Two weeks. Desk job. I thought I could do it in one, but found I needed two and glad I took it. I was feeling ok after 7 days, but getting the walking, drinking, eating routine down pat benefitted from the extra time.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    4 days :( it sucked
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I took two weeks off. I felt really good, and I physically I felt like I could have gone back earlier. I did get stir crazy after about 3 days and asked my boss to email me some work. I am glad I didn't go back sooner though, it was good to have the time to adjust, and I was pretty tired those first few weeks. When I did go back to work, it wasn't bad at all because I have a desk job and an awesome boss who told me I could adjust my hours if I needed to.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I took a month. Could have went back may be sooner but NAWWWW!! lol
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'll be off for 12 days total. I'm 3 days post op and I'm at about 90% health right now. I could probably drive my car today if I needed to (but won't for at least 3 more days). I work as a bus driver so my job isn't super strenuous but I do have to navigate a huge vehicle and sometimes bend over to strap in wheelchairs. One of my co-workers came back in 1 week. I thought that was pretty crazy. I think the 12 days I've planned will work out perfectly for me.
  • jktefft
    jktefft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had 4 weeks I think. I had lifting restrictions so I couldn't do my job till those were lifted. Got a little stir crazy towards the end but it was nice to have time to focus on things post surgery
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 weeks. I could probably go back earlier, but I have a mentally exhausting job when I'm healthy, and I'm still running short on energy.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wow - I can't believe how quickly you all felt well enough to go back. I had horrible pain - in one spot in particular. It kept me from bending, twisting, wiping (TMI - sorry - lol), breathing deeply, walking, coughing, sneezing - everything! It was awful and I was so worried about going back to work. I was going back on a Tuesday and the Sunday before that spot that hurt so badly finally "popped" and everything changed. It was AMAZING! I felt wonderful!! I wish I had felt that way the whole time, of course, but I was grateful that I finally got better before I had to return to work because I just couldn't see how I was going to make it at work.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on a Thursday ad was back to work the next Monday, so 4-ish days. I am self-employed so didn't have much choice if I wanted to keep my clients. But I work from home, have a desk job, and and set myself up with a fairly light week that first week. Made it so I took and hour nap mid-day to keep my energy up and took walks around the block 3-4 times throughout the workday. I would have loved to have that first week off but after that I would have gotten bored just sitting around.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I actually feel pretty much like I will be fine on Monday. Like I had told Michelle, if I get too wiped out, I will go take a nap in my car! My boss will be totally okay with it. But considering the low stress, and low physicality, of my job, I am sure I will be fine. I am kind of looking forward to getting back. I am pretty much bored out of my mind. I've read all my magazines. Watched all my DVR'd shows/movies. Laundry is done. I really need to go back to work. LOL
  • Kleona29
    Kleona29 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm a bit nervous now. I only have 10 days and then I have to go back to a very stressful job. And the 2nd 3rd and 4th days will be extra stressful. I have to teach a 3 day long training class and I've never done anything like that before. I guess I'll have to trust that to God and the encouragement I get her. Both are essential to my success.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Kleona, everyone is different. A lot will depend on how you heal and what procedure you're having. I do know a lot of people get pretty wiped out, while others truck along as if nothing has happened.
    Is there any back up for you should you not be able to do the class?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You have a good attitude and that will be a tremendous help for you. Good luck!
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was back to work on day 11 post-op. Desk job but I also went out inspecting properties. When my surgeon found out I was climbing stairs as part of my job, he was thrilled! The weight melted off. My boss was happy to have me back so quickly. I would have gone crazy sitting at home. Don't know how to do that even on my days off.