Hello! New to Group

Options
msjloraine
msjloraine Posts: 9 Member
Hi,
I have joined your group to gain some support in losing the 20 lbs I have gained since having a hysterectomy and being placed on HRT. I also have lupus and fibromyalgia which makes increasing exercise very difficult. So that leaves changing what/how much I eat, and finding a way to gradually increase my activity.

- Janice

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I hope we can help you get a handle on what will work for you.
  • msjloraine
    msjloraine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I hope so, too. My hips are approaching record proportions. LOL
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    18 years ago I was diagnosed with mild lupus. I was on meds for a few years (plaquenil and naproxen), but I was able to stop the plaquenil after about 3 years and just do naproxen, and then only naproxen as needed. I have honestly found that the best thing for me was losing weight And exercise. It took care of the joint pain enough that I rarely have to take anything now.

I eased into exercise--at first I was walking 20-30 minutes a day for 3 months or so. Then I did the c25k running program. I was worried about joint pain, but I just kept it very slow and gradual. It is a 9 week program, and I repeated lots of the weeks because I physically wasn't ready to move up. It took me probably 15 or 16 weeks to complete, but I learned to love running, and five years later I am still at it. I am still very slow, but that doesn't bother me much! About 8 months into my journey I started Jillian michaels 30 day shred to add some strength training. Again, I started slowly with the lightest weights possible. Now I have 25 lb weights, and I am still working on my strength. I find that my body craves exercise now, and it actually helps me feel better. Usually if I can just get past the beginning, I know that it will pay off afterwards. I do listen to my body though, and take a rest day when I get that "feeling". I also sometimes do a gentler workout (like biking for me, or alternating walking and running) if I am feeling tired.

I do stay sore to some extent a lot (pretty much all the time), and I wonder if this is because of the lupus, or just old age! I've found that a good long cool down definitely helps, though, and yoga can be great for the sore muscles and joints.

I would encourage you to GRADUALLY increase exercise, and always, always listen to your body. Likely you know when you have done too much or need to rest, and then you should. This is a lifelong thing, so no need to hurry!

The menopause stuff. . . . Well, no help there. I am still definitely struggling!