So Many different opinions .... HELP

Options
Before I forget what I came to ask initially .... What is the BEST kind or brand of Coconut Oil to use???

Now, I've followed different LC/HF groups for over a year. So I've read a lot. This time I'm really trying to get it RIGHT. SO I read MORE. There are so many different ppl giving different advice. Lower Protein, higher protein, not so high fat, the HIGHER the better. Don't count calories, DO count calories. BPC... Vs ZERO caffeine??? Can someone tell me what the real truth is to try to achieve ketosis??

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been using Lou Ann's because of the cost. This brand has no coconut taste unlike the brands that say organic. At least where I shop. For the rest, you have to find what works for you. My calorie counting is sporadic because I eat the same foods almost everyday. The amounts may vary but not by much. Right now I'm focusing on what I eat and when. I eat LCHF when I'm hungry and it really is starting to level out my appetite.

Caffeine and I do not get along. For me that's what all this is about - finding which foods work best for me .
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you want it to smell and taste like coconut, use virgin/unrefined. If you want it to be tasteless, use refined. I'm not very picky about brand, but I'm also not a "clean" purist, either.

Typically, you want low carb, high fat, moderate protein. If you're not very active, that's protein at about .8g/lb of lean body mass. To enter ketosis, most people start around 20g of net carbs (in the US, that's total carbs minus fiber, in the rest of the world that's just the number of carbs on the label). Once you're adapted, you can slowly bump that number up until you find out where your personal threshhold is. Protein is a minimum, carbs are a maximum, and fat is what makes up the balance, eaten until satiety. Don't force down extra fat just because you are trying to reach that number, but aren't hungry.

You'll find 2 threads here that are pro and anti tracking/calorie counting. Read them both and decide which sounds better for you. I personally would recommend tracking at least for the first month or so, until you get used to portion sizes on things you aren't used to normally eating. I track permanently.

Use this to get a base set of ratios to start with http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/, but remember your goal is the actual numbers in grams, not the %. If you have 7% carbs, 40% protein, 53% fat, and your actual goal is 5% carbs, 30% protein, 65% fat, but your carbs are still below your goal and your protein is at or above your goal, you're still fine.

ETA: forgot the calculator link
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I track!!! I have to in order to be accountable. Fat 108g Protein 88g & Carbs set to 18 right now. Thank you for the feedback. I was making myself MORE whacko !!! Lol
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As for caffeine...test and decide for yourself if it's your friend or not. Some people are fine with it, some people aren't, some people can do it in moderation or before a certain time.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared to jump into the lifestyle and just try stuff. Each person is different, and different things work for different people. That's why there's so much advise that contradicts other advise. I get my coconut oil from Sam's Club because it's convenient (where I get most of my other groceries from), and it's cost efficient (I get a HUGE container). Is it the best coconut oil in the world? No. Does it work? Yes. Instead of focusing on getting it "right", try focusing on making it work. There is not right and wrong. It's about what works for you and your body. If something doesn't work, you're one step closer to finding out what does work.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...forgot to mention. I think I have 6 different types of coconut oil in the cupboard, plus red palm oil. The best type is the type you like the flavor of and will use!
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My favorite oil is Nutiva. Unfortunately I don't buy it unless it's on sale. I found a tub of better body coconut oil and so far no complaints.

As far as achieving ketosis- this is what works for me: 20 carbs or less, and I try not to go over 1600 calories. I used the keto calculator to figure out my targets http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/. Staying within those macros has been successful for me.
    I don't do artificial sweeteners, I try not to overdo it on dairy. I live for my BPC.

All that said, I make small tweaks here and there, and on weeks I don't lose for what ever reason, I make myself stay the course. Sometimes weight loss is not linear, and you just have to stick out those times when the scale won't budge and press on. The most important thing is that you try a lot of different things, make small changes, and figure out what works for YOU. :)

Big bonus is this group is great and you can always get good advice and know that we've all experienced some of these same things before. I love this group.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The brand doesn't particularly make much of a difference when it comes to quality, but rather, you want to look at the grade:

Virgin -- this is the kind that has a coconut-y flavor to it, since it comes from pressing fresh, ripe coconuts. I personally think the flavor goes wonderfully with red meats and decent on its own, but can overpower some other things. This is also the kind with the highest amount of polyphenols and other plant-derived beneficial compounds. So, if you're looking for health benefits, then you'll probably want this one.

