MFP minimum calories rant!

Options
FatToFit12
FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
It's irritating that you cannot submit your diary entry if your under 1000 calories. I count carbs not calories, and some days I'm just not hungry. After bullet proof coffee, or a high fat/protein breakfast I may not be hungry until late afternoon. There are days when I can eat all day, but then there are days like today where I just don't feel like it. Its one of my few days off, its rainy out, so I caught up on my recorded shows. I didn't move much today, so I didn't eat much..lol. Therefore I had to add calories I didn't eat to be able to submit my diary.

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You don't have to submit for it to remember and count them. All that does is generate the "in 5 weeks you'll weigh ### lbs" that's totally inaccurate anyway. I went through a bout of being sick a few weeks ago, and I think I managed to submit one day the entire week.
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize that. I thought you had to submit to count it for the graphs. Thanks :smile:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I never submit my diary.
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This happens to me ALL THE TIME!! I complain to my boyfriend about how the app is "punishing me again" lol but...you dont have to add stuff you didn't eat. It still logs exactly what you eat it just doesn't post it to your wall and it doesnt "encourage" you by letting you know how many pounds you could weigh in a few weeks... instead it scolds you and tells you how unhealthy it is to eat such few calories. I regularly eat between 800-1200 calories (supervised by my doctor) but I count carbs not calories... so most of the time when I am on the lower end of the calorie count it because as you said: im JUST NOT HUNGRY! :-)
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have found no benefit in ever clicking the "Close This Entry" button. The only thing it provides is the total joke of a weight forecast.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    While I understand the frustration of not being able to close out your diary, people like us who do LCHF are not the reason they do that and are in the minority. So many young women, and women my age even, struggle with disordered eating that that projected number, and the "reward" of being able to be so far under your calorie goal serves as validation of a very dangerous habit. You may only be that far under once in awhile, but MFP is more focused on the girl who does it everyday. Seeing "In five weeks you will weigh 89lbs" is too much of a trigger.

Regardless, this is a free app so....
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    While I understand the frustration of not being able to close out your diary, people like us who do LCHF are not the reason they do that and are in the minority. So many young women, and women my age even, struggle with disordered eating that that projected number, and the "reward" of being able to be so far under your calorie goal serves as validation of a very dangerous habit. You may only be that far under once in awhile, but MFP is more focused on the girl who does it everyday. Seeing "In five weeks you will weigh 89lbs" is too much of a trigger.

Regardless, this is a free app so....

OK. I had not considered it from that perspective. The last time I could have been remotely considered underweight was November 1969 when I had just completed basic training, 8 weeks of no control over my diet or daily activity.
  • SentientGlitterCloud
    Options
    I have closed my diary at ~600 calories and it told me I was way under goal and it wasn't healthy, can't remember the exact quote. Could that have been the web page?
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have closed my diary at ~600 calories and it told me I was way under goal and it wasn't healthy, can't remember the exact quote. Could that have been the web page?

Yes that's what it tells me. Then it won't post it on your wall for friends to see you " completed your diary for the day".