Refined -- this is the kind without flavor, and is usually cheaper. It won't have the polyphenol content the virgin coconut oil has, though (due to both the refining process and the typical use of copra, or dried coconut). Get this kind if you're just looking for an alternative cooking oil and don't really care about the health benefits from the polyphenols and other compounds lost. However, do be mindful of the refining process used. Favor methods that don't use the heavy chemicals often used in commercial refining processes whenever you can, to avoid getting traces of those chemicals (which are typically not really safe for consumption) in your food supply. Look for expeller pressed whenever possible.

Hydrogenated -- why people feel the need to hydrogenate an oil that is already 90%+ saturated, I have no idea. Don't get this anyway. Hydrogenated oils of any sort are the bad fats. Unless you live in a tropical country, though, you probably won't see this outside of processed foods (fun fact: Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix uses hydrogenated coconut oil).

MCT or fractionated -- this is a specifically refined version that has intentionally isolated the lauric acid from the whole form coconut oil. This is generally expensive and not usually practical for most purposes. Bulletproof Coffee is about the only food application it's viable for. It's often used for things like vitamins (my Vitamin D drops are made with this, for example).

I'm personally a fan of Trader Joe's and Simple Truth (Kroger's store brand) for coconut oil. The oils are good quality and are some of the best prices I've found, at a fraction of the other brands. Trader Joe's price has beaten even the bulk prices from Tropical Traditions.
    Can someone tell me what the real truth is to try to achieve ketosis??

To achieve ketosis? Eat very few carbs and ample amounts of fat (if you get the bulk of your fat from whole foods -- eggs, meat, etc -- then the protein will largely take care of itself).

That's it. Seriously.

Everything else is gravy, pretty much. You might tweak things for health or performance purposes, lifestyle choices, or preference, but most of it doesn't really affect ketosis (though you may see more ketones in your blood after eating coconut oil, due to how its metabolized).

Coffee is a double edged sword. On the one hand, it's got a bunch of antioxidents and whatnot in it that are beneficial to health, but on the other hand, things like the caffeine content, growing/drying practices, and other things can exacerbate health issues like metabolic syndrome. Find out the pros and cons, then determine what applies to you. If you don't like coffee, then don't worry about it, anyway. If you do like coffee, but don't like the cons, then find a good, high quality coffee and drink it in moderation (IMO, a standard sized cup per day is sufficiently moderate; you shouldn't need more than that on keto).

Oh, also -- get a blood ketone meter to track your ketone levels if you're going to track them. Ketostix only work for the first couple of weeks, then "stop working" due to the fact that they measure wasted ketones, and your body stops wasting them after a few weeks. Blood ketone meters (which are glucose meters that accept special strips that read ketones) track the amount in your blood, which is a better gauge of what's being produced and used, and provide you with a specific number instead of a vague color indicator.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    If you can't get Nutiva from Costco, next best value is the house brand from www.vitacost.com
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf‌ pretty much covered it all. The advice I see there that would have been most useful to me starting off is focus on the cards and don't go hungry. The hunger will go away by week 2 or 3. In the mean time just worry about not going over on carbs.
    Protein is easy to fix if you are under and not that bad if you are over (I know.. I know.. neoglucogenesis).

FYI
    I had no coconut oil until my 2nd month in keto. Love it now but did fine without it. I use a brand called parachute that you can get in Indian and Pakistani stores if you have them in your area. It is organic virgin with a strong smell.

good luck.!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mmm I like Nutiva!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Ditto what DragonWolf said. And I might add that if you are on a budjet, you don't have to have a meter. I use the "Sport" model Ketonix breath analyzer. If I truly keep the carbs down and don't cheat MYSELF, I AM in ketosis. I don't use my Ketonix very much and when I do, I am always in the middle range of the keto levels.

Just for fun I checked my ketones after a 38 hr water fast and they were in the red zone...!

https://www.ketonix.com/index.php/product/pre-2015/sport

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups

My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you are shooting for high quality in your coconut oil, Tropical Traditions has some interesting info on tests done on their oil. They have frequent very good sales. Not sure how much difference it makes but we got a gallon container.
    I, like you, am finding what is comfortable and helpful for me. I count calories and am not ashamed to say it :). Keep reading and researching, and experiment with what's best for you. Some eat no veggies,,,I eat as many as I can :)!